Premium Guard PG4615 with 9212 miles on it (Subaru 23 psi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I continue to love these filters for the 23 psi specification. I went 2k over on this due to a 2500 mile trip towards the end of the OCI. I figured the highway miles are pretty easy on a car so I decided to wait until I got back to change the oil out. After all was said and done, the oil and filter went 9212 miles. I used Havoline Pro DS 5w20 full synthetic on this run. The 2018 OB now has roughly 46k on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Here are a few C&P photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've always liked the look of PG filters....straight pleats and well made looking.
Does anybody know the efficiency ratings?

Originally Posted by pbm
I've always liked the look of PG filters....straight pleats and well made looking.

Well pbm I have found the PG regular filters are 96 percent at 25 microns... And the XL Premium Guard oil filters are 99 percent at 20 microns. .

The PG oil filters made for Federated Auto are very well made... And the regular everyday price for a black XL Premium Guard is like $5.81 for my car.

I know they are nothing spectacular but for a $1.79 these are really a great deal. Just a well made, reasonably priced filter that meets the vehicle psi specification. I'm glad I bought 20+ of these last year.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by pbm

Well pbm I have found the PG regular filters are 96 percent at 25 microns... And the XL Premium Guard oil filters are 99 percent at 20 microns. .

The PG oil filters made for Federated Auto are very well made... And the regular everyday price for a black XL Premium Guard is like $5.81 for my car.

Thanks bbhero....I'd use them in a second if I could find them.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Your Outback doesn't spec 6k miles for an OCI?

Why yes it does, thanks. I have been keeping a close eye on this and I have zero oil consumption. I have sent samples with well over the 6k OCI and it's been excellent. No reason I see to change out a quality full synthetic at 6k knowing this...

Originally Posted by sw99
Your Outback doesn't spec 6k miles for an OCI?

Why yes it does, thanks. I have been keeping a close eye on this and I have zero oil consumption. I have sent samples with well over the 6k OCI and it's been excellent. No reason I see to change out a quality full synthetic at 6k knowing this...

Not sure if you're being snarky or not. I brought it up, because my '14 requires 7.5k while my '15 requires 6k. I was wondering if they changed it back to 7.5k.

That would also align with your OP, which says that you were 2k over, instead of 3.2k.

I was. I made an incorrect assumption that you were being judgmental. My apologies. Yes, I am pretty sure they still spec 6K.

Not sure if you're being snarky or not. I brought it up, because my '14 requires 7.5k while my '15 requires 6k. I was wondering if they changed it back to 7.5k.
That would also align with your OP, which says that you were 2k over, instead of 3.2k.

I also noticed the shift from 7.5k to 6k from '14 to '15 without any engine changes of which I was aware...I'm pretty happy with sticking at 5k for my FXT.

I have no problem running the lower bypass pressure Fram Ultra. I put over 200 K miles on a 2008 Forester with the 12? psi filters. To each his own.

Where did you find that info?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sw99
I was. I made an incorrect assumption that you were being judgmental. My apologies. Yes, I am pretty sure they still spec 6K.

No worries, brother. I mentioned snark only because I figured out, after the fact, that my post may have come across like I was being a poopenheimer! I meant it as serious post
11.gif

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I also noticed the shift from 7.5k to 6k from '14 to '15 without any engine changes of which I was aware...I'm pretty happy with sticking at 5k for my FXT.

Even worse, your and my '14 is a first-year direct-injected turbo engine (in the states...) and my '15 is a relatively old-design FB25.
-----The FA20DIT isn't known for burning ANY oil, however (also my experience). Coincidence? Hmmm...

I have been running long intervals, but have decided to now change my oil BETWEEN 6 and 7.5k, not 7.5k+.

I'll be doing a CRC injection "service" soon, then changing an oil change in the 7k range. I'll cut and post the filter to see what comes out, if anything.

Originally Posted by pbm

Premium Guard's website states that their extended life oil filter is 99% at 25 microns: https://www.pgfilters.com/oil-filters/

Their standard oil filter is 96%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back