Bad News for Sport Compact Car Fans - Subaru Kills the STi

I don't think that matters, though, to its fans. The people who buy the WRX/STI aren't taking them on rally courses, at least not here in North America (maybe they are in Europe?). The WRX aftermarket is enormous and owners modify their cars in all sorts of ways which make them even less suited for rallying. The lowered suspensions, extended side skirts and front lips that all the cool kids like make the cars challenging to navigate a steep driveway apron, let alone a rally course. Ironically, mudflaps seem to be popular....

Well the reason it has a reputation as such is because a road going version of a rally car makes an excellent base for modification and in its heyday could smoke muscle cars etc. Not necessarily that all of its enthusiasts like them with rallying in mind. I will expand my thoughts later when I’m done with work

They're definitely moving more towards the overlanding crowd than the rally / boy racer crowd. I've seen tons of the Wilderness Outbacks and Foresters around. Can't say the same of the newer STi models.

They're definitely moving more towards the overlanding crowd than the rally / boy racer crowd. I've seen tons of the Wilderness Outbacks and Foresters around. Can't say the same of the newer STi models.
There's only one STI model sold in the US. It's the WRX STI.

The Wilderness, is for wannabe hardcore off-roaders that thinks legendary Symmetrical AWD is as good as something like a true 4WD system with a low range, when a dirt road is as offroad they are going to drive.

I don't understand the logic of keeping the new BRZ naturally-aspirated. Really cool driver's car though.

This is a thing I hear constantly about the 86/BRZ and something that I feel is heavily misunderstood by western/American buyers. A key point that many western car enthusiasts might not get is that cars like the 86/BRZ is first off, it was conceived with the Japanese market heavily in mind, and with a clear cut philosophy from the start. That philosophy is obviously being a modern spiritual(key word) successor to the AE86 corolla(not a fast car by any measure). The key tenants being front engine rear wheel drive("FR" is all over the marketing), fun to drive, light and CHEAP. This is extremely evident if you watch Japanese commercials and promotional videos of the car from Toyota, clips of the original AE86 drifting around and carving up tracks and mountain passes is extremely prevalent, and the language such as " the joy of driving" is all over. Power and 0-60 times, and ripping from stoplights are not present or mentioned at all. It is supposed to be a car that is 単純に楽しい、simply fun.

It is not trying to compete with M sport BMW, base model neo muscle cars, 370/400Z's, or uber hot hatchbacks, at least in terms of outright speed and power. Making it forced induction would have made it impossible to keep the MSRP at $28k USD, and NA 220hp is more than enough for their original design goal of the vehicle.

So why not have it as an option or upgraded model? Another often overlooked fact is that while they will never outright admit it, JDM OEMs know that their niche cult cars are being bought by people that modify cars. They even acknowledge a bit now, the main Japanese promo video for the new GR 86 featured clips from old professional drifting competitions ,old school Japanese tuner/racing magazine DVD clips of the AE86, and footage from big tuner car meets in Japan, something fairly unthinkable 10-20 years ago. There were 2-3 true bolt-on turbo and supercharger kits from near or at OEM quality manufacturers like HKS that were available for a few thousand dollars basically as soon as the cars launched. Why spend the dev money to fit in a turbo and deal with emissions and MPG reqs when for the same final price a consumer can buy the car and fit in a kit to their liking. It would have gotten more press/social media praise in the American market to go FI, but is it worth it for a car that will sell less in its entire run than a Rav4 does in a year, and that praise primarily coming from people who will never buy one?

I personally would have thought it cool to have a stock turbo 86/BRZ available, but I can certainly understand their logic not to do so. I also would have preferred that they developed a base chassis from scratch and put in their own inline 4 instead of basically sculpting a subaru unibody and powerplant package as best they could into a 2 door RWD sports car, but the project would not have made any financial sense and never would have happened if they had not gone that route, so I understand their logic there too.

Sorry for the long winded post and I'm not trying to berate you for your completely valid opinion at all, just something that IMO is a bit misunderstood and hear a ton.

I don't understand the logic of keeping the new BRZ naturally-aspirated. Really cool driver's car though.
Because the chief engineer of the BRZ didn't want the engine to overwhelm the balance of the chassis.

Most people think they are Jeremy Clarkson and scream POWER!!! when they press the gas pedal. So, more power is better handling car.

jeremy-clarkson-more-power.jpg

Because the chief engineer of the BRZ didn't want the engine to overwhelm the balance of the chassis.

Most people think they are Jeremy Clarkson and scream POWER!!! when they press the gas pedal. So, more power is better handling car.

jeremy-clarkson-more-power.jpg
The balance/handing isn't going to get tossed for a small turbo adding 50hp.

The balance/handing isn't going to get tossed for a small turbo adding 50hp.
50 hp is too little hp gains for them. They are going to want more power.

No one brags about how well their cars handle, they brag about horsepower, since that's a quantifiable number. They also brag about how low their car is.

You have to remember, the car has to be approved by Akio Toyoda, whom himself moonlights as a race car driver, as Morizo.

Have you wondered why the Miata has never gone to the world of turbo power?

Last edited:
50 hp is too little hp gains for them. They are going to want more power.

No one brags about how well their cars handle, they brag about horsepower, since that's a quantifiable number. They also brag about how low their car is.
This is all true, no argument there. An instructor I had at an HPDE that had a 911 race car told me "Miatas...yeah they handle so well b/c they are so slow." Handling is great but it's about balance and power is a good thing in moderation to me. My son's Focus handles great with some suspension upgrades, it's a stick but still low on power and while entertaining to drive, I'd rather send it in the mountains in my wagon with >2xpower in a similar sized package with reasonable handling. This is of course all v. subjective and will be based on the type of roads/tracks you frequent. I'd buy the new BRZ without question BTW.

Have you wondered why the Miata has never gone to the world of turbo power?

NB Mazdaspeed MX5. My cousin had one and taught me how to drive manual with it. Burned down tragically back ~2013 though.

Last edited:
Found this from an article more of less saying the same thing OP posted.

It is a beautiful car. One of the last fast 4 doors.. Another dying breed.

As for the people saying “Why don’t you own one?” I didn’t realize you had to own everything you liked?
5202EBFE-CE27-4639-B046-3A458F176890.jpeg

Apparently that's the new benchmark.... Bonus points if it comes in anonymous beige.
Yep and I think this forum needs a sub to focus on that... maybe call it Kilmer's Corner... You're Plain Stupid If You Don't Buy A Camry These Days!

Back