Bad News 1988 4Runner 22RE 217k 20w-50 Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my question is how bad is this? I didn't have the analysis done because of any issues, was just curious. Had it checked just for this reason. I have only had the truck for the 3k miles since oil change at 214k. No issues at all.

I just changed the oil last weekend and it looked normal, just checked antifreeze looks normal. No smoke... Should I have the compression checked? Where do I go from here. Numbers and data scared me but I seen some others with antfreeze and much higher numbers.

1988 Toyota 4Runner 22RE (2.4 4cyl)
217,762 miles on engine
3,204 miles on oil (20w-50 Castrol)
1.5 quarts added

Code:

ALUMINUM 8*

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 32*

COPPER 13*

LEAD 60*

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 20

NICKEL 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 24*

BORON 5

SILICON 21

SODIUM 356*

CALCIUM 1860

MAGNESIUM 13

PHOSPHORUS 791

ZINC 1036

BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 83.0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 16.28

Flashpoint in °F 385

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.71*

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.4

* Indicates out of range

Thanks, for any advice.

Last edited:
Cracked head or headgasket is not uncommon. And there are aftermakket heads available that are supposed to be way better than OEM.

Or even a Heavy Duty 15W-40....hehe. So many people seem to be in the "thicker is better" crowd it seems; at least locally here based on what's always "left over" on the oil shelf.

I'd go for the leakdown and/or compression check first, and see what all 4 cylinders read...could be a cracked head/gasket....

I have had to add maybe 12oz of antifreeze, but didn't think anything about it because there is a very slight leak in the radiator. Usually just damp around the plug drain, doesn't leave a puddle or anything.

Timing Chain and guides were replaced per previous owner about 15k milese ago, but will have that looked at. As I know its the other weak point of the engine.

I actually put Penzoil 10w-40 High Mileage in the truck this oil change.

My concern is whats the chances I have major bearing wear and need a complete overhaul? These engines normally go many more miles with no bottom end issues.

Last edited:
I once drove a 22R with a front cover leak until the oil turned to a substance like Cow Poop (this was a chronic leak over several months) in the end the engine overheated and blew the head gasket.
At tear-down, the rod and main bearings were still not bad.
A major overhaul is not really a big deal with these engines. Last one I did was about $200 parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back