Technique for installing GM Oil/Trans cooler quick connects on new radiator

Need to replace the radiator in my Mom's 99 S10 for the 2nd time. 4-5 years ago I bought the truck to flip and put a cheapie radiator in it and I remember removing the cooler lines and reinstalling them into the 'quick' connect fittings that came with the cheap rad being a huge pain. Now that radiator is leaking and I am doing it again correctly since its staying in the family. Have a new GM radiator and new GM fittings. I was wondering if it would hurt anything to lube up the oring inside the connector and connect them to the lines first then thread the fitting into the radiator? Seems like it would be much easier, but not sure if it would hurt anything? In theory it should all go together easily since its real GM parts, but I am still nervous.

This style fittings:

It's a good idea to lube the seals. I do that when it's a tight fit going in. Makes it easier and it reduces the chance of the seal getting damaged.

You need a set of tools for removing those connections.

91Az6w5FfoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

but putting them together is just a press fit.

You need a set of tools for removing those connections.

91Az6w5FfoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

but putting them together is just a press fit.
I generally like to think I'm 1/2 way smart.. but I was thinking about how these things work completely wrong.... I pulled the snap rings to remove them which really isn't to bad (and now I know there is a tool to keep you from removing those rings) but upon reinstall I was pushing the line in then reinstalling the ring which only goes in one way and holding the line in tight and getting that ring in is dang near impossible... Now I see you install with clip on fitting first which indeed would make it quick. Goodness..

Here's a video for any that are curious. I never even thought to look up a how to on these things.

Just leave the clips in the fittings (New radiator should have them preinstalled), I use an Awl to remove the clips.
I was surprised that the new GM radiator came without fittings, so I had to figure out what the correct ones were and order for an additional $45 for the 4...

Installed radiator today with no issues. I just pulled the clips off the old ones to remove and lubed up/pushed the lines into the new fittings without much effort.

a little pick would do what you have to to get those clips off , i have done it a few times, just dont loose them

Back