Baldwin or Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

First, when did Wix revise their efficiency numbers? The Product Detail that I saved in July is different than the current one.

These are about the best priced filters I can get around here. I was pretty comfortable moving to the Baldwins which I can get locally but after seeing the new numbers from Wix I guess I'm rethinking it....again.

51040 OLD
50% at 15 microns
95% at 31 microns
Nominal 21

51040 NEW
50% at 6 microns
95% at 20 microns
Nominal 21

B43-S
50% at 18
98.7% at 40 microns
Established Micron Rating? Same as nominal? 18

Whats new about the filter and why did the numbers change would be my question. That filter hasn't been changed ever since I can remember. If the baldwinis a microlite I'd stick with it. It's too hard for me to believe Wix made any substantial changes in filter media

Price being the same or close, Wix. Better specs, but also has silicone adbv as opposed to Baldwin's nitrile. That favors Wix for longer oci's.

That said, both well made and either will get the job done.

Neither. I'd go for a donaldson endurance. 15 microns at 98.7% and 7 at 50%

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: cp3
First, when did Wix revise their efficiency numbers? The Product Detail that I saved in July is different than the current one.

So Wix finally got around to revealing their dirty little secret--that their filters are better than the old mediocre beta numbers they posted for years.

Well, they did pretty well when I tested them, and much better than their published numbers would indicate.

I hate to say I told you so...

grin.gif

I'd go with Wix. It is sturdy, usually more efficient and has the better, and more expensive threaded end bypass valve.

Well, only one of the filters that I use has a bypass (51348) and I don't know how long my son will be running the Saturn once he get's it going. I could always get the Wix for his at least. But ya, I'm going to send out some more emails and see if I can find some better pricing locally. It's not that I don't like Wix, just not their pricing here or buying a crate full online. Those new numbers really seem to leave the Baldwins lacking although, I don't think they'd kill my cars.

I think the 51348 crosses to an HP-1004, but don't take my word for it. I saw a new K&N yesterday (whatever the number, because I use the same 51348 or equivalent) and they had moved the bypass to the dome end on the shorter filter, which I don't like as well, so I bought a Mobil 1 instead.

I had forgotten the filter prices and choices you have are different than in the states.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Really, wow. Wonder how long Wix is going to hold out? Not too many base end bypasses left is there?

Fewer and fewer. Especially on the 3.4 inch tall filters now, because the thread end bypass take up more space for media.

More and more as time goes by, I don't see the point of buying any super efficient filter when it will flush all the bits collected in the bottom side of the canister back into the engine everytime you start the engine cold.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Neither. I'd go for a donaldson endurance. 15 microns at 98.7% and 7 at 50%
That would be good, but there isn't a cross to the Donaldson Endurance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back