Popping/clunking sound in right rear when weight shifts laterally

I'd welcome any ideas as I try to chase down a noise in the right rear wheel area of my 1997 Yukon with 170K. It started in the spring and has gotten more obvious. I'd call it a popping or clunking, though more popping. (It's not a big "thunk" sound like in a dry slip yoke situation, for instance.) I only hear it in the right rear wheel area when the weight of the vehicle shifts from side to side, usually when turning a corner. It also does it when I climb over our pretty aggressive curb to get into the driveway and the vehicle rocks front left to rear right.

I've been under it and looked at suspension bolts, body mounts, torsion bar mounts, and so on and can't find anything obvious. The right rear axle shaft had more in/out play in it than the left so I put in a different one and it made no difference. I can't replicate the sound by pushing the vehicle side to side at a standstill.

It sure sounds like it's in the wheel area, and out near the wheel (as opposed to in the middle near the differential). The sound reminds me of the sound you hear when you first lift a wheel up on to the lug studs. Kind of a hollow metallic sound as the wheel moves against the axle. But, the lugs are all tight and the wheel seems to fit onto the axle shaft fine. The drum also seems tight. I don't think the brake components are the culprit, but I admit haven't investigated them. I don't see bearings making this sound either.

Somewhere there is some play that shouldn't be there. This one is making me a little nutty so I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks a lot.

If its not the spare tire are the other poster suggested which is possible it sounds like something may be worn like an axle C clip or the pin in the diff. Pop the drums and look at the backing plate, I don't think it was this year but later ones that had some problems with them.

Thanks guys. Spare is tight. I put on a new C clip when I swapped axle shafts. Pin looked good. Didn't see anything chipped in the diff. I will take a look at the backing plate. Thanks again.

2012 Lexus es350, driver complaint of thunk when going over bumps, Swaybar bushing was to be replaced but the bolts wouldn't come loose so I convinced him to live with it for now, but after watching a Scotty Kilmer tutorial on bushing I seen him lubricate them with lithium grease and my thought was to try to force grease in through the straw, and see if that stops the noise. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure the day will come when I have to see the car again for something else.

Back