Bang For The Buck New Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what new cars offer the biggest bang for the buck right now? I'm talking about cars generally available right now, not the close out Ford Fiesta from six months ago or the intro priced Mitsubishi Mirage from three years ago.

Has the Chrysler inventory overhang showed up in prices?

Try to be as objective as possible.

Last edited:
2019-2020 VW Jetta
Seen them on the lot, starting at $16.XXX. 2019 models still get the 6yrs/72K bumper to bumper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Mazda has been regarded as having a Big Bang for the buck.

I cannot not agree with Mazda.

If you want a screaming deal, a brand new Ford Fusion is one. 3 different engine choices, AWD if desired. Respectable vehicle, although not class leading now. **Full disclosure, I own a 2017 Fusion.

Not sure what exactly you're looking for as far as size or sportiness but I would think any small or midsize car would be a bargain right now with manufacturers focused on crossovers, SUVs and pickups. Personally, I would think a Honda Accord would be a great buy. Easily the best non-luxury, mainstream car on the market and their sales are/were down (like every car). You may be able to score a nice deal.

If you don't care what you drive, reliability or resale, I guess you can buy whatever is cheap.
Personally, if I am spending the $$ for a new car, I am gonna get what I want otherwise I will not be happy with my purchase.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Bought a 2019 VW Passat for the warranty, the price and the excellent gas mileage (40+ mpg).

Same here.

The Camry isn't something I'd own, but the 4 cylinder has 203 HP and is rated 39 highway, has an 8 speed automatic and a spare tire.
They are taking money off the MSRP on 2020's.

[Linked Image]

The Buick Regal

The hatchback you can get around 20k, while the TourX starts at 25k

I've seen Sparks and Mirages around or even under 10k

Haven't checked, but Sonatas and Optimas(K5) are being replaced with new cars. I'd imaging left overs would be going really cheaply. If you can pick up a Regal hatch for $20K, that would be a great deal.

Last edited:
Don't ever look at the purchase price alone. Look at the overall costs, and the utility the vehicle will give you.

Look for vehicles that are cheap to insure. You'll be paying $1000/yr+ for insurance on the low side on top of depreciation, maintenance, and fuel. All should be considerations.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/cars-cheapest-auto-insurance-rates/

In general , larger, family oriented vehicles are cheapest. Currently the cheapest 2019 model to insure is the Subaru Outback. For instance, the insurance difference between an Outback and Camry is $3000 over 10 years. The Camry Hybrid saves $6000 in fuel over the same period, so you come out $3000 ahead cost wise on those two parameters. Then consider other parameters, like if they fit your lifestyle. AWD vehicles are more expensive to maintain.

Toyotas and Mazdas are super reliable, so if you want something you can keep for 15+ years get one. The Camry would be my choice - big enough, all the current safety features, excellent mileage (especially the Hybrid - or great hwy miles if you have a long highway commute on the regular (45 mpg@75 mph). Fusion Hybrid is another great, reliable choice. Subaru's are great if you live in a snowy area. What good is a vehicle you cannot use in the winter? I love my Accord, but I've been stuck in my neighborhood when the snow is exceptionally heavy.

But I would look for a 2-3 yr old Fusion Hybrid as the best value.

The biggest discount and bang for the buck, Regal TourX. Not only is it a very comfortable vehicle with capable AWD but the exclusivity is fun. You may have to go on a quest to find one, we drove 375 miles down to Vegas to find one, but it was fun. Ended up with a 40.5k MSRP car for 27.9k. No trade in, and 1.9% credit union check in hand, so they didn't make up money on financing.

Downside? well you gotta go find it, they are being discontinued so certain parts may be harder to get in the future, its not "CAMRY", but the pros well outweigh the cons.

If your looking for comfortable and quiet, the Regal line is very nice. Being able to get an AWD wagon version is something that will likely never happen again in the United States of Crossovers. The sportback style is supposed to have quite a bit of room in it as well but when you can have a wagon you just gotta go for it imo.

If your looking for a drive to work by yourself type car then i suggest a VW Sportwagen, also on its way out and with some solid discounts. Being smaller and lighter than the TourX it is the better work beater run about type car that rarely sees passengers.

Maybe its wishful thinking on my part but i think these wagons will have good value later on when you can't buy them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back