Axle or Transmission Problem? 2011 Camry

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I had the Camry on a frame lift so the wheels would hang free. I observed that the driver-side wheel would rotate freely for about 1/4 turn before encountering resistance. This doesn't seem to be normal. I would think that there should be no free play. Might it be an axle issue or a transmission issue?

I've an appointment to have my wheel and suspension guy look at it on Wednesday and if need be will have my tranny guy take a look after that. The car seems to be driving well although sometimes there's a very slight "clunk" when upshifting.

Sounds like the differential, which is internal to your transmission. That’s not a simple fix, and yeah, it would cause a clunk.

Sounds like the differential, which is internal to your transmission. That’s not a simple fix, and yeah, it would cause a clunk.
Thanks for your input. I'll ask my guys about that and what they think. Nice to have a starting point.

Quarter turn sounds like a lot. But, in turning, did you notice that the other wheel turns backwards? I wonder if you are feeling take up / gear lash before the other side turns.

My guess, a clunk is probably motor mount, my '11 did appear to need new ones after 200k, which yours might not have, but it may have shifted the same amount of times as mine. Just a guess.

Quarter turn sounds like a lot. But, in turning, did you notice that the other wheel turns backwards? I wonder if you are feeling take up / gear lash before the other side turns.

My guess, a clunk is probably motor mount, my '11 did appear to need new ones after 200k, which yours might not have, but it may have shifted the same amount of times as mine. Just a guess.
Thanks for your input. I didn't check the other wheel. Motor mounts are new, OE, as of last June.

Back