bare bones 2012(?) Impreza has duals...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one parked in handicapped at Meijer yesterday and it was a bare bones (steel wheels with hubcaps) and it had factory dual mufflers. I was shocked.

Its one of those "wow" items meant to make people think their cars are more "macho" than they really are.But wait until you have to buy a new system..then you'll be cursing Subaru.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its one of those "wow" items meant to make people think their cars are more "macho" than they really are.But wait until you have to buy a new system..then you'll be cursing Subaru.

I've thought of that.
Our NA Forester has duals, and the marginal cost of a new system, which I'm sure the car will eventually need, will reflect that.
The Subie looks pretty tough with duals, 17" alloys and meaty low-profile tires.
Just don't go racing anybody unless you have the turbo.

A marketing move to appeal to more Americans, cars that appear performance oriented usually sell better in U.S.

2005-2009 Legacys from the base model on up all had duals as well.

2010+ don't unless you get a GT or 6cyl model.

My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with a tiny 2.7L V6 had duals too. Just a waste of parts hanging under there IMO.

These systems were all a single pipe systems until just before the end where they split off to two resonators or mufflers. Just plain goofy IMO.

FWIW, that new 2012 Impreza has some nice looking MPG specs for an AWD car.

Joel

Last edited:
There are lots of cars out there with single pipes split to dual mufflers, or dual pipes that connect and then split again (e.g. V6s or boxers) or big mufflers with dual outlets. Not sure about the base Impreza but in the WRX the sedan has a Y pipe to dual mufflers while the hatchback has a single pipe into a huge muffler with 2 outlets (and each muffler outlet is split into 2 tailpipes which is kind of goofy but looks great IMO).

Lots of car with dual outlets but I can't recall seeing a true dual exhaust on anything other than trucks/pony cars/muscle cars with V8s. Even "serious" performance cars like the 350/370z have setups like this. I'm sure some of it is just for looks but I'd like to think that multiple outlets also allows for more flow without having to have huge tailpipes.

Originally Posted By: ToddGak1
A marketing move to appeal to more Americans, cars that appear performance oriented usually sell better in U.S.

Yep, if it's a 180 degree motor there's no benefit to a dual exhaust other than styling. Perhaps a bit more road-hugging weight.

It could also be an NVH issue. Subies do have a bizarre exhaust note.

Originally Posted By: rationull

Lots of car with dual outlets but I can't recall seeing a true dual exhaust on anything other than trucks/pony cars/muscle cars with V8s.
Crown Vic's and Grand Marquis use a factory H-pipe true duals. Only use a Y into a single muffler on the base or lower level models.

Way to add sportiness to any car even four door,not long ago Subaru was unique car not designed for masses now styling very mainstream.

Not an engineer, but it would seem to me that since it is a boxer engine they would have to bring the pipes together at some point. Since it is AWD, if you combine them in the middle, then the tunnel for the exhaust and the drive-train can get large. I just assumed it was more symmetrical. Never owned a Subie, but test drove a Baja and it handled great- needed to seat 5 for me though so went a different direction.

ref

So it's not possible that this was done to reduce backpressure in the system while still maintaining a civil volume level? The only reason possible is to pander to self-conscious Americans? Huh.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
So it's not possible that this was done to reduce backpressure in the system while still maintaining a civil volume level? The only reason possible is to pander to self-conscious Americans? Huh.

Yes, probably if you crunched the numbers, the second muffler makes the car slower and less efficient due to the added weight... It does look kind of cool though.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Yes, probably if you crunched the numbers, the second muffler makes the car slower and less efficient due to the added weight... It does look kind of cool though.

Splitting the outlets can change the sound dramatically, but rarely does much for small cars.

Just like a Neon, where the double cam muffler was almost unbeatable on the dyno despite being very quiet.

got behind a Lincoln MZZ? (Fusion) what an awkward looking dual exhaust..made the car really sort of.. laughable.

The only reason possible is to pander to self-conscious Americans? Huh.

it's called MARKETING, same as putting a 'spoiler' on the trunk.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
got behind a Lincoln MZZ? (Fusion) what an awkward looking dual exhaust..made the car really sort of.. laughable.

This is one of my pet peeves. You see some cars with tasteful exhausts styled nicely and others that have some grafted on [censored] that looks like I did it myself.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
dblshock said:

you know it may have been the Lincoln Taurus not really sure now but it was like a old jacked-up 60's car from the back and dual exhaust piping hanging all over like a basement at the YMCA..really super stupid in a otherwise sharp car...on Lincoln's website they don't even picture a rear view in the gallery..they know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back