Filter suggestions for SBF. Donaldson vs Baldwin vs Amsoil etc

Long time reader, first time poster. Quickly have realized I'm in over my head. I thought an oil change was supposed to be easy!

New small block Ford build. 427 based on a 351w. Motor has about 350 miles on it. No idea what's on there now but I presume it's the Ford Racing version of the FL1A (seller painted the filter housing black). Hydraulic roller cams, roller rockers, carbureted. I plan to change the oil asap since I don't really know what's in there and I will switch to synthetic irrespective of Ford's recommendation for 5000 miles of dino oil(that just seems silly). 10w40 Valvoline (dino) in there now. Will probably go to 10w40 or 5w40 synthetic, if it matters. In the past and on other vehicles I used Amsoil

Here are some of the filter contenders:
Ford Racing FL1A
Donaldson P169071
Baldwin B2-HPG
Amsoil EAO15
Wix (no longer a contender after reviews here. Pretty surprised, really.)
Fram Ultra (honestly shocked to see any Fram recommended anywhere)

The Fram Endurance would be pretty much the same filter as the Amsoil for a lot less money.

As to being surprised that Fram is recommended anywhere, just look at the cut open photos. The Frams hold up better than their competitors. The Fiber end disc design has proven itself to be tear free vs the metal end cap designs unfortunately haven't. It took me ten years to accept that realty but the evidence doesn't lie.

On top of this, they have some of the best filtering efficiency.

The Fram Endurance would be pretty much the same filter as the Amsoil for a lot less money.

As to being surprised that Fram is recommended anywhere, just look at the cut open photos. The Frams hold up better than their competitors. The Fiber end disc design has proven itself to be tear free vs the metal end cap designs unfortunately haven't. It took me ten years to accept that realty but the evidence doesn't lie.

On top of this, they have some of the best filtering efficiency.
Fram uses a synthetic blend filtering material.

Incorrect, the Fram endurance is wire backed microglass media.
Fram's website is inconsistent. The Endurance says "fully synthetic filter media" in one area, then says "Fully synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency" in another area. Blend of what?

Fram really needs someone to work their website to clarify and bring consultancy to the technical info. You listening Fram ... PM me if you want to hire. ;)

Last edited:
Back