Autozone Counter Schmuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a couple ball joints from autozone 5 months ago and the rubber boots are already ripped, so I told my friend how I'm going to return them cause they have a lifetime warranty and my friend warned me about how Autozone would give me a hard time, blaming me for the damage part that it's been abuse and so on. anyways I took them in and the guy at the counter stared at the ball joints for about 5 minutes and fiddling with it and he brought out some new ones and compared them side by side just to make sure it's theirs, this took another 5 minutes of eye balling them. While he was holding 1 ball joint at each hand, he told me that the one his holding on the left hand is a different style and so on and so on. I told him that's because your holding it upside down, he did not say a word after that and just refunded me..

Atleast the counter clown said what is Basically correct "Oil is oil" and didn't try to tell you that brand X makes sludge. He sounds like the smarter of the AutoZone employees.
LOL.gif

Not as bas as the guy at AZ who told me if I switched from M1 to Durablend that my car would blow up..

The only oil I go to Autozone for is 0W-30 GC. I hate the look on their faces about the '0W'. I once got asked what I was putting THAT thin stuff in. I said "My lawn mower". And I really use it in my lawn mower, weed eater (4-stroke), push mower, LS1 Trans Am, and wife's 2.4 Eclipse.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Steve S

Originally Posted By: Guy with a blank stare
I stared at him blankly, paid and left.
It is called continent clash , it is very bad when it on occasion happens.

When the Teutonic plate crashes into anything, it's bad news.

LOL.gif
nicely done.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Hmmm, I would disagree. Those same Japanese and American engines when sold in Europe are specified for European style oils. The "Energy Conserving" label is hardly indicative of a big difference: "Those that are at least 1.5% better than a standard reference oil are rated as Energy Conserving." http://www.roadandtravel.com/carcare/oildetails.htm Wow, instead of getting 20 mpg I might get 20.3 mpg. Hardly an earth shattering improvement, and GC is going to give excellent wear protection in those Japanese and American engines you are concerned about.

European specifications must accommodate very high speed operation for long periods of time (Autobahn) with consequently high oil temperatures. It isn't surprising that European oil specs tend to favor higher HTHS ratings at the expense of the modest energy saving of a US style oils.

Please provide evidence of a Japanese engine specfying 0W-30 European formula oil (or any 0W-30). I am not talking about using a 5W-30 where a 5W-20 is used in the US (that may be acceptable), I am talking about a European formula 0W-30 specifically designed for certain VW, MB, and BMW engines.

I am not advocating you use an energy conserving formula just to save on gas. There are other factors involved. The lack of energy saving formula is just one indication that it may not be suitable.

In previous threads, I have suggested that using 5W-30 may be OK where 5W-20 is preferred by the auto manufacturer (so long as they only "recommend" 5W-20 and also allow 5W-30), but using GC 0W-30 is whole other ballgame IMO. This only applies to late model cars, and not the ones with lots of mile on them that many on this forum drive.

If you engine specifies any of these specs (that CG) does not have then you should not use it:
GM 6094M, GM 4718M
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Chrysler MS-6395
ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving
ACEA A1/B1

Does anyone know how the European GM LL-A-025 spec compares to the GM 6094M or GM 4718M spec. Some of the cars imported into the US use the same engines as their European cousins (ie Saturn Astra). GC meets both GM LL-A-025 and LL-B-25, this makes me confident to use it in GM 6094M applications as this is a cold pumpability spec and a 0W Full PAO oil will blow away 90% of the oils meeting this spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: astraelraen
Last time I got GC from Autozone he asked me if I had a European car. I told him no, why? He said if I used the European oils in my Japanese car it could mess up the engine.

I ran multi-cylinder diesel oil in my single piston gasoline motorcycle
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: astraelraen
Last time I got GC from Autozone he asked me if I had a European car. I told him no, why? He said if I used the European oils in my Japanese car it could mess up the engine.

I ran multi-cylinder diesel oil in my single piston gasoline motorcycle
happy2.gif

Rotella all the way in my 4-wheeler.

My 06 tacoma 4.0l is going to blow up I run GC for 50k of it's life.

BTW I picked up 20 more QT's

Check this out:

If you look at the Castrol Australia site recommendation for this car: Corolla Sportivo 1796cm³ 2ZZ-GE Eng. (2003-2005)

it recommends Castrol Magnatec 10W-40.

