oil change at the dealership

I once got my oil changed at the Honda dealer for my son's 2012 Honda Accord EX-L.
It was speced for 0W-20, but after I talked with the service tech, he said they are using 5W-20 conventional oil from a drum
from Gulf oil company for all oil changes because it's the cheapest oil they can find (to increase the dealership profits on the usually low profit oil changes). He said 5W-20 and 0W-20 are interchangeable so it doesn't mater.

They also didn't let an ASE Mechanic do the oil change. They routed it to their Express service,
which is a 2 bay small building attached to the left side of the dealership just for fluid changes.
They had a young guy doing the oil changes, looked about 19 years old, and he had trouble understanding English.

After the oil change was over, I checked the fluid level, it was 1 quart low. I am unsure if that was an intentional cost cutting move to save dealership oil costs, or if it was accidental.

I took my vehicle to a Honda dealer expecting the best oil change you can get, and I got the worst oil change (worse than most quick lube places). I won't ever get an oil change at a dealer ever again. I've lost trust in dealerships. Their main reason to exist is to be an infinite cash cow for the dealership owner, by price gauging / cutting corners on every aspect of the dealership's operations.
I hear you on these issues. I agree the oil change lane is the worst. I have had work done by a local mechanic and after some time did not trust him, so I went to the dealership and started having my maintenance items done there. I asked my service guy "who do you trust with your car in this dealership". He told me the Techs name, and that is who I ask for all the time. This tech really is a gem, totally ASE certified mechanic and will even tell me if something is not needed. He does do my oil changes, tire rotations as well as the big things,...he did my timing belt change. I used to hate taking it there and having the young guys change my oil. I could watch them through the window, and one of them dinged my car with the nozzle for the oil fill. Of course he looked right at me, I smiled and he got the manager over, and they fixed it. My point is, if you ever decide to go back to a dealership, ask the service guy who writes up the maintenance who he uses, it worked out well for me. As far as the kind of oil they use,...I can only hope they are telling me the truth.

The first oil change on my new Titan was from the dealer . A freebie . The manual specs 0W-20 synthetic . When the girl handed me my keys I asked her about the oil they used . She looked at the ticket and said " They used 10W-30 conventional " . Oh hell no . That's not gonna fly . They took it back and changed it again . This time I watched them through the big window . Since that day I used a different dealer until the warranty expired and I started using a private shop . Assume nothing . You gotta ask .
Totally agree,...you have to ask! I was ready to do the same thing,..have them take it back into the garage and do it over again!

I hear you on these issues. I agree the oil change lane is the worst. I have had work done by a local mechanic and after some time did not trust him, so I went to the dealership and started having my maintenance items done there. I asked my service guy "who do you trust with your car in this dealership". He told me the Techs name, and that is who I ask for all the time. This tech really is a gem, totally ASE certified mechanic and will even tell me if something is not needed. He does do my oil changes, tire rotations as well as the big things,...he did my timing belt change. I used to hate taking it there and having the young guys change my oil. I could watch them through the window, and one of them dinged my car with the nozzle for the oil fill. Of course he looked right at me, I smiled and he got the manager over, and they fixed it. My point is, if you ever decide to go back to a dealership, ask the service guy who writes up the maintenance who he uses, it worked out well for me. As far as the kind of oil they use,...I can only hope they are telling me the truth.
Yes, that is a good plan. Perhaps a better way to ask the same question to the tech is: Who is your most senior mechanic at the dealership that is given all the really tough jobs. Then write down that name and always ask for that person.

I only go to the dealership now for minivan sliding door issues, and I ask for that 1 senior mechanic.
But still I face a major problem at the Honda Dealer now. Their "book" of how much time a procedure takes, was actually written by them.
For example, putting a new motor in a sliding door takes an experienced dealership mechanic about 30 minutes.
But their "book" says it takes 2.5 hours, and they charge you 2.5 hours * $199 an hour labor.

Also, 2nd problem is: If service department gets part from their parts dept, they markup the part's price about 200%.
But if you go to the same parts dept, and ask them for their online url, and on your phone with credit card you buy that same part using the browser on the phone, all while never leaving the dealership, and then you pickup from same parts dept that same part and hand it to the service tech yourself, markup from wholesale is only about 20% instead of 200%.

