Average new car payment $554

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Ws6

The point remains. The Mazda is more reliable, quieter, faster, and has comparable options and build quality. Some of the MBs raw materials are better, I agree, but that's about the sum of it.

Also, the air conditioned seats after the gym are legit huge. You dont get it until you get it.

My redneck "family sedan" has them. Don't feel so special.

Then you get it. I just checked and it seems the GLC300 offers them, as well.

The amount of insecurity in that particular CX-5 is astonishing.
You seriously need to tell Mazda to start advertise that car as competitor to MB or BMW. I guess they did not realize that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
You seriously need to tell Mazda to start advertise that car as competitor to MB or BMW. I guess they did not realize that.

They actually do. Audi, and Acura, as well as the base 2.0 Porsch Macan. It performs about the same, and offers more or less the same features. Some people are just under a rock, I guess.
Here is one of Mazdas comparisons...interior noise.

Random blog about it:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...tched-from-bmw-x3-to-2018-mazda-cx-5/amp

CX-5-NVH-graph.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

They actually do. Audi, and Acura, as well as the base 2.0 Porsch Macan. It performs about the same, and offers more or less the same features. Some people are just under a rock, I guess.

Random blog about it:

33.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

Random blog about it:

33.gif

Hey, I can't help that it is a ringer for the Macan, lol.

*i think the macon for 2019 got wider tires though, so while its not really faster, it should handle better, however, it did horrible in the "moose test" a while back compared to the cx5.

I mean, I get that its a Mazda, but its got more power, weighs less, and has a killer suspension setup, so it kindof is what it is.

Last edited:
43.gif

My Elantra gets better gas mileage than any of yours!!! I saved more money, and it keeps on saving. End of debate. Now I'm going to go pump some leftover pizza while enjoying the cooling effect of a wad of cash.
01.gif

Originally Posted by tony1679
43.gif

My Elantra gets better gas mileage than any of yours!!! I saved more money, and it keeps on saving. End of debate. Now I'm going to go pump some leftover pizza while enjoying the cooling effect of a wad of cash.
01.gif

Hyundai makes a good product, IMO. Never met a Hyundai owner who had a problem car. I view today's hyundai like a late 90s Toyota.

If a car would live in my world, Id have one for the mpg and performance, most definitely! They just wouldnt survive what I need them to.

Last edited:

They do already, advertising it as a class above. You will see those commercials while sitting in the VW waiting room

I loved my Mazdaspeed 3, and the CX-5 definitely punches above its weight. I much prefer my wife's E84 due to its RWD biased AWD system, but the CX-5 is certainly competitive with the German FWD based CUVs- and I'd pick it over any CUV from the Big 2.5.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I loved my Mazdaspeed 3, and the CX-5 definitely punches above its weight. I much prefer my wife's E84 due to its RWD biased AWD system, but the CX-5 is certainly competitive with the German FWD based CUVs- and I'd pick it over any CUV from the Big 2.5.

Curious, what are the advantages of a RWD biased system? My Jeep Grand Cherokee was RWD biased, and it did nothing my CX5 doesn't do, functionally, in any driving situation I encountered.

I abhor FWD in anything much bigger than a Mini. The E84 has a default 40/60 front/rear torque split so it performs like a RWD car in most situations. In a perfect world, everything in my garage would be RWD except for the Wrangler- but my wife wanted AWD. I decided to keep the Clubman since it is a perfectly fine car for my daily commute.

FWD has been mainstream now for 30 years or so. I remember way back that some would say they would never buy a front wheel drive vehicle.

I've had both. Each drivetrain has its pros and cons. I buy a vehicle based on other requirements and needs. Whether it's FWD or RWD makes no difference.

In my case I have a AWD vehicle.

I will admit that when I was looking to replace my MS3 back in 2015 I did consider one AWD car- a new STI. It wasn't a bad car, but I don't regret going with the M235i. If I had the money and was looking to replace the 2er today-which I'm not-a GT350 and M2C would probably be the only candidates. But to each his own.

I abhor FWD in anything much bigger than a Mini. The E84 has a default 40/60 front/rear torque split so it performs like a RWD car in most situations. In a perfect world, everything in my garage would be RWD except for the Wrangler- but my wife wanted AWD. I decided to keep the Clubman since it is a perfectly fine car for my daily commute.

I hate FWD, and refuse to ever own another one (owned an Infiniti G20 years ago). I used to LOVE RWD cars. Had 2 Trans Ams (LT1, LS1), a modded 5.0 GT (Fox), a C6 Z06, and 370Z, and then I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee w/HEMI and QD2, and realized just how much I'd been missing. Two CX5's later, I doubt I ever own another RWD vehicle again unless it's a Viper (the one sports car that I would pave my driveway for). AWD is just...better, and whether it's transverse, or longitudinal, doesn't matter a hill of beans to me as long as it's 50/50 torque dist or better. I drive my CX5 just like my 370Z (similar weight distribution), and it behaves the same on/off throttle in corners, etc. When I floor it in the rain, it just squats and GOES. All 310# of torque at 2000rpm doesn't bother it a bit.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Ws6
CX5>GLC in every way except interior appearance. I do like the layout and look of the GLC interior, but the performance and refinement of the Mazda more than trumps it, even if it cost the same.
Laughable...at best.

