Back Pain - What do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying it is a solution, but I take pain meds and drink bourbon. I do this until it is gone. Then I rethink my life and ... well so far I have not changed much. I really should.
Alcohol is a great short term pain killer, at least it was for me. Took me a while to learn that it actually made it worse.

it actually made it worse.
can make it way worse for sure... especially when you weaken the muscles that are needed to stabalize all to give it time to heal.
I really don't recommend it, it is just my way of coping the last 3 years with back pain. Often I still need to be a good time and I can't otherwise.

6oz's of whisky, 2 Vicodin 5/500's, and a couple Flexeril 10mg tabs.
I know this is from a while back, but I have serious back problems a little more frequently than once a decade. I had them a couple of weeks ago and the last time was back in 2014.

My issue is usually muscle spasms. So some flexeril and tramadol usually gets things calmed down so I can return to normal movement, stretching and resistance exercises.

The real solution depends on the nature of the problem. Mine is usually related to muscle tightness and/or spasms. So the solution for that set of circumstances is different from disc problems and so forth.

As long as I continue a balanced regimen of exercises, the only real pain I have is not in my back, but my left shoulder that is missing most of its cartilage.

I've had a bad back for >10 years from a military injury. Herniated discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1 with bulging discs at L3-L4 and T12-S1. That's accompanied with scoliosis and stenosis causing sciatic pain.

My pain management...

Gabapentin - 1200 mg, 3x/day (3600 mg total)
HHC / D8-THC - Cartridges and edibles
Ibuprofen - 800 mg, as needed
Methylprednisolone injections - every 4 months

I've developed a high tolerance to the gabapentin over the years and the injections are becoming less effective. I've been kicking surgery down the road for a long time.

The HHC and THC has worked better than anything I've ever taken with the only side effect being an increased appetite. I have sativa strains for the morning (usually Trainwreck) and indica strains for the evening (granddaddy purple or northern lights).

Last edited:
Any potential food allergies? I have a milder wheat allergy that looking back, probably really started to affect me at 18. I had joint and back pain but being young and strong it didn't really affect me until my late 30's when it got too much. It still took me a couple years to really get serious about not eating wheat stuff and after I did that, along with exercise has me pain free most days. I do regular 5k runs and 1 hour bike rides usually without joint pain now unless I'm really pushing it.

I am not saying it is a solution, but I take pain meds and drink bourbon. I do this until it is gone. Then I rethink my life and ... well so far I have not changed much. I really should.
The only problem with that is that you may eventually turn into an alcoholic. Knew a few people who had back pain that transitioned into alcoholics that way.

The only problem with that is that you may eventually turn into an alcoholic. Knew a few people who had back pain that transitioned into alcoholics that way.
You are of course very correct.
I need to loose weight and get back into old routines. This Cov situation threw me, and other stuff...
We will manage to get through it.

Last edited:
While the causes of back pain are vast and varied, and what works for one might not for another, I think we can all agree that a strong core is a desirable thing.

I've been working my abdominal muscles regularly for a year and a half, and my incidences of back pain are about 1/10th as frequent and 1/5 as severe, and 1/20th the duration compared to before I actively started working my abdominal muscles often, and regularly.

Some of the specific exercises will be uncomfortable some days, so I switch to static leg lifting, rather than crunches, or really try every stretch in the book and retry the painful motion, which often works too.

At first working the obliques was a recipe for disaster. Had to keep from any twisting motion until they all got stronger, but now can pretty much do any variation of crunch there is pain free, most days and actually get a bit frustrated at how long it now takes for the abdominals to start burning, unless I skip doing the exercises for a week then it is depressing how quickly they start burning.

Inactivity causes me to be punished with back pain, but ever since I strengthened my core I can usually walk it off in 1/4 mile or less.

The known movements which previously could induce days of misery, I now just tighten my core muscles before doing such activities.

I really try to not take any pills, unless its really bad. Ibuprofin or Naproxen when I do. Aspirin seem better than either at headache but does nothing for back pain, for me.

Hope all who suffer back pain can find something which helps them.

Personally I would give the ablation a second thought and look into it more. If the injections worked they have found the correct area or nerve roots to target. That is half the battle.

Back pain is almost entirely inflammation related and getting that under control can really help with pain and HEALING. I would take the ibuprofen. There is no reason to be in chronic pain. Actually untreated chronic pain for long periods is really bad for your health and can cause high blood pressure when your under stress.
Unfortunately though with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories ibuprofen helps more but seems to cause more stomach issues with people versus Tylenol. If I recall you can take 3,000 mg PO QD. For topical creams and rubs I like the salonpas and also tiger balm. Heating pads work in conjunction with using ice. I've had four needles in my back and haven't got the relief along with thousands of chiropractic visits. The worst feeling is sneezing.

That was my FIL. He broke his leg and turned to alcohol to deal with the pain. He went from drinking a half fifth on a Friday or Saturday evening to downing a fifth a day. It cost him his job and his marriage. After 25 years like that, he died 2 years ago from a major brain injury after stumbling drunk off a curb and hitting his head on the concrete.

In his last few years, he tried a couple times to get sober. However, the withdrawals were too severe for him to handle. He had seizures, arrhythmia, and numbness/tingling that was found to be due to alcohol neuropathy. His nervous system could no longer function properly without the alcohol. He would quickly go right back to drinking to stop the pain.

I think I will manage to get ahead if it, just need to get out of this circle.
Pain is a huge weakness for me. Since I had chronik migraine and was shot up with morphine a few times a week to stop me screaming (everyone doubted me and said i was acting, fun times). Luckily Carly was with me all the way. Short term memory is completely shot. I had a super good run from about 19 to about 26, Germany has kinda worn me down and then with Covid and stuff. My fitness dropped, weight gain, eating, drinking, not enough outside time.
Have a young dog now, lots of time outside. Even when in pain I go becuase I have a dog and he must have his needs met. I exercise, a lot with the dog. Working breed, now I just need to eat/drink less(especially when my mind goes bad places) and do more exercising targeting core and small muscles. Think I will be good. Went from 68kg to 75, that was like that for a few years but during cov i went from 75 to 110kg and that is not good and also what aggrevated my back. I have sports injuries, but it was fine with good muscular strength and weight.

I usually just let it go away on its own. If it’s really bad I just take a few aleve. Fortunately I don’t have a lot of back pain. Only when I’m working on something stupid like a truck and have to lift tires from it or do any heavy lifting at all. Mostly knee and leg pain for me.

Since this thread came back, i thought I'd update it.

My back pain has been almost nothing so far this year. Basically better than ever (since I started having issues years ago. Last big flare up was December.

Maybe it's a coincidence or maybe not, but I've also lost 54 pounds so far since January 1st. Still have more to go and working on it.

Targeted exercise and yoga. For the yoga find a teacher that KNOWS how to deal with back issues. They are out there.

A word of warning. I was a very long time user of prescription anti inflammatories. But in early 2020 I found I had a failed heart valve and had to have open heart surgery. I can't prove it but I think it was caused by the anti inflammatories. There are studies that back this up.

Be cautious and know what you are taking is all I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back