B-12 for anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a blood level before supplementation. If B-12 level is low, then added amounts are indicated. If levels are within range, not so much. As aging progresses, B-12 is not absorbed as readily into the gut leading to deficiencies. This is why supplementation is usually administered via injection rather than orally. However, the symptoms of low B-12 typically involve low energy levels and cognitive decline rather than anxiety. Each person is different. Good luck!

B-12 is usually injected because the stomach acid destroys it on the way through.

Pills can work, you just have to take them on an empty stomach-say the first thing in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
The prescription drug Klonopin(generic name Clonazepam) is highly effective for treating anxiety. The downfall is that it can be habit forming and can cause withdrawal symptoms if you quit taking it abruptly.

Yep. Its pretty good stuff. Same drug class as Xanax but its a milder and longer lasting/slower release benzo.

It can be habit forming if you're prone to addiction (i.e. you have a history of alcoholism or drug abuse in your family) otherwise you're probably okay taking it. As little as .25mg twice daily can be sufficient to control anxiety though doses upwards of 3mg/day are sometimes prescribed.

I took it steadily for 2 years and then on and off for a 3 more years. No withdrawals and no dependency. My anxiety was job related. Working in a state prison tends to put some people on edge.

Talk to a doctor. I take 1mg Xanax as needed, but I weigh about 235 pounds. A woman who weighs half my weight would do fine with .25 or .5.

There is also an extended release xanax on the market which slowly dissolves in the body providing hours of relief. That works well also.

The instant release xanax is a generic, and even without health insurance is no more than 20 dollars per month.

B-12 is great. I take it by the handfuls (not really). I don't know if it is good for anxiety or depression, but it sure makes me feel better. It helps when I have to deal with a-holes. Look for the size that say 9,999,999,999,999% of your daily requirement. the pills are cheap. You can get a year supply for under $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back