I really need to find a local mechanic who isn't afraid to work on Honda Odyssey sliding doors.
Then I can avoid the dealership forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcs
Yes, that is a good plan. Perhaps a better way to ask the same question to the tech is: Who is your most senior mechanic at the dealership that is given all the really tough jobs. Then write down that name and always ask for that person.

I only go to the dealership now for minivan sliding door issues, and I ask for that 1 senior mechanic.
But still I face a major problem at the Honda Dealer now. Their "book" of how much time a procedure takes, was actually written by them.
For example, putting a new motor in a sliding door takes an experienced dealership mechanic about 30 minutes.
But their "book" says it takes 2.5 hours, and they charge you 2.5 hours * $199 an hour labor.

Also, 2nd problem is: If service department gets part from their parts dept, they markup the part's price about 200%.
But if you go to the same parts dept, and ask them for their online url, and on your phone with credit you buy that same part using the browser on the phone, all while never leaving the dealership, and then you pickup from same parts dept that same part and hand it to the service tech yourself, markup from wholesale is only about 20% instead of 200%.

I really need to find a local mechanic who isn't afraid to work on Honda Odyssey sliding doors.
Then I can avoid the dealership forever.
Agree,...great plan.

Another flavor..
Screenshot_20230503-210550~2.jpg

Why would synthetic not be sold in drums too? It is....

0W20 only comes in full-synthetic or at least I've never seen semi-synthetic 0W20.

Relax, you're misinformed, not being duped.
Kendall , Phillips 66 and Motorcraft have a semi-synthetic 0w-20 . All are related . Been out on the market for long period of time .

3 times I paid for Mobil 1 at GMC.

The third time they accidentally stapled the work order to my invoice showing dexos.

Absolutely dealers don’t know what they’re doing so if we let them work on our cars we’ll never really know. I never let a dealer change oil on any of our cars now.

It’s all about skin in the game. They figure the things they work on are owned by a huge entity (finance co) not a person so their mistakes are spread across many vehicles and not a big deal

Think about it, Lexus routinely changes 7/8 spark plugs because as the Meatloaf song goes, seven out of eight ain’t bad ☺️

Honda Genuine 0w-20 Blend was available . I think that was related to Phillips oils . Not sure about now .

0W20 only comes in full-synthetic or at least I've never seen semi-synthetic 0W20.

Relax, you're misinformed, not being duped.
Actually, my hometowm mechanic told me that the dealerships use semi-synthetic in the large drums, that is why he always used the quart containers, that is where I received that information. And at the dealership website, they have a coupon for semi-synthetic. This why I asked the original question. Also in retrospect, the service manager said to me that the quart containers were more expensive, it made me rethink the whole thing. But I am happy everyone here helped me to realize it was okay.

3 times I paid for Mobil 1 at GMC.

The third time they accidentally stapled the work order to my invoice showing dexos.

Absolutely dealers don’t know what they’re doing so if we let them work on our cars we’ll never really know. I never let a dealer change oil on any of our cars now.

It’s all about skin in the game. They figure the things they work on are owned by a huge entity (finance co) not a person so their mistakes are spread across many vehicles and not a big deal

Think about it, Lexus routinely changes 7/8 spark plugs because as the Meatloaf song goes, seven out of eight ain’t bad ☺️
Dexos isn't a brand, it's a specification...Mobil 1 is a Dexos approved oil...are you sure the oil used wasn't Mobil 1???...if I paid for Mobil 1 and something else was used, I'd be talking to the Service Advisor...good luck with yours

Bill

Dexos isn't a brand, it's a specification...Mobil 1 is a Dexos approved oil...are you sure the oil used wasn't Mobil 1???...if I paid for Mobil 1 and something else was used, I'd be talking to the Service Advisor...good luck with yours

Bill
Yes, I am sure. They admitted it and wouldn’t you know, blamed the tech (makes no sense the tech follows the order like a line cook).

The oil changes were sold as Dexos $39.95, Mobil 1 $69.95. Back in 2011.

I get that it’s discouraging and we should “just have faith.” With dealers, I do not. It’s like a bank. Only not surprising when they fail.

I’ve gotten quite a few satisfactory oil changes at my preferred VW dealer, which I was doing for warranty protection as much as anything. Now with the Mustang definitely not keen on this dealership using synthetic blend in a turbo.

