baldwin oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching Baldwin oil filters. They have what they call a severe service lube filter. This filter media is said to be cellulose and synthetic media. They are suppose to be good for extended drain intervals. Does anyone have any information or experiances with these filters? Thanks.

Piggy backing on this question....How do Baldwin and Hastings Filters compare to each other. I understand they are manufactured by the same people. Which one to choose?

The Baldwin folks are very helpful. A phone call got me a full set of their books - product guide, cross-references, etc. Several pounds of books arrived about two weeks after the call.

I haven't seen a Hastings filter, but the Baldwins appear to be very well made - heavy duty is the phrase that they like to use, and they seem to live up to it.

Baldwin has two basic types of media - cellulose, and a glass-reinforced media. (That's a gross summary - Baldwin claims that they use 60 different media materials.) They make the latter available on some, but not all models. For example, the basic Ford FL1 (known as the B2 for Baldwin) comes in two versions - a standard, and a high performance version. Incidentaly, filter ratings (Beta, etc) aren't in the books I referenced, but are available from Baldwin, by fax for the cost of a phone call. What is in the books are dimensions, by-pass valve settings, whether there's a anti-drainback valve, and lots of other good stuff.

Baldwin told me that their Hastings filters are identical. They also told me that they produce lower quality filters under different brands...Casite is one, maybe others.

Baldwin is best known in the industrial filter market, and Hastings seems to be geared more toward the consumer market.

Ken

I use Hastings filters right now. As LarryM said, their construction seems to live up to their reputation.

I just wish I could find a larger filter than #LF-402 for my Civic. They are reluctant to recommend a filter with greater capacity ... even though I have the room for it.
frown.gif

The Filtech-made OEM filter is larger for my car and I may just go back to it once all my Hastings filters are used up.

--- Bror Jace

I opened two filters this weekend - a Motorcraft FL1A and a Baldwin B2, the Baldwin equivalent. The Baldwin is better made, with a larger filter element with more pleats and larger physical dimensions. The compression spring in the Baldwin isn't a "C" sheet metal spring, but a real coil spring, that was under compression when the cannister was sealed. The Baldwin paint was even better.

Based on what I saw inside the Motorcraft FL1A, I doubt the common perception that it's a Purolator PureOne, I think that it's the standard Purolator, the Premium Plus.

The Motorcraft isn't a bad filter, Baldwin's just better.

I guess I have a "low end" Baldwin filter on my car right now, a "Pronto" house brand, says on filter & box "Mfg by Hastings". I'll do surgery on it along with the others(a Pure One, a Penske, & a Wix) when I change my oil next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back