Bad News for Sport Compact Car Fans - Subaru Kills the STi

The thing is, the new one looks fine to me other than the goofy cladding...
If I got one, it would be in the same color (dark gray) as my 2016, and the cladding is barely noticeable (I don’t actually mind it anyway) on that color WRX.

Yeah. 20 years ago the performance of the wrx and especially the STi were superior to other vehicles. Especially in that form factor.

Look at how quick modern vehicles are. How much more power some of them make. And for economy cars, it’s interesting to see how easy it is to get 40-50 mpg from them (based upon recent rental car experiences) without them being hybrids even…
It’s never been a pony car geared towards drag racing, like a Mustang or Camaro.

Its a car that’s inspired by rally racing, and that personality comes through on a tight, crooked, mountain road.

If you don’t seek out that kind of experience, I can see why the WRX/STi wouldn’t excite you.

I’ll disagree about the fun to drive factor on V-12s. They are unique. Nothing sounds like a V-12. Nothing pulls like one with twin turbos.

Anything with a V-12 is an enthusiast car.

Affordable is another matter with German V-12s. Cheap to buy. A challenge to own.

But for affordable fun, with a manual, I think you’ll have to start looking mostly in the used market.

The market direction for many years has been soulless appliances, be they equipped with heavily muffled and quieted ICE, or electric motors.
Never said cars with big engines arent fun. Heck, I’d like to own something with big horsepower one day.

I just really enjoy small, light, relatively powerful and good-handling cars.

I lost interest in the wrx/sti once they got enormous. Whenever I try out modern sports cars I am initially impressed by the "spaceship" vibe but it wears off. I still miss my ratty old 89 Nissan 240sx, E36 BMW, my uncles old club racing built CRX. In many ways the Wrx/Sti time has passed. The WRC rally base they were built on doesnt exist anymore, the GR Yaris weighs 800lbs less than the WRX.

The only new car that catches my interest is the 86/BRZ. Even then it has compromises. I also fully understand I represent a very very small portion of the modern auto market. But prices for "true" sports cars on the used market, even ratty old roller chassis with blown/no drivetrain, are insane. So I know im not alone.

Are you a sport driving enthusiast?

If not, I can see why you wouldn’t get excited about a WRX/STi.
Sure...I've owned several sports cars. I'm not saying the STI wasn't exciting - I'm saying it does not fit into their product portfolio and they sold so few I see it as a money sink. Besides the WRX and STI, Subaru is hardly known as a sports car company. They are both weird oddball vehicles in what is otherwise a bunch of AWD appliances.

Never said cars with big engines arent fun. Heck, I’d like to own something with big horsepower one day.

I just really enjoy small, light, relatively powerful and good-handling cars.
I agree, I have no problem with heavier, powerful sports cars that arent exactly super fun to drive on twisty roads, all cars are comprimises and they are built for different priorities. The problem is that light, fun sports cars or sporty cars have rapidly just become less impressive versions of those big sports cars. They practically dont exist anymore besides the 86/BRZ and Miata.

Good. I think Subaru needs to put themselves into time out and rethink their entire business decisions.

They can't even get the 2022 WRX to have more horsepower than granny's 2005 Avalon and gets to 60 as fast as a Camry.
See, I’m not the only one who thinks this!

01E516FE-ECBE-4D2A-8D2D-4902D0B7D4D2.jpg

Sad to hear this. I always liked the STI and would have considered one without the wing as a DD. Only thing that held me back was that from what I have read, they are not a car you can expect to run up to 200k miles and beyond without engine work, and I usually like keep my DD cars to at least that mileage.

I think around 300hp is a sweet spot for a DD that's still fun to throw around on the weekends, so no qualms with the output. I don't care about the stereotypes either. I could care less what others think. As long as I enjoy it that's all that matters to me.

I was really hoping they were going to offer an updated engine in the new model with a little more life expectancy. I will however admit I was really put off by the styling of the new model and they way they seemed to "crosstrek" it.

Wow, this car was awesome. Ricers dream, a WRX STi with the "graphic" package, wings, this had it all from factory!

with a big blue "Subaru" down the side doors. Should have marketed it to the youth, the "pretty fly for a white guy" crowd. :p

A car with a heritage designed for an age group that has aged to family cars. Cars like these are dying out as society switches what's "in" with the crowd, and that's tech now.

30 years, 30 horses, 400 pounds

a 95 STI would curbstomp anything in a 100 mile radius and run circles around it, by 2021 it was getting flattened by anything with 4 wheels

they couldn’t deliver a car putting a minimum 400hp at the wheels and so it rightfully deserved to die. its continued existence only served to tarnish the legacy it built

Last edited:
Pretty sad when a 300hp awd car with a stick that's got to be a blast to drive and can rip around a track in stock form gets compared to a Camry with a na V6 engine and a slush box auto and an appearance package. The STI has a huge aftermarket and a little bit of extra coin and a flash tune and that should handle the need for a few extra hp/tq numbers.

Pretty sad when a 300hp awd car with a stick that's got to be a blast to drive and can rip around a track in stock form gets compared to a Camry with a na V6 engine and a slush box auto and an appearance package.
30 years

30 horses

400 pounds

the evo gets a pass and commands respect because it actually worked and they knew when it was time to close up shop. the sti has been a punching bag and laughing stock for over a decade

30 years

30 horses

400 pounds
If it works it works. I don't have a pony in this one, I'm a VW guy that has a car that can/does handle these with ease but regardless I've always thought they were cool. It competes with the Golf R, Civic Type R, and a few others in the ~300hp range. What power level is appropriate for a $40K supped up economy car?

30 years

30 horses

400 pounds

the evo gets a pass and commands respect because it actually worked and they knew when it was time to close up shop. the sti has been a punching bag and laughing stock for over a decade
What is it that gets it trashed in "the community"? just not enough power?

It’s never been a pony car geared towards drag racing, like a Mustang or Camaro.

Its a car that’s inspired by rally racing, and that personality comes through on a tight, crooked, mountain road.

If you don’t seek out that kind of experience, I can see why the WRX/STi wouldn’t excite you.
Can’t say I’ve ever owned a mustang or Camaro. I’d say I get personality on a tight crooked road from purer cars like the E30 BMW that I owned for years…

When they first came out a wrx was a neat option to say, an e30 325ix, and probably a lot safer, efficient, obviously newer, etc. The STI back in the early 2000s had compelling performance.

These days not so much. Don’t need a Camaro… probably only need a Camry v6 to outperform in most measures, despite being a rolling sofa.

Back