Bad Day( Prices & Availability )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was a bad oil day for me.

I sold my Dodge Ram over the weekend due to financial hardship caused by my illness. I had to reduce my monthly auto expenses( i.e. payment, insurance, fuel economy, maintenance, etc... )and the only way to do it was to sell my truck. I was not happy but as I don't "need" it anymore I did what had to be done. I was like this yesterday as I signed it over to the new owner =
37.gif

Anyway, I replaced it with a 2011 Jeep Patriot. It didn't come with the tow package unfortunately. It needs that to be able to tow it's max capacity which I need it to do. So I need to add the oil cooler. That is on the way and the dealer is doing it( covered under my warranty if bought at time of purchase and installed by the dealer ). I read the online directions and see an oil change will be required so I decided today I would grab the oil and filter to bring in.

I decided to use Kendall oil( dino )as I will be changing the oil at 1000 miles( 123 right now )so it was off to PepBoys which is the only local place that ahs it I know of. Man was I ticked off when I got there and discovered PB is no longer carrying Kendall. I was really angry as I have 2 family members running Kendall full syn in vehicles I take care of for them. No one could give me an answer why either which always is lame.

Then I really about hit the floor when I went to get a different brand. At that point I saw the price tags. OMG!
shocked2.gif
Qts of regular conventional oil for $5.29-$6.09 each. ARE THEY INSANE???? I just walked out at that point and said I will go to another store. Unfortunately the madness has spread everywhere. AAP, AZ, VIP, WalMart, Napa, etc... ALL charge at least $4.25 p/qt for CONVENTIONAL oil.

Just ridiculous. 2 months ago it was $2.89 +/-. Every store I complained about it at said the same thing. They blammed the price of crude. I called BULL on it to all of them. Crude is only in the low to mid 80's. If it is crude based why is the oil almost 2X's as much as it was selling for when crude was $95, $100, $120 $140, etc... a barrel? It is just nuts. Conventional oil for $5 a qt. GIVE ME A BREAK. Some of the syn's were over $10 as well. I am talking VVL, QS, M!, etc... not boutique oils. Freakin crooks.
mad.gif

I ended up finding a sale at AAP for 5 qts of GTX and a Purolator Classic for $18.99 so I grabbed that. I don't even want to THINK about what RP will cost me when I finallyt swap the new Jeep to it? OY! The fact it takes only 5qts instead of 7 like the truck will be a big savings it seems at $10+.

Just ridiculous.

I never buy any oil, dino or syn, at regular price anywhere. It was expensive few years ago and it is insane for $4/qt or higher for dino of any brand.

I thought that I paid $19 a case of PU 5W20 was a bad move, after reading your experience today it seems to me $3/qt PU is not bad at all.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I never buy any oil, dino or syn, at regular price anywhere. It was expensive few years ago and it is insane for $4/qt or higher for dino of any brand.

I thought that I paid $19 a case of PU 5W20 was a bad move, after reading your experience today it seems to me $3/qt PU is not bad at all.

I use Royal Purple almost exclusively in my own vehicles. I get it through a speed shop I have dealt with forever. I almost never buy oil at a regular store. If I need some dino oil or I am getting oil for a family member I do but it is seldom. I hadn't seen retail oil prices in a few months and it about floored me.

Buying oil by the quart is a bad move any more. Even to keep some for top off or just to service the lawn mowers, you are better off keeping a 5 qt jug on hand. Advance had their brand of 10w-30 on sale the other day for 6.99 for a 5 quart jug. Right beside it they had the quart on sale for 3.79 or so. Go figure. Also, Kendall is hard to find any where. Wal-Mart carries Motorcraft oil at a decent price. I'm certain it is another marketing brand of Connoco Phillips who markets Kendall. Maybe someone can correct me on that.

I also got the 6 qts. of PU for $20 last year on Amazon. I will never pay regular price for my synthetic oil. There's always a sale on M1 oil and filter for around $30 at AAP,AZ or PB's.

Yep, I'm just glad that I bought sooooo much clearance oil over the years to last my family cars for the next 15 years (no kidding).

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yep, I'm just glad that I bought sooooo much clearance oil over the years to last my family cars for the next 15 years (no kidding).

Wow. I thought I was bad at 185 quarts.

But I agree, buying on sale is where it's at!

Sorry you lost your dream truck. $4/qt will get you full syn at Advance or big lots.

It's not the stores fault the oil is so expensive, blame the oil companies. Conventional oil is well over $4 per quart over here too. It's not just that particular store, the price has increased nationwide.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I use Royal Purple almost exclusively in my own vehicles.

I'm positive that you've already seen that RP has the SN/GF-5 formulations available now. I can actually get it in Canada. There's a switch. I can get SN/GF-5 RP, but not a drop of PU. Oh well. The price hasn't changed here for the RP, but I can't say what you're experience will be.

Oil by the quart seems to be a terrible deal these days, with few exceptions. Some of our bulk stores sell it at a regular price that equals the regular price (per quart) of the big jugs. That's uncommon though, and I pity those who have to buy GC or M1 0w-40.

5 store Napa group here. This is a response to NHHEMI

Are we insane? No
Freakin crooks? No

PB doesn't carry Kendall because of.....little or no sales. All stores need a return on investment; that means a product needs to turn(sell) on the shelf. Our stores also stopped carrying Kendall years ago simply because it didn't sell. Good oil just no one uses it anymore.

