Bang For The Buck New Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would add will this be all things equal a possible long term purchase or a turn in the car after the warranty expired?

OP here. For purposes of this discussion I would say a 125k to 150k 7yr. Life cycle. Overall cost of ownership is certainly a buying consideration, but for purposes of simplicity I would keep insurance costs out of it.

Based on discount from msrp (which I admit is a poor correlator to value) the 2wd Buick sedans seem attractive based on my perusal of the nearby major metropolitan market. A four cylinder powering a 2wd Buick is bound to be a drag on the market although the automotive press likes the power plant a lot. Can't complain about the mileage or the interior appointments, it being a Buick and all. The VW wagons are also a good find (I think I remember the 2019s still had the extended warranty on them, correct?)

Inventory seems to be dwindling for both.

Last edited:
If your talking about the 2.0 LTG turbo 4 in the buick, its quite powerful. 290tq is enough to make it feel like you have some power under the hood yet still easy on gas when your not boosting. The AWD models are what i would suggest as you will run into a lot of wheelspin in a front wheel drive with that much power.

there could be many options depending on how much junk-bells + whistles you want or NOT + what size + performance + MPG + price range!!! for a nice midsize my vote goes to the Kia optima base model!! as options are added that add profits at a higher % value goes down IMO. i ask do you REALLY need all that JUNK that can malfunction costing $$$$ in the long run? another thing is how long + how many miles will you rack up!!! lots of questions with lots of answers depending on YOU!! + NOT the advertisers, testers bull, or the sellers!! vehicles with poor reliability as well as short warranties WILL cost more in the long run unless you trade often as many seem to do!

Have not seen mention of trucks. For half tons the Ford XL with the STX option is a lot if truck for the money. For higher end, the Ram Rebel is a good buy.

I always thought the base model Versa was a great buy!

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Have not seen mention of trucks. For half tons the Ford XL with the STX option is a lot if truck for the money. For higher end, the Ram Rebel is a good buy.

I'm in a few facebook groups for the 2019 US Ranger. With the year end clearance stuff going on, people are picking up Crew Cab 4x4 XLT rangers for $26k-28k!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
there could be many options depending on how much junk-bells + whistles you want or NOT + what size + performance + MPG + price range!!! for a nice midsize my vote goes to the Kia optima base model!! as options are added that add profits at a higher % value goes down IMO. i ask do you REALLY need all that JUNK that can malfunction costing $$$$ in the long run? another thing is how long + how many miles will you rack up!!! lots of questions with lots of answers depending on YOU!! + NOT the advertisers, testers bull, or the sellers!! vehicles with poor reliability as well as short warranties WILL cost more in the long run unless you trade often as many seem to do!

with a AAA discount you can get a Hertz Optima LX. Thirteen for an '18 another thou gets you a '19. Girlfriend bought one and they're really nice for the money.

Here in South Florida, the Accord Sport and Accord Hybrid can be found in the low $20K range. That gets my vote, as both are likely to provide reliable service and have good resale. I prefer the Hybrid due to the conventional engine, no chain-belt CVT and better economy.

I'm seeing Chevy Sparks for $8.7k in my major metro reference market. That's so low I suspect a scam, although there are several at that price. If it's legit, I would give it the nod over a Versa for cost effective tin cans.

Any compact or subcompact SEDAN.

Zig while the market is zagging to crossovers.

VW, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan (I wouldn't touch them personally) are all offering great values with excellent features (even in lower trims - salad days, really).

Even something like a Subaru Impreza or Crosstrek can be had for sub $25k if AWD is your thing.

All depends what you want. Bang for buck in sporty, sheer reliability, utility, etc? What I think is great bang for buck is completely absurd to others. That being said... The newer Kia/Hyundai offerings are great.

Your definition of "Bang" probably differs from mine, but here goes:

C8
Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
GTI
Mazda Miata RF
Mustang GT Performance Package
Veloster N

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The Camry isn't something I'd own, but the 4 cylinder has 203 HP and is rated 39 highway, has an 8 speed automatic and a spare tire.
They are taking money off the MSRP on 2020's.

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately Camry has TERRIBLE automatic transmission programming. ...–

I think that I agree with the zigging while the market zags approach. Still, some very good deals on awd have been identified. The effect of overall over capacity in the industry I expect.

The best deals are pretty ephemeral which I guess is to be expected. A lot of general good values aren't great at the moment. For example, there don't seem to be any loss leader type deals on VW Jetta at the moment. Probably the result of successful end of year promotions by the company.Looks like Kia offers a step up in trim and its warranty for the same price as the Japanese cars as as a general strategy, but no more than that.

No discussion about the Chrysler inventory overhang. is it affecting prices, or are there discounts to come shortly?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Mazda6 is starting to look very old.

Honda Civic Sport with manual transmission is a nice sedan.

They probably are not going to invest a lot of money in it when sedan sales are declining overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back