What's laughable is that I'm enjoying a quieter, faster vehicle and after pumping some iron in the morning will enjoy chilling out in the air conditioned seats on the way home, and for less expense. Enjoy those $200 oil changes, and that pano roof
wink.gif

That said, your amg43 is an awesome ride. The base one though, prefer my cx5.

(Seriously...why are MB oil changes so [censored] much? My z06 with 11.5 quarts of m1 synthetic still only ran a hundred and a half?)
It is laughable that you believe the Mazda trumps the Mercedes, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Why anyone would pay MB to do an oil change is beyond me, but for clarity, they do quite a bit more than just change the oil. I change both my MBs for the same cost or less as anyone else with a 7 QT sump--it is not rocket science and neither is the Z06.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
CX5>GLC in every way except interior appearance. I do like the layout and look of the GLC interior, but the performance and refinement of the Mazda more than trumps it, even if it cost the same.
Laughable...at best.

What's laughable is that I'm enjoying a quieter, faster vehicle and after pumping some iron in the morning will enjoy chilling out in the air conditioned seats on the way home, and for less expense. Enjoy those $200 oil changes, and that pano roof
wink.gif

That said, your amg43 is an awesome ride. The base one though, prefer my cx5.

(Seriously...why are MB oil changes so [censored] much? My z06 with 11.5 quarts of m1 synthetic still only ran a hundred and a half?)
It is laughable that you believe the Mazda trumps the Mercedes, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Why anyone would pay MB to do an oil change is beyond me, but for clarity, they do quite a bit more than just change the oil. I change both my MBs for the same cost or less as anyone else with a 7 QT sump--it is not rocket science and neither is the Z06.

You would think that it wasnt rocket science, but one dealership tech didn't even know where the oil went in my z06. Tried to take off the cap on the valve cover to pour it in!

As to GLC300 vs CX5 Sg or GTR, I for the life of me after riding in and looking at both, I couldnt sell you the MB over the CX5 with a logical argument even if they cost the same. I was one of those few honest car salesmen, lol! Yes, it cost me some money.

Nearly identical options, advantage cx5 for features, advantage GLC for sound system and Pano roof.
Nearly identical drivetrains, advantage cx5 for fuel (87-93 octane) and performance.
Styling is eye of the beholder.
Both have waayyyyy too many shiny interior surfaces. Minus for both.
Ride refinement advantage goes to cx5 for feeling of "solid" and NVH. Less creaks over uneven roads with the cx5. More rigid, like carved from a block of billet rigid, (at over 31,000Nm/deg deflection, it is up there similar to the 997 model porsche 911s, and you can feel it going across uneven drives, etc. The only MB stifferis the W222 S class, at 40,000Nm/deg). Quieter on the freeway than the GLC by a few dB, as well.

After experience with my neighbor's AMG43GLC, assuming the GLC300 os the same car, just with the different engine and transmission, I fail to see the appeal beyond "Its an MB!"

I mean, "quieter, more powerful, more refined over bumps, similar features" sways me a lot harder than "real metal dash accents and fiber optic stereo wires." Id rather a car with "great bones" and good skin than good bones and great skin, so to speak.

I mean, really...sell me on the MB as a vehicle. Use math and not your ego...try it. Torsional rigidity, acceleration, braking, engine performance, NVH, they all favor the Mazda. The interiors are different, with Mazda being very BMW esque, while the MB goes more toward beauty through complexity vs simplicity like Mazda/BMW, so that's kindof eye of the beholder, but they are both executed in very similar quality after touching and looking at both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
You would think that it wasnt rocket science, but one dealership tech didn't even know where the oil went in my z06. Tried to take off the cap on the valve cover to pour it in!
One dealership tech does not a trend make. I am not buying that dealers do not know how to change the oil in a Z06. It is a GM vehicle, not a Lamborghini.

Originally Posted by Ws6
As to GLC300 vs CX5 Sg or GTR, I for the life of me after riding in and looking at both, I couldnt sell you the MB over the CX5 with a logical argument even if they cost the same. I was one of those few honest car salesmen, lol! Yes, it cost me some money.

Nearly identical options, advantage cx5 for features, advantage GLC for sound system and Pano roof.
Nearly identical drivetrains, advantage cx5 for fuel (87-93 octane) and performance.
Styling is eye of the beholder.
Both have waayyyyy too many shiny interior surfaces. Minus for both.
Ride refinement advantage goes to cx5 for feeling of "solid" and NVH. Less creaks over uneven roads with the cx5. More rigid, like carved from a block of billet rigid, (at over 31,000Nm/deg deflection, it is up there similar to the 997 model porsche 911s, and you can feel it going across uneven drives, etc. The only MB stifferis the W222 S class, at 40,000Nm/deg). Quieter on the freeway than the GLC by a few dB, as well.

