Autozone Counter Schmuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Autozone again yesterday to pick up another 5 quarts of the 0W30 GC and K&N filter. While ringing up I mentioned to the guy that Advance Auto had the same special but didnt carry the sweet 'made in Germany GC nectar'! He just shrugged his shoulders and said "ehh whatever makes no difference, oil is oil, it all comes from the ground" I hate that deuschbags like these work at Autozones & Advanced Autos and is the reason I will never get my autoparts from them in fear of getting the wrong part. Carquest FTW!

I used to experience that alot at AZ, but things are different now. They have a new manager, and all new staff at my local autozone. They actually all have brains at this one!

Last time I got GC from Autozone he asked me if I had a European car. I told him no, why? He said if I used the European oils in my Japanese car it could mess up the engine.

I stared at him blankly, paid and left.

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
Last time I got GC from Autozone he asked me if I had a European car. I told him no, why? He said if I used the European oils in my Japanese car it could mess up the engine.

crackmeup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

What would be the anatomically correct oil for Japanese engines? You should have asked.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
What would be the anatomically correct oil for Japanese engines? You should have asked.

Wouldn't that be oil made from Fossilized Rice Byproducts?

Hahaha, GC could mess up a Japanese engine! I think we expect a lot from non-Bitoger's. My friend Anthony still gets $1o6 services from VW for his Golf TDI; after pestering him with the attributes of M1 (tdt) 5-4o, and how he pays $1o6 for a non-diesel specific oil for his beloved vehicle... And the fact that it was the friends on Bitog that told me the attributes of the same, he started listening. He got his last $1o6 OC from the dealer, and will do what Bitog-ers would do; change the oil himself, with care and time and good products.

A PepBoys Manager said the GC o-3o may not be ok for a 5-3o Mazda Protege; I looked at him and said "Ever hear of BobisTheOilGuy.com ? You want to check it out." I paid, and got out.

-A

In defense of the guy who made the comment about 0W-30:

If one had a car that spec'ed 5W-20 or 5W-30 energy conserving formulas, and one used Castrol Syntec 0W-30 made in Germany instead of say Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy, there would be a big difference between the two.

Look at the specs if you don't believe me:

Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula:
Mercedes Benz 229.1, 229.3, 229.5
VW 502.00, 505.00, 503.01
BMW LL-01
ILSAC GF-3 (does not meet GF-4 energy conserving spec)
ACEA A3, B3, B4

Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy:
GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Chrysler MS-6395
ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving
ACEA A1/B1

Note: At one time there was a Mobil 1 0W-30 European Formula Oil very similar to GC sold at retail stores in the US, but it has been replaced by the their Advanced Fuel Economy formula. It still may exist in Europe or at certain German car dealers in the US.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
I went to Autozone again yesterday to pick up another 5 quarts of the 0W30 GC and K&N filter. While ringing up I mentioned to the guy that Advance Auto had the same special but didnt carry the sweet 'made in Germany GC nectar'! He just shrugged his shoulders and said "ehh whatever makes no difference, oil is oil, it all comes from the ground" I hate that deuschbags like these work at Autozones & Advanced Autos and is the reason I will never get my autoparts from them in fear of getting the wrong part. Carquest FTW!

I'm not sure why you're upset. His attitude is not so different from many on this forum who buy "whatever SM oil that's on sale" or shop for oil at the Dollar Store.

Originally Posted By: Ken E.
Originally Posted By: 05Blazer

I'm not sure why you're upset. His attitude is not so different from many on this forum who buy "whatever SM oil that's on sale" or shop for oil at the Dollar Store.

...or cry "hey, it's API SM approved, that's all I need to know". Some people need a 'terminator' to a potentially new thought process they would rather not get into (either to avoid intimidation, preserve what they hold as true and not upset that paradigm, etc). The 'terminator' in this case was "yeah, it's all the same, it comes from the same place". How do you reply to that without starting a conflict of interest? Most people don't because it's a fruitless journey...they just pay and leave.
27.gif

It is called continent clash , it is very bad when it on occasion happens.

Do not ever trust any advice whom works at AutoZone,are not certified and do not know what they are talking about

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Originally Posted By: Guy with a blank stare
It is called continent clash , it is very bad when it on occasion happens.

When the Teutonic plate crashes into anything, it's bad news.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Do not ever trust any advice whom works at AutoZone,are not certified and do not know what they are talking about

Most of them are certifiable.

re. Mark888's comment regarding M1 AFE V GC o-3o specs.

Whoa.

But comeon, don't most non-GC ow3o's get in deep and clean crud out better that a 5w3o, or 1ow3o or 1ow4o?

From a basic math look of it, a ow3o, or ow4o seems to be an ideal product for most passanger vehicles. And since many have alleged a zero weight has more PAO and a better base stock, it appears the best of both worlds: increased flow and better cleaning ability, and protection.

All on sale no less.

-F

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650
OK, the specs are different. Which one do you think is the better set of specs and why?

I don't think it is a question of which is better. They are quite different oils (despite the viscosity "labeling" being the same) designed for different applications.

I agree with the auto parts store clerk, I would not use a 0W-30 European Formula in a newer car that calls for 5W-20 (and permits 5W-30). If the engine has significant miles and engine wear, then I might consider it.

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
re. Mark888's comment regarding M1 AFE V GC o-3o specs.

Whoa.

But comeon, don't most non-GC ow3o's get in deep and clean crud out better that a 5w3o, or 1ow3o or 1ow4o?

From a basic math look of it, a ow3o, or ow4o seems to be an ideal product for most passanger vehicles. And since many have alleged a zero weight has more PAO and a better base stock, it appears the best of both worlds: increased flow and better cleaning ability, and protection.

All on sale no less. -F

If one had a late model Japanese or American car that called for 5W-20 or 5W-30 without significant engine wear, then the Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Energy Savings formula would be fine, but I would not recommend the GC 0W-30 in that application. I am sure that there are other oils beside Mobil 1 0W-30 that would also be fine (Mobil 1 makes a 0W-30 European formula sold in the EU that would not be appropriate).

The viscosity "labeling" is important (but manufacturers have fairly wide latitude as to how they label viscosity) but look at the certifications, they are quite different. So I would make sure that would ever oil I used had an appropriate viscosity and had the manufacturer certifications required for my car. Almost all American and Japanese cars (except for a few) specify energy saving formulas, so that is important also.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

If one had a late model Japanese or American car that called for 5W-20 or 5W-30 without significant engine wear, then the Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Energy Savings formula would be fine, but I would not recommend the GC 0W-30 in that application.

Hmmm, I would disagree. Those same Japanese and American engines when sold in Europe are specified for European style oils. The "Energy Conserving" label is hardly indicative of a big difference: "Those that are at least 1.5% better than a standard reference oil are rated as Energy Conserving." http://www.roadandtravel.com/carcare/oildetails.htm Wow, instead of getting 20 mpg I might get 20.3 mpg. Hardly an earth shattering improvement, and GC is going to give excellent wear protection in those Japanese and American engines you are concerned about.

European specifications must accommodate very high speed operation for long periods of time (Autobahn) with consequently high oil temperatures. It isn't surprising that European oil specs tend to favor higher HTHS ratings at the expense of the modest energy saving of a US style oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back