AutoZone or AAP for new car battery ?

AutoZone or AAP for new car battery ?

I want a ‘gold’ type premium battery or Diehard battery.

Are both of these still made by Johnson Control ?

You would be better off getting the Everstart MAXX battery at WalMart if they are sourced from East Penn or the Duracell labeled battery at Sam's Club (which are manufactured by EP), instead of a Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls) battery. The Everstart MAXX battery will have bar code with a serial number under it. If the serial number starts with EP, it is an East Penn battery. If it starts with JCI, it is a Clarios battery.

my last replacement was a Napa... at least at the time they were still East Penn/Deka, which is what Meijer used to carry, when we carried car batteries, and I've never had an issue with East Penn/Deka batteries.

I find WM to be soooo painful. There's definitely a cost for the low price. That said, if you're willing to brave the store and the core return, the batts seem solid.

Last time I ordered with my FirstCall account, and that was great. Price was within $10 of WM, they brought it to me and I handed the driver the core which was promptly credited the next day. But I understand not everyone has access to a commercial account.....

I go to Costco as my first choice with Walmart as a close second.
Be aware that some of the Interstate branded batteries at Costco are now being sourced from Exide instead of Clarios. The Exide batteries have the integrated fold-down hinged handles which sit flush with the top of the battery case. See this previous BITOG thread:

Costco Batteries

I find WM to be soooo painful. There's definitely a cost for the low price. That said, if you're willing to brave the store and the core return, the batts seem solid.

Last time I ordered with my FirstCall account, and that was great. Price was within $10 of WM, they brought it to me and I handed the driver the core which was promptly credited the next day. But I understand not everyone has access to a commercial account.....

Yeah, I avoid Walmart unless it’s absolutely necessary.

I’m not a Costco member….

Last edited:
Be aware that some of the Interstate branded batteries at Costco are now being sourced from Exide instead of Clarios. The Exide batteries have the integrated fold-down hinged handles which sit flush with the top of the battery case. See this previous BITOG thread:

Costco Batteries
I'll have to check what I bought from them. The warranty was the best of the bunch at the time, as was the price. Auto Zone and AAP priced themselves out of the market as far as I was concerned when I needed mine.

Yeah, I avoid Walmart unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Painful???? I go in get the battery go out install in parking lot take core back and get a candy bar on the way out....NOT painful at all and there batteries over the years have been good to me with no issues...
The experience at WalMart is often related to the clientele and staffing of a particular store's location. I always head to the store located in the suburbs and avoid the inner-city locations when possible. Never had a significant issue at any of the WalMarts in my area; however, there was a notorious event a few years back where a woman gunned down her estranged spouse in the WalMart parking lot. Ironically, this occurred at the upscale suburb location!

Yorktown WalMart Shooting

I switched from Autozone batteries to Interstate batteries and for the past 3 or 4 years have gone to Walmart.

The Interstate battery on my Tundra failed early one Sunday morning near Hilton Head, S. C. when I was getting ready to return to Pensacola. I got a ride to Walmart and bought a new one and installed it. The next time I went to Walmart in Pensacola, I returned the old battery for a core charge refund.

Easy peasy!

Reactions: hrv
Last couple of batteries I bought were from Batteries+Bulbs. They had the best price locally, since the nearest Walmart had nothing in stock that would fit. These are Die Hard branded batteries and come with a decent warranty, plus the experience is a whole lot nicer than Walmart, AAP or AZ.
Back when AAP had generous coupon codes that you could apply to batteries they were usually the best deal.

Everstart Maxx are either JCI or East Penn depending on where you live. I would guess Florida is JCI since GA, SC and NC are. Parts of VA are EP which makes sense given their closer to the factory. You can tell based on serial number - which will start either with JC or EP signifying manufacture.

Your not really gaining anything by going to the auto parts store IMHO. Been using walmart batteries for years. Those that failed in warranty were no issue to get replaced.

Last two I actually showed up when the auto center was closed, selected my own battery off the shelf, popped the caps off and tested with my portable tester, and wheeled it through self checkout in a grocery cart.

Last edited:
Back