Running 0w-20 STP SYN in bmw 340i (B58) do I need to change immediately?

The oil doesn’t have LL 17FE+ marking I’m wondering if that’s a serious issue or if I’d be fine to just push off changing fluids until 5,000 miles, car has 75,000 I never realized this was an issue until after purchasing and installing the oil. I assumed 0w-20 synthetic would be fine as that was what was marked on the hood.

Is there any reason to believe this will do any harm on a short interval?

Short interval no. Long run maybe as these engines aren't good with thin oil. Switch to ll-01. This engine has been spec'd for that, ll-14+ and now ll-17FE+. I think ll-04 also been spec'd but i'm not too sure, though it wouldn't hurt if you did use ll-04. But bmw is just feeling the CAFE pinch like everyone else.

Alright I’ll just run this 5k and change to liquid moly I guess next cycle? I’m not planning on running long intervals regardless and I found this on sale with the right weight and assumed it would be fine.

No need to dump immediately I guess thanks for the reassurance

Alright I’ll just run this 5k and change to liquid moly I guess next cycle? I’m not planning on running long intervals regardless and I found this on sale with the right weight and assumed it would be fine.

Doesn't have to be LM and to be frank it's unspectacular for its price. Good amount of options at Walmart that are ll-01 and one ll-04 being PP euro L 5w-30.

Everyone knows better than BMW, but in my view, your car should get LL17FE+. Some of the suggestions here are crazy far away from that. 0W20 STP is probably okay for a few thousand on an out-of -warranty car, but is in defiance of the BMW standards, while being a middling oil.

Everyone knows better than BMW, but in my view, your car should get LL17FE+. Some of the suggestions here are crazy far away from that. 0W20 STP is probably okay for a few thousand on an out-of -warranty car, but is in defiance of the BMW standards, while being a middling oil.
Should've replied to edy with that.

If it were my car, I would get rid of that oil immediately. It’s probably not going to blow up tomorrow, but I would not put that stuff in a B58. If you are under warranty especially you should run what your manual allows for. If it allows for LL-01FE then run that if you prefer thicker.

People are recommending plain LL01 but I’m pretty sure your manual won’t list that as approved. Motul Specific 5w30 is a good LL01FE option and Castrol Edge Euro 0W-30 (orange label) is plain LL01 but bare minimum HTHS and does have text indicating it’s suitable for LL01FE which may give you plausible deniability with BMW.

If you are out of warranty then Edy’s list is perfect. Again to clarify, the Edge 0W-30 he is talking about is Euro 0W-30 and it has a light orange viscosity text label. Right now I can only find it on Amazon. The pink or other colors are previous formulations without updated LL01 approval.

Last edited:
Probably the full SAPS 5W-40. I don’t think it’s crazy knowing the history of BMW engines and specs, but it’s a big deviation from LL17FE+.
Basically going from the thickest 20 (that's almost a 30) to the thinnest 40 (that's almost a 30.)

Going to an LL01 or LL04 is the same jump regardless of the viscosity on the front of the bottle.

Basically going from the thickest 20 (that's almost a 30) to the thinnest 40 (that's almost a 30.)

Going to an LL01 or LL04 is the same jump regardless of the viscosity on the front of the bottle.
Yes. I am aware. I am not the one that said it was crazy, merely pointing out the most likely trigger for that statement.

The only reason why BMW specs a 0W20 in the US is for CAFE. Everywhere else in the world BMW specs either a 0W30 or a 5W30 oil. I run Ravenol VMP 5W30.

The only reason why BMW specs a 0W20 in the US is for CAFE. Everywhere else in the world BMW specs either a 0W30 or a 5W30 oil. I run Ravenol VMP 5W30.

Not exactly true.

Using Shell's oil finder on their German site, the suggestion is Shell Helix ECT C5 0w-20.

Castrol DE recommends C3 LL-04 0w-30 or 5w-30.

Not exactly true.

Using Shell's oil finder on their German site, the suggestion is Shell Helix ECT C5 0w-20.

Also not exactly true in the sense that we are talking about a very specific and demanding requirement for 0W20. Only a handful are available anywhere. Otherwise, this whole thread would be a rehash of thick v thin, BMW style.

Also not exactly true in the sense that we are talking about a very specific and demanding requirement for 0W20. Only a handful are available anywhere. Otherwise, this whole thread would be a rehash of thick v thin, BMW style.
Yes but there is no demanding requirement for a 20-grade.

Not exactly true.

In recommending Shell Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20, Shell.de is recommending an oil that has BMW LL17 FE+ certification:

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-GB/78712bc6-5684-4bbb-ae2c-db05d5dc101c.pdf .

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it is not available from US distributors. But BMW, Castrol, Liqui Moly and Motul have LL 17 FE+ compliant oils that are. They should all be top choices.

In recommending Shell Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20, Shell.de is recommending an oil that has BMW LL17 FE+ certification:

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-GB/78712bc6-5684-4bbb-ae2c-db05d5dc101c.pdf .

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it is not available from US distributors. But BMW, Castrol, Liqui Moly and Motul have LL 17 FE+ compliant oils that are. They should all be top choices.

It was very likely what BMW had in their 0w-20 LL17 TPT bottles before they switched back to Castrol.

No, fuel economy is exactly why BMW does it. There is no technical reason.

Sure, same as there is no technical reason to deviate from 0w-20 if you don't have conditions prompting a change to 5w-30/40.
My only point is that the Euro cars also have 0w-20 oils available for their emissions goals.

Here's what a German BMW manual says for oil (G20 M340i/440i):
1676219621875.png

tl;dr use whatever you want

Back