Thinking of using VIOC instead. Anybody know if they report to Carfax reliably?

exactly. It might not be marketed to the general public but that doesn't mean it can't be purchased in barrels or in bulk via tanker. most of us need a gallon or two and shop where they sell consumer sizes, jobbers do it differently.

I’ve gotten quite a few satisfactory oil changes at my preferred VW dealer, which I was doing for warranty protection as much as anything. Now with the Mustang definitely not keen on this dealership using synthetic blend in a turbo.

Thinking of using VIOC instead. Anybody know if they report to Carfax reliably?
I used to think that way, but as mentioned, we haven't had a dealer do an oil change in over 10 years. It's mythical, I now realize, to think there is any correlation between having a dealer oil change, and warranty. Isn't this how whole life insurance was sold? Annuities? And again, with my 1998 Nissan, I too let the dealer do the oil through 60k.

Our purchased brand new 2011 GM car which only got 3 dealer oil changes in 2011-2012 (I'm sure I got ripped off on all 3 paying $69.95 for the $39.95 job), has had over 8 years of warranty repairs (factory plus extended). Never once did anyone say, you got a spreadsheet of oil changes before we click deny? :ROFLMAO:

exactly. It might not be marketed to the general public but that doesn't mean it can't be purchased in barrels or in bulk via tanker. most of us need a gallon or two and shop where they sell consumer sizes, jobbers do it differently.
Does one actually believe a BMW dealer pours oil from a plastic liter, rather than use a hose? BMW has been using full synthetic for at least back to 2001, maybe further. The reason there isn't any upsell there was that it was free, and it would be more trouble to switch to dino juice, than it is at GM. But, when my uncle ran a quick oil change place, they did pour from bottles--he said so people watching through the glass would feel assured they were really using the product they were being charged for. Swindling is swindling, sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze, cuz what if those bottles were refilled from the hose? Now it's getting far fecthed :LOL:

I used to think that way, but as mentioned, we haven't had a dealer do an oil change in over 10 years. It's mythical, I now realize, to think there is any correlation between having a dealer oil change, and warranty.

Dealer I bought my Ram w Cummins from gave me 4 free oil changes.
Still haven't taken them up on it, with the added thought that they have 5 open recalls on the truck
that they keep pestering me about 126,000 miles later.

Dealer I bought my Ram w Cummins from gave me 4 free oil changes.
Still haven't taken them up on it, with the added thought that they have 5 open recalls on the truck
that they keep pestering me about 126,000 miles later.
The funny thing about oil changes is it used to be whenever a customer wasn't satisifed, they'd say we'll give you a free oil change. Today, in reality, that's more $$$$$ than anyone really wants to give away free. (I got $14.95 oil changes and $19.95 ones with my 1998 Nissan--imho there was a shift away from DIY when it was that cheap)

I didn't get a $10 state inspection coupon processed correctly and the mgr said that--I'd rather have the $10 off as it should have been. Firestone did that (ugh I know never go there). But like you, there's too much at stake, I don't want them touching my oil.....

Does one actually believe a BMW dealer pours oil from a plastic liter, rather than use a hose? BMW has been using full synthetic for at least back to 2001, maybe further. The reason there isn't any upsell there was that it was free, and it would be more trouble to switch to dino juice, than it is at GM. But, when my uncle ran a quick oil change place, they did pour from bottles--he said so people watching through the glass would feel assured they were really using the product they were being charged for. Swindling is swindling, sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze, cuz what if those bottles were refilled from the hose? Now it's getting far fecthed :LOL:

most service places just can't do it with packaging when they can do it in bulk.. not only because of cost but also because of all that plastic waste that goes in the garbage.
I worked in a large fleet all my life, I couldn't imagine having to get rid of a dumpster full of empty gallon oil jugs on a constant basis.
We even went to the point of crushing oil filters simply because they were considered hazardous waste so we had to put those old filters in sealed drums that went to an incinerator.

Same applies to dealers.. and oil change places.. storage and handling of drums is bad enough, they dont want the garbage full of plastic bottles

My dealer tech told me it was Mobile 1, and I believe him...he has been very honest, and has told me on a few occaisions when work did not need to be done.

At this point most of what is being used is synthetic. 0W20 will only be synthetic. Remember that the service writers you talk to often are not well versed on these details....they are sales people, not technical folks.

Back