Bad Experiences with Maxlife ATF?

Ive used Maxlife atf in a 2012 Acura mdx and a 2018 Nissan Titan 5.6 gas with mixed results. First impressions were great with improved shift feel in both vehicles but the shift quality seemed to deteriorate a lot within 15,000 miles. now both vehicles are shifting very firm/harsh. I may try to add lubegard red in both vehicles and see how much that may help before giving up on maxlife atf.
Yea, my experience in a Frontier is almost the same - the shifts felt “positive” and firm, neighbor didn’t like it. I put back the OEM Nissan stuff.

Honda trans are a different beast - and should stay with their fluid.

Yea, my experience in a Frontier is almost the same - the shifts felt “positive” and firm, neighbor didn’t like it. I put back the OEM Nissan stuff.

Honda trans are a different beast - and should stay with their fluid.
You don't need Honda brand fluid at all. I used Valvoline MaxLife and O'Reilly Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF on previous Hondas. No problems whatsoever. I've used VML as Power Steering Fluid when Dexron compatible was listed. I've even used VML in a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with the ZF9 pushbutton/paddle-shift AT. Do your homework, folks!

I wouldn’t say bad. I tried maxlife in my 07 Corolla. Seemed like the transmission was a little hesitant from a stop, and the down shifts got a lot harder. I didn’t like it, but I doubt that it would have resulted in transmission damage. Went back to Castrol after that.

Maxlife in my Odyssey Touring Elite causing harsh downshifts. Like a jerk downshifting from 3rd to 2nd or at lower speeds. I've done 3 or 4 drain and fills with Maxlife. I'm probably going to get a case of DW-1 if I can and see if there's a difference. Posted about this on odyclub and everyone says it seems to be the maxlife that we have in common with this symptom

You don't need Honda brand fluid at all. I used Valvoline MaxLife and O'Reilly Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF on previous Hondas. No problems whatsoever. I've used VML as Power Steering Fluid when Dexron compatible was listed. I've even used VML in a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite with the ZF9 pushbutton/paddle-shift AT. Do your homework, folks!

Broken link. I'll switch to O'Reilly brand ATF if they update their compatibility to include Honda Type 3.1 fluid. VML is working great so far with 4k miles after this 1x drain and fill.

Back