Not open for further replies.
2010 Chevy Corvette
LS3 Chevy 6.2 V8
Miles on unit 11,000
Miles on Oil 4,300
Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30 Full Synthetic
Baldwin B160 Filter
No Make-up oil.

This is a nice first report for your Corvette! The column on the right shows typical wear for an LS3
after about 4,200 miles of oil use. This oil was run nearly as long so we're getting a good comparison and
things look good. Metals are all in good balance, with copper as the dominant metal, followed by iron, then
aluminum, and are well within range of averages to show normally wearing parts. The titanium is just an
additive in this oil, not a poorly wearing part. No harmful contamination is present. Check back to build
trends. Nice car!

Aluminum 8
Chromium 2
Iron 34
Copper 81
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 70
Nickel 0
Manganese 3
Silver 0
Titanium 25
Potassium 1
Boron 125
Silicon 11
Sodium 10
Calcium 1302
Magnesium 789
Phosphorous 731
Zinc 869
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @210F 61.4
CST Viscosity @100C 10.60
Flashpoint in F 405
Fuel% 0.5
Antifreeze% 0.0
Water% 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2

In- Gulf Oil (Gulftec) Full Synthetic 5w30 (Dexos1)
Fleetguard LF16242 FIlter

I purchased this used in 4/2017, with 3,600 miles on it. I changed the oil at 6700 miles for the first time, just because I didn't know how long it had been sitting in there, and how the car had been run. Pretty much completely stock, except for an exhaust, still smells new.

Another nice UOA on Magnatec.......
grin.gif

I woulda' stuck with Castrol. There's also sister product Edge to try-out, b/4 venturing into a small player like Gulf, meaning that brand is far-from an analyzed household name here.

Sometimes staying put makes more sense than moving.

Montero1, what is the comparison of the GoldWing and the Electra Glide? I have an 08 Wing w/ all except ABS and Airbag, always thinking about getting a Glide as well. Dont ride the VTX much anymore. Also, I like my ‘11 Z4, first Turbo car.

Originally Posted by AntiMatic
Montero1, what is the comparison of the GoldWing and the Electra Glide? I have an 08 Wing w/ all except ABS and Airbag, always thinking about getting a Glide as well. Dont ride the VTX much anymore. Also, I like my ‘11 Z4, first Turbo car.

Two different bikes, love them both. Sometimes I need the rumble, sometimes I need the quiet.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
What was copper in the comparison list?

Universal averages were 61.

I've been trying to get confirmation whether the special additives in Magnatec are also found in Edge USA. One of the Castrol guys on here at one time said they were, but recently wasn't positive if the US version had them.

Nice results here. You could stick with the Magnetec as it meets the SN +/D1G2 or try Edge EP which would probably handle higher tempetures better and have better shear stability.

Originally Posted by buster
I've been trying to get confirmation whether the special additives in Magnatec are also found in Edge USA. One of the Castrol guys on here at one time said they were, but recently wasn't positive if the US version had them.

Nice results here. You could stick with the Magnetec as it meets the SN +/D1G2 or try Edge EP which would probably handle higher tempetures better and have better shear stability.

Here's a recent Edge 5w30 VOA. The thread is on the first page there.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...a-castrol-edge-5w-30-d1-gen2#Post4761510

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back