Bad Oil Pump or Bad ADBV in Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a 1994 3.9 V6 Dakota that has seen a rough life. It has 139k on it. Things were decent until recently. He changed oil with Castrol GTX 10w-40 and a Purolator Pure One filter. Ever since, at start-up, it raps pretty bad for a few seconds then quiets up. We suspected a bad ADBV so tonight we changed oil and filter again. This time we put on a Wix with the new cleaning 10w-30 Pennzoil conventional. Now the start-up noise is gone but it sounds like all of the lifters or rocker arms are worn out. Oil pressure is decent though. Any thoughts?

P.S. We'll have to let the truck sit overnight to truly see if the start-up rattle is gone.

During this past winter, one morning I had a very rough start-up, knocking, sounded like a motor with zero oil, etc... w/ a K@N filter. Shut it down after 5 seconds, then restarted OK. Only happened one time.

Most likely ADBV was stuck...? Who knows. never had the problem with M1, Pureone filters.

Last edited:
In this case it sounds like a dry start.
If a new filter doesn't take care of it i would put a mechanical gauge on it and see what the initial cold pressure is.If it does not jump up right away i would take a look at the pump before the knock becomes permanent.

Bad Oil Pump or Bad ADBV in Filter?

Is it too much to ask for both? - Tony Stark

Quote:
Ever since, at start-up, it raps pretty bad for a few seconds then quiets up. We suspected a bad ADBV so tonight we changed oil and filter again.

Quote:
Now the start-up noise is gone but it sounds like all of the lifters or rocker arms are worn out. Oil pressure is decent though. Any thoughts?

How about this? Now that you've eliminated the ADBV as the startup rattle, go up and down in visc to see how it affects the lifter noise.

I didn't see you mention that the old filter/sump was associated with the impression of worn out lifters/cam. Just the new change out.

I think the valvetrain noises were there before.
Once you fixed the start up knock thing, you were back to those 'normal' noises.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Is it too much to ask for both? - Tony Stark

lol.gif
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

We have conconcluded that the last couple of oil changes with today's high-detergent motor oils are cleaning sludge out of the 3.9 V6 and that's why it's getting noisier and noisier. This is our plan. We are going to do a run of diesel oil with frequent filter changes in order to really clean her out. We're expecting her to be noisier than heck after that so we plan on running a heavy oil(20w-50) in the summer to quiet her up. That is, if she hasn't blown up yet.What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back