After experience with my neighbor's AMG43GLC, assuming the GLC300 os the same car, just with the different engine and transmission, I fail to see the appeal beyond "Its an MB!"

I mean, "quieter, more powerful, more refined over bumps, similar features" sways me a lot harder than "real metal dash accents and fiber optic stereo wires." Id rather a car with "great bones" and good skin than good bones and great skin, so to speak.

I mean, really...sell me on the MB as a vehicle. Use math and not your ego...try it. Torsional rigidity, acceleration, braking, engine performance, NVH, they all favor the Mazda. The interiors are different, with Mazda being very BMW esque, while the MB goes more toward beauty through complexity vs simplicity like Mazda/BMW, so that's kindof eye of the beholder, but they are both executed in very similar quality after touching and looking at both.
You are saying that in similarly equipped cars, the Mazda is better in every way? Based upon what I see under my AMG, if the GLC is similar (and I have to assume they are) there is no way the Mazda is the equivalent, much less better. Not sure what is happening with your neighbor's AMG, but there is nothing the Mazda can do to best my AMG--except in price, I will give that to Mazda. It is solid, rattle free, well designed and engineered, nothing Mazda has comes close. Also, if the Mazda outperforms the GLC (what year cars are we talking about anyway?), it definitely will not in 2020 given that MB just announced a 416HP 2.0L engine to replace all existing 2.0L engines. I question it outperforming the existing 2.0L engines in Sport+ mode. My wife's C300 and the GLC300 I recently had as a loaner car hauls the mail in Sport+.

In the end, if Mazda is your car, by all means carry on, but to suggest that Mazda tops Mercedes is a serious stretch...

You are saying that in similarly equipped cars, the Mazda is better in every way? Based upon what I see under my AMG, if the GLC is similar (and I have to assume they are) there is no way the Mazda is the equivalent, much less better. Not sure what is happening with your neighbor's AMG, but there is nothing the Mazda can do to best my AMG--except in price, I will give that to Mazda. It is solid, rattle free, well designed and engineered, nothing Mazda has comes close. Also, if the Mazda outperforms the GLC (what year cars are we talking about anyway?), it definitely will not in 2020 given that MB just announced a 416HP 2.0L engine to replace all existing 2.0L engines. I question it outperforming the existing 2.0L engines in Sport+ mode. My wife's C300 and the GLC300 I recently had as a loaner car hauls the mail in Sport+.

In the end, if Mazda is your car, by all means carry on, but to suggest that Mazda tops Mercedes is a serious stretch...

The 416hp motor is AMG only.
We are talking 2019, current.
I have not looked under my Mazda or a GLC300.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a27255337/2019-mazda-cx-5-reliability-maintenance/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15101871/2016-mercedes-benz-glc300-glc300-4matic-test-review/

This is the very best data I could find for the GLC300. It appears it is 0.3 faster to 60, and then the advantage fades and by the quarter mile the Mazda has pulled away, as well as beating it 30-50 and 50-70, regardless of using a 6 speed to its cog shuffling 9 speed. Motortrend got it at half a second slower to 60. Brakes and handling appear very similar, as well. Mpg is better on the cx5. It can also take 87 octane.

Here is motortrends test of the two:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mer...es-benz-glc300-review-long-term-arrival/
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2019/2019-mazda-cx-5-turbo-first-test-review/

The transmission and 3.0TT in your AMG are awesome, but the cx5 has a more refined ride (quieter, less structure flex) and stiffer body structure, although if they cost the same, etc. Id go with the AMG for that sweet motor and transmission. It really is a joy how it cracks off those shifts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Curious, what are the advantages of a RWD biased system? My Jeep Grand Cherokee was RWD biased, and it did nothing my CX5 doesn't do, functionally, in any driving situation I encountered.

All this time I thought you actually might be serious.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I hate FWD, and refuse to ever own another one (owned an Infiniti G20 years ago). I used to LOVE RWD cars. Had 2 Trans Ams (LT1, LS1), a modded 5.0 GT (Fox), a C6 Z06, and 370Z, and then I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee w/HEMI and QD2, and realized just how much I'd been missing. Two CX5's later, I doubt I ever own another RWD vehicle again unless it's a Viper (the one sports car that I would pave my driveway for). AWD is just...better, and whether it's transverse, or longitudinal, doesn't matter a hill of beans to me as long as it's 50/50 torque dist or better. I drive my CX5 just like my 370Z (similar weight distribution), and it behaves the same on/off throttle in corners, etc. When I floor it in the rain, it just squats and GOES. All 310# of torque at 2000rpm doesn't bother it a bit.

LOL, so you bought a car that runs 100% on FWD unless front wheels slip, runs on FWD platform, but you hate FWD? I apologize, this is actually sad, not funny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back