oil change at the dealership

At this point most of what is being used is synthetic. 0W20 will only be synthetic. Remember that the service writers you talk to often are not well versed on these details....they are sales people, not technical folks.
Amazing that a few whom were there when I picked up my BMW in 12/06, are still there at least late 2022. Just as incompetent as well.

I once had this guy tell me my car stalled, because I am not putting my key fob into the dash to charge it.

I said but I have comfort access and it has a 2032 coin cell, the whole idea is to not have to put it into the dash. He goes look, you wanted to know why your car stalled, and I told you. hahahahahahahaha

Not sure how open you'd be to the idea, but this is why my aging self still does my own oil changes. I want to know exactly what goes in it in terms of both oil and filter, aside from the fact that it's much cheaper and also quicker just to do it in the driveway.
It's clean and easy on anything after your first go round with it.

Most dealerships are greedy. They could easily buy the cheapest 5W-20 conventional in a drum. Then they could use it for all oil changes on cars that are speced 0W-20 and no one would know. The more expensive oil they use, the lower their profit. It's a conflict of interests for the dealership if they give you good oil.

Not sure how open you'd be to the idea, but this is why my aging self still does my own oil changes. I want to know exactly what goes in it in terms of both oil and filter, aside from the fact that it's much cheaper and also quicker just to do it in the driveway.
I wish I could do them myself, but would not ever attempt it for a few reasons, and I realize . I live in a condo and it is not allowed, what would I do with the old oil? I am scared to death to jack up my car,..and never attempt anything on my car I am not mechanically inclined.
With that being said I know there are some women who do their own mechanical and maintenance, but not me. But I do appreciate the reply, and do realize the only way you know if anything is done right is to do it yourself.

Right on, and also when you diy I feel you are “in touch” with your vehicle and notice things about the engine…

Most dealerships are greedy. They could easily buy the cheapest 5W-20 conventional in a drum. Then they could use it for all oil changes on cars that are speced 0W-20 and no one would know. The more expensive oil they use, the lower their profit. It's a conflict of interests for the dealership if they give you good oil.
I think it’s not just greed, it’s survival. For example, we can see envision a restaurants woes. Food costs and even outlandish minimum wages. Waiters getting $15 plus tips? That’s why owners and families suddenly wait tables.

I think a dealer is faced with the same, and, cars need so little maintenance today they have to lie cheat and steal to break even. Imagine how much cheating there is on warranty claims to the point where bmw requires old parts to be scanned in before the claim can be approved

Imagine how many jobs aren’t done and warranty part pocketed. When exposed they’ll offer a free oil change and car wash 🤣

Right on, and also when you diy I feel you are “in touch” with your vehicle and notice things about the engine…
Agree with that. When I first leased then purchased this Pilot brand new,...I paid attention to the engine ever since that 1st time. Now when anything deviates from that I have it checked out.

If I were suspicious of getting what I was paying for I’d suggest Valvoline Instant Oil Change. Their business model is great and the (well trained) youngsters doing the work have no motive to rip you off.

If I were suspicious of getting what I was paying for I’d suggest Valvoline Instant Oil Change. Their business model is great and the (well trained) youngsters doing the work have no motive to rip you off.
I am juts going to ask them next time to use the oil from the containers and not the barrels.

I am juts going to ask them next time to use the oil from the containers and not the barrels.
Maybe talk to friends and do some research for a good local shop rather than the dealer? We have an EXCELLENT local shop that does everything on our vehicles that isn't warranty covered or done by Discount Tire.

Last edited:
Maybe talk to friends and do some research for a good local shop rather than the dealer? We have an EXCELLENT local shop that does everything on our vehicles that isn't warranty covered.
It's always good to have a local shop that you trust and can have work done on your car...even for just oil changes. Dealers can be just fine or terrible - remember, oil changes at dealers are done by "lube techs" which are the lowest person on the totem poll and while I'm sure many are fine folks working their way up to being techs, many are not. Source - my son works as a tech-in-training at a dealer.

