oil change at the dealership

Hi blkwtr, it's actually quite simple. My local honest trusted mechanic doesn't charge me for diagnosis. He tell's me what is wrong, and what parts to get, and he trusts that I'll come back in about a week to get the work done once the genuine Honda parts arrive that I order at close to wholesale prices. It's worth it to me because I don't want a car full of cheap aftermarket parts with limited longevity.
Seems like you are fortunate to have such a mechanic.

Yes, that is a good plan. Perhaps a better way to ask the same question to the tech is: Who is your most senior mechanic at the dealership that is given all the really tough jobs. Then write down that name and always ask for that person.

I only go to the dealership now for minivan sliding door issues, and I ask for that 1 senior mechanic.
But still I face a major problem at the Honda Dealer now. Their "book" of how much time a procedure takes, was actually written by them.
For example, putting a new motor in a sliding door takes an experienced dealership mechanic about 30 minutes.
But their "book" says it takes 2.5 hours, and they charge you 2.5 hours * $199 an hour labor.

Also, 2nd problem is: If service department gets part from their parts dept, they markup the part's price about 200%.
But if you go to the same parts dept, and ask them for their online url, and on your phone with credit card you buy that same part using the browser on the phone, all while never leaving the dealership, and then you pickup from same parts dept that same part and hand it to the service tech yourself, markup from wholesale is only about 20% instead of 200%.

I really need to find a local mechanic who isn't afraid to work on Honda Odyssey sliding doors.
Then I can avoid the dealership forever.
Ya that’s how young (good) mechanics make money. They take jobs that they can bang out in half the book time & rack up 20 hours in one day.

Ya that’s how young (good) mechanics make money. They take jobs that they can bang out in half the book time & rack up 20 hours in one day.
Yea, the primary (and only goal) of all new car dealerships is to separate you from your money by any tactic they can think of.
Also, who wants a dealership mechanic working on your car if they have a huge financial incentive to do a rush job and move on to the next car. I would prefer a mechanic who is only focused on my car and working slowly, meticulously, and carefully.

Seems my BMW and Lexus use manufacturer branded motor oil, and the Corvette calls for one variety of Mobil One. I always check the parts numbers on my receipt to see what they claim to have put in.

And everything seems to cost around $11 a quart. The days of $2 a quart motor oil are long gone.
Every BMW I service usually has a Castrol sticker or logo on the fuel cap or radiator support. It says Castrol Recommended engine oil and states the spec. I would assume Castrol is their branded oil sold under BMW. Lexus doesn't have any unique specs that I recall. All my Corvettes recommend Mobil 1 as well with my C4 actually having a Mobil 1 emblem under the hood.

Back