Our average markup on oil is 10% or less and any oil on sale is sold at a loss. Please tell me what we are doing wrong. What should we sell oil for when our markup is 10% or less? How much time did you waste trying to find a deal on oil?

My suggestion: find a name brand oil (PZ, Val, etc) and stock up when on sale or buy it at Walmart in 5qt jugs. It would be cheaper for our store group to buy our oil at Walmart also-just economies of scale. Just remember, that 5qt isn't so cheap when you walk thru the store and buy a bunch of other stuff you see on display. That impulse buy adds up in a hurry.

Just needed to explain from the other side of the counter,

Dave

Last edited:
Quote:
the price has increased nationwide

I blame BITOG - this site is so popular it has turned oil into a in vogue commodity and driven up prices!

Originally Posted By: bmod305
5 store Napa group here. This is a response to NHHEMI

Are we insane? No
Freakin crooks? No

PB doesn't carry Kendall because of.....little or no sales. All stores need a return on investment; that means a product needs to turn(sell) on the shelf. Our stores also stopped carrying Kendall years ago simply because it didn't sell. Good oil just no one uses it anymore.

Our average markup on oil is 10% or less and any oil on sale is sold at a loss. Please tell me what we are doing wrong. What should we sell oil for when our markup is 10% or less? How much time did you waste trying to find a deal on oil?

My suggestion: find a name brand oil (PZ, Val, etc) and stock up when on sale or buy it at Walmart in 5qt jugs. It would be cheaper for our store group to buy our oil at Walmart also-just economies of scale. Just remember, that 5qt isn't so cheap when you walk thru the store and buy a bunch of other stuff you see on display. That impulse buy adds up in a hurry.

Just needed to explain from the other side of the counter,

Dave

I worked on your side of the counter for many years thanks and that included some time at a Napa to boot. When I say "they" I am refering to the oil companies as well as the parts stores themselves not the parts clerks who just sell the items.

$5+ for a qt of conventional oil is insane and it is robbery however. It didn't cost that when crude was $145+ a barrel. Crude hasn't been even close to that level for a couple years now. There have been a couple short run ups to the high 90's and low 100's but nothing like we have seen. Nothing in the last few months but a fall into the low 80's and even high 70's. The prices have gone up by 30-40% as crude has fallen yet they are using crude prices to justify the increase. That is ridiculous sir.

Kendall would sell out of all the local PB's as fast as they could get it in. Other members here from other states have said the same thing. Great product at a great price.

Last edited:
I was in Rual King today and noticed RP for $8.99 qt. I believe the recent cost increases in engine oil is the formulation change to SN from SM.

I'm a current Amsoil user, if I can't get a deal(oil change special) to my liking from any local parts store, nor any 1 oil have a solid rebate out...I'll just pay for Amsoil and be done with it.

On the other hand, I'm trying out some MaxLife full synthetic next summer as I've been wanting to for a while and got it for $5/Q after the 'mini' rebate offer from Valvoline(yet to receive rebate).

Also, considering the Pennzoil rebate/warranty registration thing, and may run 5w-30 PU or PP this winter.

So, either a deal on oil I can get locally(local ad or rebate offer) or I get what I want and don't worry about the price of oil too much. If only gas would go back to $2/gallon I think most of us would be content with fighting for deals on oil even at the current prices.

Just noticed at WM this evening the insane prices. I never buy oil by the quart. Purchase my oil in the five quart containers at WM.

Now that I am back to working at a local dealership, I can use the rack (per company policy) and do my own oil changes. $3 for a Napa Gold filter (sale price) and about $2.25 per quart of MC 5w/20 Synthetic Blend bulk oil. Total cost of oil change, about $14 plus tax.

Originally Posted By: bmod305

There are those of us who know exactly what kind of boat the parts stores are in. It's the same in this province. A 10% markup is about the norm. People cannot expect a small parts store to keep up when I place like Walmart buys oils by the truckload and then marks it as low as it feels to get people in the door.

I generally do what you suggest. If I need oil, I walk into Walmart, with blinders on, and head straight for the oil. Just oil, and nothing else.

It's the same complaint I used to get when working at a convenience store. "Why is your milk $5 for a gallon? It's under $3 at [insert your favorite grocery store or big box here]. Your boss is making a huge profit."

No, he makes twenty-five cents off of each jug. I saw the invoices. He just doesn't have them empty the entire dairy truck at his store.

I was also noting the high prices at WM tonight. I happened to pay attention and my jaw about fell off when I saw a 5 qt jug of SynPower going for nearly $30! IIRC Castrol syn was $26, M1 was $23, and QSUD was a bit over $20. Made PP look like grand theft at $18.75. When I seen that I had the urge to buy a bunch of PP for the fleet in case it went up. I still may, I was kinda waiting for a sale but if it goes up then goes on sale itll probably still cost more that what it is now.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Made PP look like grand theft at $18.75. When I seen that I had the urge to buy a bunch of PP for the fleet in case it went up.

$18.75 is cheaper than the regular price for a five litre jug of any conventional up here, let alone PP. Count your blessings.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back