It's always good to have a local shop that you trust and can have work done on your car...even for just oil changes. Dealers can be just fine or terrible - remember, oil changes at dealers are done by "lube techs" which are the lowest person on the totem poll and while I'm sure many are fine folks working their way up to being techs, many are not. Source - my son works as a tech-in-training at a dealer.
I used to have a local mechanic that I did all of my work, that was until he became sloppy. Didn't tight the bolts correctly, had some fluid leakages, and left a screwdriver in my engine compartment! Yikes! Thank God I found it before it jammed the belts! I heard it rattling around! So I don't go to him anymore. Not many others ones in my area have good ratings. At the dealership I only have one of the master techs do all of my work, and yes he does my oil changes, because I can watch him through the window. But thanks for the reply and suggestion. It certainly was easier and more convenient to go to the local guy because he was only 10 minutes from my house, and the dealership is much farther. Also the local guy only gives a 90 day warranty on big jobs, not on anything else! and the dealership at least gives 1 year on anything they do. Local guy put in new brakes for me,...the clips did not fit correctly on the pads,...I kept hearing a rattling thought my wheels were going to fall off,...only to find the clips were the wrong ones. I have had the local guy use "almost genuine parts" and my Pilot does not like it. At least with the dealership I get genuine parts.

I used to have a local mechanic that I did all of my work, that was until he became sloppy. Didn't tight the bolts correctly, had some fluid leakages, and left a screwdriver in my engine compartment! Yikes! Thank God I found it before it jammed the belts! I heard it rattling around! So I don't go to him anymore. Not many others ones in my area have good ratings. At the dealership I only have one of the master techs do all of my work, and yes he does my oil changes, because I can watch him through the window. But thanks for the reply and suggestion. It certainly was easier and more convenient to go to the local guy because he was only 10 minutes from my house, and the dealership is much farther. Also the local guy only gives a 90 day warranty on big jobs, not on anything else! and the dealership at least gives 1 year on anything they do. Local guy put in new brakes for me,...the clips did not fit correctly on the pads,...I kept hearing a rattling thought my wheels were going to fall off,...only to find the clips were the wrong ones. I have had the local guy use "almost genuine parts" and my Pilot does not like it. At least with the dealership I get genuine parts.
I have to admit this much...the pandemic changed things. I used to look at a local garage as "smart hands." I was able to buy Bilstein B6 front and back with sway bar bushings, provide all the parts to them down to sway bar end links, mounts, bellows, etc., and they charged $400 labor. I got the whole suspension to B6 for less than Midas would charge for Gabriel quick struts fronts only. I distinctly sense those days are over and they don't underestimate labor when supplying parts....

The only thing about dealerships is the parts cannon effect. There's no troubleshooting--it's replace all and never knowing if it was only an inexpensive part and 1 hour labor.

I have to admit this much...the pandemic changed things. I used to look at a local garage as "smart hands." I was able to buy Bilstein B6 front and back with sway bar bushings, provide all the parts to them down to sway bar end links, mounts, bellows, etc., and they charged $400 labor. I got the whole suspension to B6 for less than Midas would charge for Gabriel quick struts fronts only. I distinctly sense those days are over and they don't underestimate labor when supplying parts....

The only thing about dealerships is the parts cannon effect. There's no troubleshooting--it's replace all and never knowing if it was only an inexpensive part and 1 hour labor.
Oh I totally agree, the pandemic totally changed a lot of things and especially car parts. Dealerships, can be parts cannon effect, bu thankfully I have only had to have maintenance things done.

Oh I totally agree, the pandemic totally changed a lot of things and especially car parts. Dealerships, can be parts cannon effect, bu thankfully I have only had to have maintenance things done.
I'll always use my 10 y.o., new to me, Lexus in 2016, as an example. Because they said $79 for brake flush and $119 for coolant drain/fill, I booked an appointment. So oddly, it ended up being $59 and $109, $30 cheaper than I was quoted. And I got a free multipoint too!

That multipoint said $6,700 of repairs were needed. I was floored and a bit scared to tell you the truth.

Took the car to a Japanese indie, and he said, here's what you need and what we recommend from that list: $0

That shop is still my go to for Lexus and frankly anything Japanese if I had another. Timing belt job was $950 when Lexus wanted $1,800. But that was 2017...bet prices have vastly gone up. But they are still smart hands which is what I need. However, the decision is when customer provides parts, no warranty. Net net, we all need these shops, especially when we run into jobs we can't DIY (I could not do the V8 02 sensors, wasted 2 hours of my time but I wanted to try and be familiar with the job...)

