Autozone parts installed by GM dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the customer signs a waiver saying they understand that non oem parts were used.

We only accept that on body sheet metal, and in cases where oem parts are no longer available due to age, ect.

One court case can wipe out twenty years of honest business practices, and juries love to hand over millions.

And the dealer's liability insurance? They pay their full face value to the injured party, wipe their hands, and say, "son you're on your own".

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
its possible that the insurance company spec'd non-oem parts in their estimate......

Exactly.

My mom was recently in an accident pulling out of a parking lot. The guy in front of her decided not to go out that way and backed right into her front end.

I went to the dealer to asses the damage and make sure that nothing was left off the estimate. I specified OEM parts were to be used. His ins. came back after the adjuster went out there and said that they would NOT pay for OEM parts. They would only pay for non OEM parts that were of equivalent quality. If she wanted OEM she would have to cover the difference in price. I also had to talk to the adjuster on the phone and get him out to the dealer 2 more times to point things out that he conveniently left off the estimate parts list. Ins. companies don't want to pay for jack. IMO, they could careless about the quality of anything as long as they get out cheap as possible and will screw you if they know you're not really paying attention. There's a good chance I'll be dealing with these people for a while. I just saw the car yesterday and the replacement parts are junk IMO. The hood is warped. The problem is that my mom doesn't really know anything about this stuff and took delivery of the car. She might be out of luck getting anything else done but I plan on being a thorn in someones side until something is done or I can't amuse myself by giving them a hard time anymore.

Last edited:
In a vast majority of cases, OEM is produced at the same location as after-market. Do you really believe that the auto corps parts are designed at a more state-of-the-art facility and thus an improved item? Nyet.

The problem really isn't OEM vs. non OEM. Hey, I'd trust a non OEM Denso parts better than an AC Delco OEM part.

Now if they charge and claim that they install OEM but put in aftermarket, that's fraud or misleading.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
In a vast majority of cases, OEM is produced at the same location as after-market. Do you really believe that the auto corps parts are designed at a more state-of-the-art facility and thus an improved item? Nyet.

Although when it comes to collision parts, there is often a night and day difference. The non-OEM metal parts are not galvanized like OEM and often times require some manipulation to get close to OE panel alignment.

Aftermarket composite headlamps are lousy IMO also as they can turn cloudy quite fast unless frequently waxed.

Last edited:
The difference is product liability.

And if a dealer isn't considering that, he/she is a moron.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
its possible that the insurance company spec'd non-oem parts in their estimate......

Bingo! often they want used parts on an older vehicle too.

Many times that happened at the Chrysler dealer I used to work at. OEM radiator $700 aftermarket $250. Insurance says were paying $250 so you get aftermarket.
One thing I really liked about the parts manager at this dealer is if he could discount the OEM part enough he would substitute
it.

If the RO doesn't indicate a NON OEM part, than a genuine factory replacement must be used. Indeed ,not telling the customer about such a subtitution is FRAUD! plain and simple!!!!!!!

Well, it would depend on if you charged them for an OEM part or not. And if it was a warranty repair or not.

My stance (and unfortunate experience) is that unless very special circumstances are involved (no OEM available, part not safety related) that a dealer with millions invested can't afford to be sued out of existence if non OEM part fails and causes someone to be injured or killed. I'm not even speaking to the quality (or lack thereof) of the non-OEM part, but their lack of product liability.

So even in circumstances of customer request of non OEM parts when the part is safety related and an OEM is available, I've had to say sorry, you'll have to get that job done elsewhere. Same thing for putting oils in engines/trannys that are of different viscosity than manufacturer recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back