Back Pain - What do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a blown disk that sometimes pops out (you can actually see and feel it).

The key for me has been to lose weight and strengthen my core.

When I was younger people with bad backs always scared me as I viewed people as they aged, some even hurt their back in their teens. As a result I vowed to myself that I would make my back strong and know my limits. Knowing when something might hurt you and checking my ego has prevented me from having any injuries and I am now mid 40's. I have helped 100's of people move their stuff and played all kinds of sports through the years and regularly exercise.

If I think there might be chance I could get hurt, I get someone to assist with the lift. It's simply not worth the risk for future years. Knowing is half the battle, execution is the other half.

Last edited:
I lay on my back and bend my knees to my abdomen and wrap my arms around my knees and rock back and forth .

On the topic of anti-inflammatories, they can be helpful and they can also be a two edged sword. If taken properly and within limits they can reduce the pain caused by inflammation. Your Doctor is the best source here.

The double edge sword is that the inflammation of the disc is the bodies response to protect the nerve at that part of the spine. Taking a NSAID will reduce the pain from inflammation but as that goes down the nerve gets pinched and the result is sciatica.

I used to hear a lot about TENS units helping with pain. These are available over the counter and might be an option to discuss with your doctor.

Originally Posted by Rand
I dont agree on skipping ibuprofen.

Unlike Tylenol, ibuprofen will reduce inflammation.

I'm not saying you should eat 4 at a time 6x a day.. but even 1-2 taken before it flares up helps.

If I cant get comfortable I find a rolled up large bath towel under my spine, with laying flat on the floor sometimes will let the muscles relax and ease the pain.

I think in another back pain thread a youtube video was posted of a practitioner using various rolled towels to ease the discomfort while sleeping... (Sorry, my memory/google fu is none today)

I've dealt with back pain for many years, though I don't have nearly the list of issues.

What's helped me:
- Inversion table: Bought for $100 and it's been worth every penny.
- TENS unit: Bought off Amazon for about $35 and it's awesome. Highly recommended. The price has gone up, but I would still recommend it. LINK
- Ibuprofen: two in morning, and two in afternoon (if needed)
- Stretching: Gentle stretching regularly has helped immensely.

What I was advised to do but ignored:
- Yoga: I'm not that flexible
lol.gif
. My wife has pushed me to try it multiple times but it just looks painful.
- Firm mattress: I would actually love this one, but a SleepNumber is out of the budget and my wife struggles with firm mattresses, so we've settled with a medium mattress.
- Running: Running is just boring. I've tried it, and 5 minutes in I'm bored as can be and wondering how people enjoy this.
- Chiropractor: My grandfather was a doctor and told his family if we go to a chiropractor, he will write us out of his will
lol.gif

Back pain is the absolute worst and when I was in peak pain, it was absolutely debilitating and made enjoying life very difficult. The thing is, there's a lot of suggestions for overcoming back pain out there and a lack of sure-fire solutions, unfortunately. You just need to experiment until you find the right combination of things that help you and then stick with it when you find it. That's what I did and now I'm at the point that I no longer need to stretch every day or use the inversion table every night, nor do I find myself in pain if I skip out on Ibuprofen every once in a while.

Lose weight, strengthen your core, and chiropractors can be a mixed bag. Massages can help specifically if you are experiencing muscle spasms. Heat works best for me.

I wrenched my upper back in the Navy 14 years ago or so and it bugs me off and on the older I get (36 now). Everyone I know says to stay away from chiropractors but a few years ago I was in pain and started researching chiro's in my area.

I found a new'ish chiro in my area with great reviews and gave it a shot. Between adjustments over the course of 9 months or so, paying more attention to core strengthening, diet and some vitamins to support halthy joints, I've been pain free for 6+ months. It's great.

To each their own but chiropractic and a little lifestyle change definitely helped me immensely.

I have degenerative discs L4-L5 area. Have had it for 10 years now. I take 2 Aleve every morning. That calms the pain down to tolerable levels mostly. I just deal with the residual pain

Don

Originally Posted by Nederlander75
6oz's of whisky, 2 Vicodin 5/500's, and a couple Flexeril 10mg tabs.

I look at a Benadryl tablet and I fall asleep, this cocktail would straight up kill me
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
What did I do?
I went to my chiropractor. I told him what I'm doing, and instead of cracking bones he gave me some core exercises to do.

Since then I've integrated them into my 6am exercises and I've been feeling great. My abe are literally tighter, leaner and have higher core strength than I did 10 years ago!
Aside from that it's just lots of water and a good diet.

This. But for a flai-ups you probably need 3 days of Ibuprofen. My daughter indicated that IO could take 2400 mg per day for 3 days (with food). She is a Nurse Practitioner. For me 1800 for 3 days did the trick.

I've been there, worst time of my life. Plenty of good advice. Nbr 1 on my list to start is to lose weight. 2nd work on your core. 3rd see chiropractor. Get into an exercise program, yoga if you can handle it. Take ibuprofen for flare ups but don't make that a crutch to get by - could be long term kidney impact. These days I exercise regularly, play golf and racquetball and I'm a senior citizen. I also have arthritis and disc issues.

Don't be a couch potato, stay active. Good luck.

Last edited:
When my back goes out, I wear a weightlifter's belt underneath my pants. I got special oversized pants for that.

The idea is to totally immobilize your back so that it can heal.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Nederlander75
6oz's of whisky, 2 Vicodin 5/500's, and a couple Flexeril 10mg tabs.

I look at a Benadryl tablet and I fall asleep, this cocktail would straight up kill me
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

You gotta work your way into it.

Whenever I fee back pain coming on I simply tuck an ice pack under the waste/belt of my pants and leave it there for 30 minutes, my back gets so cold it gets numb, Ill do this on and off over a few days, problem solved for me.

(and yes, lose weight)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back