Avoid GEICO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been GEICO for couple of years. Not a single claim and ticket. But as you can see I have a couple of cars which is my hobby to keep them. So I will insure the only two vehicles which me and my wife will drive. To keep the engine circualted, I rotated my vehicles through GEICO. One day, I received a letter from GEICO saying that I was not welcome as their customer. I called the other insurance company to explain the situations. I was offered the same coverage at cheaper rate. And that ends my relationship with GEICO forever. Now GEICO sends me invitation and I told my post man send it back. Don't even bother to trash it in my recycle bin.

Last edited:
I could see an insurance company thinking there was something funny going on. I assume only liability?

I have had GEICO for maybe 10 years have had one claim that was somewhat my fault (avoiding a deer), once a tapped a lady's bumper and she claimed I scratched her beat up bumper and 2 glass claims. I think I am still getting their preferred driver discount which take 5 years of GEICO coverage to get. I have no issues with GEICO. I insure two cars for one driver which is the opposite of your situation.

What reason did Geico give you for cancelling/not renewing your coverage? They must have had a reason. As I understand it, you have seven vehicles but only insure the two you currently drive. The others you just run the engine to circulate the oil.Maybe the musical cars gave Geico cause for concern.

And the worst this GEICO is to raise the premium even though your car depreciate every year. No wonder Warren B is the richest man in the world. Not very social responsible, owning sugar water company (KO)the biggest threatening to our health next to smoking.

The reason GEICO cancel my insurance is too much of paper work for their agent to work which might cost them couple of min (dollar) to insure my vehcile. And that is what say said in the letter.

Last edited:
We have 4 insured with them, No problems at all, even totaled a vehicle years ago.They paid it off no problems and my rate only went up for 3 months .

Originally Posted By: JDW
We have 4 insured with them, No problems at all, even totaled a vehicle years ago.They paid it off no problems and my rate only went up for 3 months .

And that's the problem GEICO has. I have no claim, perfect credit score and no ticket. And they denied my insurance. You had one accident and premium raised mimimum. Doesn't seem right as an insurance company?

Last edited:
Be glad you don't have to deal with them on the repair end of things. They have a price file that is around 6 months old and the adjuster tried to call us and argue prices that the body shop charges him. I had one of their adjusters call and all of their prices for parts were at least a year old.

That is a blessing that geico does not want your business. U can get much better customer service, premium rates, and coverage from other companies. Fyi, I've been in the insurance industry for almost 20 years.

I had one accident after left GEICO, someone rear ended me. I get my insurance company respond very quickly. Sometimes, I feel sorry for my current insurance company. Wish accident happended under GEICO insurance to at least get some of my money back from Warren B and Company.

Last edited:
I used them from 2011 to 2013. Only had to use them once and it wasn't bad. I dropped them when they raised my 6 month premium by $60 because nys charges a $5 fee if you cancel your car insurance

Try a mutual insurance company instead.

There is no sense having a crowd of investors asking for a return on their $$; Competing interests built into a business model isn't a good thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

There is no sense having a crowd of investors asking for a return on their $$; Competing interests built into a business model isn't a good thing.

EXACTLY WHY I go with Nationwide!
thumbsup2.gif

Could not agree more with the bolded above.
wink.gif

Are there any others besides Nationwide??

Ah, GEICO. Cute marketing, downright mean spirited business practices. Does anyone else recall the time way yonder back when they'd immediately cancel a policy if the driver owned a radar detector..this, regardless of driving record or claims?

Live an learn...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

EXACTLY WHY I go with Nationwide!
thumbsup2.gif

Could not agree more with the bolded above.
wink.gif

Are there any others besides Nationwide??

Liberty Mutual.

I had Geico for a year then switched to Repressive and haven't looked back. While with Geico I thought I had simply declined to renew at my policy expiration date, they sent me a nasty letter saying that since I chose not to pay them I was getting OMG Cancelled!!

I've been getting their "ask us for a quote and well save you money" junk in the mail since the 1970's. The few times I've sent them in, their quote has been at least double or more for the same coverage.

I used to cut the address and bar codes off, stuff everything back into the business reply envelope and send it all back to them.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Ah, GEICO. Cute marketing, downright mean spirited business practices. Does anyone else recall the time way yonder back when they'd immediately cancel a policy if the driver owned a radar detector..this, regardless of driving record or claims?

Live an learn...

How would they learn if someone had a radar detector?

I'm thinking of calling an insurance broker and see what the deals are.

I've had geico for 15 years.

2 claims, zero problems, usually cheapest rate.

I do everything with the policy online, rarely call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back