Baldwin B2 (FL1A) manufacturing switched to Morocco

I can only find the FL1A for around $8 at both Walmart and Amazon.
Sorry, I meant the FL820S. Do any newer Fords use the FL-1A anymore? I always thought of the FL-1A as kind of an ordinary filter, I never realized they were really anything special (although I’ve run some OG XG8As with success).

Sorry, I meant the FL820S. Do any newer Fords use the FL-1A anymore? I always thought of the FL-1A as kind of an ordinary filter, I never realized they were really anything special (although I’ve run some OG XG8As with success).
That's why I was confused, the thread is about the FL-1A and equivalents, you even mentioned the Puro FL-1A equivalent in the post I replied to, but for the most part the FL-1A and equivalents only really fit old OHV engines and it has limited application as an oversize anymore since for Ford started making the filter adapter housing on most engines closer to the block so that you can't use a larger diameter filter in place of the fl900, I'd use an XG8A on my dad's 2015 2.5L Escape but there's no room for extra diameter so I use the XG3600 or XG2870A.

Ford made a HUGE deal about the dome bypass & silicone ADBV when they were first released
You mean a base end bypass valve? So if the filter bypassed, it wouldn't send any loose debris in the filter down the oiling system.

You mean a base end bypass valve? So if the filter bypassed, it wouldn't send any loose debris in the filter down the oiling system.
Sorry, I’ve been a little under the weather, I meant base end bypass. My mistake. I’m still alarmed at how fast weird things are happening with the MC filters, the FL400S has been a reliable go-to for a long time.

Years ago, there was a Baldwin rep on this site who would occasionally post about their filters. Too bad I haven't seen him around for awhile because I'd like to hear the factory comments on this other than "Meh...it's a global supply chain situation".
I know the sales of Fram 8A equivalents will only be getting less as the years go by, but the tooling for this filter have been paid for decades ago and wonder if they just need the factory space for filter numbers that have have more sales.
OP: There's no chance this is would be a counterfeit filter, would it?

..... I meant base end bypass. My mistake. I’m still alarmed at how fast weird things are happening with the MC filters, the FL400S has been a reliable go-to for a long time.
Only reason I posted about the change in equivalent FL1A bypass location, OP comment regarding Moroccan made Baldwin not having thread/base end bypass "as Ford intended". Based on FL1A at least, 'seems to be', past tense. Can't find FL400S bypass location change reference, pretty sure I read it somewhere. To add to the Motorcraft oil filter confusion, MrCoyoty posted this last month. The second link in the OP there adds the details. Don't know what to make of it.

As for the topic Moroccan made Baldwin, Parker Hannifin (Parker) now owns Baldwin and they show a "manufacturing facility" in Morocco.

Made somewhere doesn't mean a thing. Problem is that sometimes quality control suffers. And, until that filter is used by many, one won't know whether the quality is good or not. Parker is a pretty good manufacturer. But, there were plenty of manufacturers that have produced junk are acquisition or relocation.

I wouldn't bother using this filter.

There's no chance this is would be a counterfeit filter, would it?
I do not believe so. It was purchased from a local distributor whom we get many other Baldwin Filters from. However, they are part of a buying group, and I guess, while it could be possible that someone along the line may have returned some counterfeit filters and kept genuine ones, I don't see why they would. This is all B2B, not online. And Baldwin does now list Morocco on their website now as a manufacturing facility.

The problem with being manufactured in Morocco is...?
As someone who has been installed thousands of Baldwin filters for over the last decade in my Heavy Equipment and Construction Industry, and in my Personal Vehicles, while this looks like a Baldwin from far away, you get close up to it, it doesn't look like a Baldwin, doesn't feel like a Baldwin, and doesn't weigh like a Baldwin. You get used to the way things are, and there is definitely a disguise behind the red paint (as it's black underneath as you can see from the scratches on the dome end in the pics)

As someone who has been installed thousands of Baldwin filters for over the last decade in my Heavy Equipment and Construction Industry, and in my Personal Vehicles, while this looks like a Baldwin from far away, you get close up to it, it doesn't look like a Baldwin, doesn't feel like a Baldwin, and doesn't weigh like a Baldwin. You get used to the way things are, and there is definitely a disguise behind the red paint (as it's black underneath as you can see from the scratches on the dome end in the pics)
Baldwin has been a quality filter supplier for DECADES (even if efficiency is marginal IMO)-but it's disheartening to see them join the race to the bottom... :cry:

Isn’t Baldwin/Hastings a part of Parker Hannifin now? Parker is usually well-regarded in HVAC, hydraulics and scuba diving for their hoses and O-rings, Racor is seen in a good light with the diesel crew and they make life-critical hydraulics and electronics for off-road vehicles and aviation but looks like filtration is an afterthought to them.

Well, over the last couple months, the majority of the B2's we've been receiving in for stock are USA made. I haven't seen a Morocco made one in the last few weeks. So maybe the problem is fixed.

Back