Baldwin B2 (FL1A) manufacturing switched to Morocco

Ordered up a Baldwin B2 for the Ford 351m/400 i'm servicing on like we always have before. Made in USA and only $5 CDN.
Suprised when a Moroccan made Baldwin B2 showed up instead. Also had scratches in the dome end of the paint, you could tell it was a black filter painted red.
Called my other supplier and they sent out a Made in USA Baldwin filter.

Looks like the bypass valve is now in the dome end, not the threaded end like Ford intended.
Pictures of Comparison below. IMO it's not a Baldwin. and i'm surprised they switched the B2 over.
Guess I need to hit up my supplier for all the USA made Baldwin B2's they have left and stock up, as we use them on our 5.0L HO 302 mustangs, my 347 HO stroker, Ford 351M/400 trucks, Ford 2.3 lima engines, Ford ranger 4.0L's. and my 300 inline 6 fairmont, as well as my mopar LA's and magnum v8's.

20230330_153021.jpg

20230330_153013.jpg

20230330_153055.jpg

20230330_153037.jpg

1680216167719.png

Their website is still showing a front end bypass valve:
1680216561242.png

Last edited:
I will grab one of these and cut and post it. I’m interested.
I believe the link is where I first read about it. I also read somewhere that the FL400S was following, but I'll be danged if I can find the source now.

Sorry, not a great picture and my phone wouldn't cooperate. But the bypass is at the dome, not the base. Also the FL-1A went up dramatically in price a couple months ago. The list for $14.09 now....Pics removed, redundancy.
Yep, that's dome a bypass, Purolator type.

As I said in previous linked thread, MC are a made for FoMoCo filter, made to their specs. One would think any change would have to be approved of by FoMoCo.

Perhaps thread/base end bypass wasn't that important after all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As I said in previous linked thread, MC are a made for FoMoCo filter, made to their specs. One would think any change would have to be approved of by FoMoCo.

Ford/Motorcraft doesn't make any of the filters. Whenever I order them from Ford for work they come from Mann Hummel. Just had 4 cases of FL-820S-B12s come in with the boxes blown open and all the filters dented.

Ford/Motorcraft doesn't make any of the filters......
No where in my reply did I state or imply "Ford/Motorcraft made any of their filters". Please re-read what I posted. The filters look to be still made by Purolator, now a division Mann& Hummel. The type bypass shown is a Purolator 'classic dome flat disk bypass type,' a design Purolator made filters have used for a long time..

So as accurately noted Motorcraft filter are made for them to their specs. In greatest likelihood still made by Purolator in Fayetteville NC as they have been. There is an outside chance they could be made by Wix (also part of M&H), using Puro design. But, I would consider that unlikely.

I hope that adequately clarifies any confusion left from my previous post.

As for your issue with dented filters, if it's that common an issue seems like something Ford should take up with M&H or the shipper.

Last edited:

Ford made a HUGE deal about the dome bypass & silicone ADBV when they were first released, as a way to combat the collapsing timing chain tensioners on the modular V6s/V8s-but with almost all things recently, the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR has taken precedence over quality. Ford just seems to be a good example, but it’s everywhere…

Back