Bad News for Sport Compact Car Fans - Subaru Kills the STi

Hides all that Subaru rust. You think it's all good until you shut the door and the cladding falls off.
The O.G. Outback - my '89 GL Touring 4x4 wagon circa 1993 (?), with real truck-type high/low 4x4. Thing was a beast. Rusted easily. Slowest car I've ever owned.

1989 Subi.jpg

In what was a very disappointing Friday afternoon news dump, Subaru announced that a high-performance version of the new-generation 2022 WRX won’t be produced.

So, what do you think? If you were considering a new WRX or STi, does this make you want to grab a current-gen STi while you still can (despite the fact that the current-gen car’s engine is very old, it still has one of the best AWD systems, if not THE best, on the market, and the balance and handling prowess of the symmetrical AWD system can’t be denied)?

Or would you rather have the 2022 standard WRX with its new generation engine, chassis and suspension, and other features?

Or would you rather have something else in this category altogether?
I find the latest BRZ appealing - at least from the performance standpoint - and the new 2.4 NA engine seems great, And it is relatively light weight and correct wheel drive.
I do understand your want for a 4 door, but I think you are grasping at a last bastion and touchpoint of your youth, now that you are a family man. Maybe an off lease bimmer 330i x drive M sport would be more appropriate. Personally, I have been distraught at the inability for me to buy an appealing GM sedan with sports handling package (F41) and a stick. But that era came to a close long ago.

Also in the consideration bin would be the off lease Giulia. WRX have become irritating gen Z Toys.

alfa-interior-558d5928eaa55.jpg

I find the latest BRZ appealing - at least from the performance standpoint - and the new 2.4 NA engine seems great, And it is relatively light weight and correct wheel drive.
I do understand your want for a 4 door, but I think you are grasping at a last bastion and touchpoint of your youth, now that you are a family man. Maybe an off lease bimmer 330i x drive M sport would be more appropriate. Personally, I have been distraught at the inability for me to buy an appealing GM sedan with sports handling package (F41) and a stick. But that era came to a close long ago.

Also in the consideration bin would be the off lease Giulia. WRX have become irritating gen Z Toys.

View attachment 92637
I don't understand the logic of keeping the new BRZ naturally-aspirated. Really cool driver's car though.

I have never understood the economics of mainstream brands making niche cars like the STI.

I have never understood the economics of mainstream brands making niche cars like the STI.
Racing, in particular WRC.

But, the 2.5L STI was more for US market tastes, as the 2.0L motor was still sold elsewhere in the world to meet FIA regs

"Enormous"? That's quite a stretch.

The 86 and GR Yaris are really cool cars, for sure. But, with my wife and I having 2 small kids, 2-door sports cars are out of the question for us at this point.
It is quite enourmous compared to the older Impreza based models, and much larger than the rally homogulation spec road car roots it comes from. The last 2 generations I believe are 3500lbs and longer and wider.

And I mean isn’t that just it though? You yourself said you sold your wrx cause of kids/family. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But the original point of adoration for the car was it was a road going version of a rally car. You can’t have a road going version of a rally car that also satisfies the size and amenities demanded of a modern consumers who don’t want a pure sports car. So the result is an in between vehicle that isn’t as powerful or featured as it’s competitors among sports sedans, and isn’t as nimble as more pure sports cars. The market for that is very narrow, and it is spiritually divorced from what the wrx/Sti is supposed to be in the first place.

....and it is spiritually divorced from what the wrx/Sti is supposed to be in the first place.
I don't think that matters, though, to its fans. The people who buy the WRX/STI aren't taking them on rally courses, at least not here in North America (maybe they are in Europe?). The WRX aftermarket is enormous and owners modify their cars in all sorts of ways which make them even less suited for rallying. The lowered suspensions, extended side skirts and front lips that all the cool kids like make the cars challenging to navigate a steep driveway apron, let alone a rally course. Ironically, mudflaps seem to be popular....

The part that is off to me is that all of these (Honda with the Civic Type R, VW with the Golf R, Subi STI, Ford with the (RIP) Focus RS) are north of $40K and the market is a younger crowd who can't (or shouldn't) be able to afford to both buy and insure cars like these. The people that can (me) get to a point where you need something more practical and don't want to look likea 25 yo at 50 and so here we are....these cars all seem to die off. The GTIs/Civic SIs/Focus ST (RIP) all sell better b/c they are more in-line with what a 25 yo can actually buy in terms of a new car OR make sense for a 50 yo like me that has the money but if we are spending $45K we may as well just go to an Audi/similar.....MK8 Golf R is pretty appealing to me though....

Back