If you look at the Castrol USA site for the same car: Corolla 1.8L 2005 (1ZZ or 2ZZ engine)

it recommends Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and some other 5W-30s

Interestingly the certifications of the Australian Magnatec are similar to GC, and totally different than the USA Syntec 5W-30.

(I'm running GC in my Corolla.)

Originally Posted By: T-Bone
Check this out:

If you look at the Castrol Australia site recommendation for this car: Corolla Sportivo 1796cm³ 2ZZ-GE Eng. (2003-2005)

it recommends Castrol Magnatec 10W-40.

If you look at the Castrol USA site for the same car: Corolla 1.8L 2005 (1ZZ or 2ZZ engine)

it recommends Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and some other 5W-30s

Interestingly the certifications of the Australian Magnatec are similar to GC, and totally different than the USA Syntec 5W-30.

(I'm running GC in my Corolla.)

Well the right oil for an engine depends on the climate it's driven in. Australia's climate compared to America is the difference of night and day.

You're comparing a continent with majority desert, equatorial and tropical climate to one which is mostly continental and subtropical.

Originally Posted By: el_zorro
Does anyone know how the European GM LL-A-025 spec compares to the GM 6094M or GM 4718M spec. Some of the cars imported into the US use the same engines as their European cousins (ie Saturn Astra). GC meets both GM LL-A-025 and LL-B-25, this makes me confident to use it in GM 6094M applications as this is a cold pumpability spec and a 0W Full PAO oil will blow away 90% of the oils meeting this spec.

Ask them at AutoZone!

Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan
You're comparing a continent with majority desert, equatorial and tropical climate to one which is mostly continental and subtropical.

I think you are exaggerating more than a little. Very few people live in the interior desert areas of Australia.

In Sydney, the coldest month daily average is 46F low to a high of 61F. The hottest summer month daily average is 65F low to 78F high.

In Melbourne, the coldest month daily average is 43F low to a high of 56F. The hottest summer month daily average is 58F low and 78F high.

Adelaide is in-between Melbourne and Sydney in terms of latitude (and temps). Perth and Brisbane are just slightly warmer, but like almost all cities in Australia, they are on the coast, so the temps do not get very high.

That covers the top 5 cities by population in Australia, and the vast majority of the total population.

Well i wouldn't say I got mad, I just got frustrated because I was trying to educate him about why the GC is a good oil and he cut me off in mid sentence to say what he said. Now, who says he has to think that I know what I am talking about? no one, but he should still not be ignorant as to cut me off in mid sentence especially when I'm the friggin customer for cryin out loud. Plus they didn't even know that they dropped their prices on that oil in that store from $29.99 to $24.99 with the K&N filter. Thats pretty poor managment and service to not know your own product prices better than your customers'.

I was in Melbourne this summer (February) and the weather is crazy there in the summer. It varied between (60F to 112F) for highs during the day. It was like a cross between San Francisco and Las Vegas in the summer. When the wind came directly from the north there was nothing to temper it as it came across the sun baked outback, it was like an oven. I agree that Australia has some wild weather. Most of the US has crazy extremes also, I am a north Midwesterner and from Minnesota to Michigan we have extreme temp changes also. I fish on a lake in Northern Minnesota where it is -40F in the winter with 3+ feet of ice and then in the summer it is 95F and almost 80F lake temperatures. Motor oil that is designed to work in these extremes like Full Syn 0W-30 is a necessity. In the winter I need pumpability down to -40F.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
What would be the anatomically correct oil for Japanese engines? You should have asked.

I don't know the answer to that, but riddle me this: is it a coincidence that Honda calls its blue long life coolant Type II when the Japanese smelt contains a Type II Antifreeze protein?
whistle.gif

Few months ago, i was in my local autozone, buying MMO..got to counter, and coutner guy showed and told me to get lucas UCL it totaly blows anyting else away. Ive used this stuff alot, and like MMO alot better. I was trying to tell him that, but his mouth kept running on about the UCL...so i basically ddint say anyting, loked away with boredom and a stare that plainly read I dont care...so he said, ok if thats what you wanna do...
Initially, i wanted to tell him thats what i was trying to do until you pushed that [censored] in my face and opened your mouth lol.
NAPA FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back