I'll always use my 10 y.o., new to me, Lexus in 2016, as an example. Because they said $79 for brake flush and $119 for coolant drain/fill, I booked an appointment. So oddly, it ended up being $59 and $109, $30 cheaper than I was quoted. And I got a free multipoint too!

That multipoint said $6,700 of repairs were needed. I was floored and a bit scared to tell you the truth.

Took the car to a Japanese indie, and he said, here's what you need and what we recommend from that list: $0

That shop is still my go to for Lexus and frankly anything Japanese if I had another. Timing belt job was $950 when Lexus wanted $1,800. But that was 2017...bet prices have vastly gone up. But they are still smart hands which is what I need. However, the decision is when customer provides parts, no warranty. Net net, we all need these shops, especially when we run into jobs we can't DIY (I could not do the V8 02 sensors, wasted 2 hours of my time but I wanted to try and be familiar with the job...)
Agree John,...and in a pinch if I had to go back to the local guy for a 2nd opinion I would,...he was a Honda tech before he opened up his own shop. I will say with the research that I do prior to taking my car in, they sort of know not to BS me, because I will call them on it.

I wish I could do them myself, but would not ever attempt it for a few reasons, and I realize . I live in a condo and it is not allowed, what would I do with the old oil? I am scared to death to jack up my car,..and never attempt anything on my car I am not mechanically inclined.
With that being said I know there are some women who do their own mechanical and maintenance, but not me. But I do appreciate the reply, and do realize the only way you know if anything is done right is to do it yourself.

Find a friend who is willing to help you do it at their house.
I change the oil on 3 of my friend's vehicles for them.
Also swap their summer and winter tires back and forth.
Returning used oil is easy. Put it any sort of jug, could be a milk jug even, and take it back to where you bought the new oil.
Changed the oil in my friend's Mercedes Benz last week for her.
She has to drive past a Canadian Tire store to even leave her house, or go home.
She stopped and bought oil on the way to my house, and I gave her the oil from about 10 oil changes to drop off on her way back home. I buy milk in 4 liter jugs, and amongst the oil jugs I gave her, were 2 milk jugs full of used oil.

• Helpful
Reactions: rcs
I think it’s not just greed, it’s survival. For example, we can see envision a restaurants woes. Food costs and even outlandish minimum wages. Waiters getting $15 plus tips? That’s why owners and families suddenly wait tables.

I think a dealer is faced with the same, and, cars need so little maintenance today they have to lie cheat and steal to break even. Imagine how much cheating there is on warranty claims to the point where bmw requires old parts to be scanned in before the claim can be approved

Imagine how many jobs aren’t done and warranty part pocketed. When exposed they’ll offer a free oil change and car wash 🤣
Tips cannot be counted on. That's the issue with deciding what a "fair wage" for servers. How much is somebody worth who is bringing your food? Think about that for a moment....When we reach a time when "TIP" is automatically added to your bill, then you have a point. Many on this forum are unbelievable cheap.

How many times does this actually happen (warranty work not done)-is that your view or do you have statistics to back it up?

Yes, I don't trust dealerships. On a used vehicle I bought, the carfax I ordered listed a dealership did the 30,000 mile service on a traded in vehicle right before putting it up for sale. It listed things like replace battery, do valve adjustment, do transmission fluid drain/fill, do oil / filter change, change brake fluid, change power steering fluid.
I thought to myself, what dealership would have wasted all this money on service right before putting a traded in vehicle up for sale.
Could this be a lie, and probably they never did any of it.

I prefer to deal with a true blue trusted local independent mechanic who I've know for many years and who doesn't even charge me for small repairs out of how honest and how much integrity he has. I don't think any dealership can be trusted for even an oil change, and I feel sorry for those people owning a relatively new car who go to dealerships only to get a $700+ repair bill every time.

It's better to buy the OEM parts from the cheapest online dealership parts department you can find (even if it's located in another state), and have them ship you the parts (at prices close to wholesale), and have your local mechanic who only charges $80 an hour labor do the install and ask for the old parts to be put in a box and given to you. This way your can be sure the work was done, and you wallet is a lot heavier with cash by using this strategy.

Last edited:
Back