AutoRX to clean motorcycle clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I've tried the search but didn't find anything.

I've acquired an '86 Honda VF 500 F with a slipping clutch that I believe was caused by the PO using EC oil. It only has 18,000 miles on the clock.

From the collective knowledge here will an AutoRX treatment correct this problem if is due to the use of EC oil on this wet clutch?

I'll probably do the treatment anyway.

John

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Change the clutch and related parts.

At least change the plates with the friction material. Once the FM stuff gets baked into that material on older clutches, you can't get it out. The all metal plates can be cleaned.

The longer you ride it with a slipping clutch, the more likely you are to warp the steel plates. Don't waste your time with ARx on that one, it could cost you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

I know it is wise to change it out. Still, if AutoRx will do the job...

I e-mailed Frank at AutoRx and this was his reply.

"Please go to www.auto-rx.com and click on Cycle-Rx read test results on wet clutch on Harley and the show bike. Auto-rx will clean up the friction modifiers. Frank"

I think I'll try it. Currently it only slips marginally at high load, and I really think it is due to the use of EC oils.

I'll post back after I get some miles on it one way or another.

John

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Change the clutch and related parts.

At least change the plates with the friction material. Once the FM stuff gets baked into that material on older clutches, you can't get it out. The all metal plates can be cleaned.

The longer you ride it with a slipping clutch, the more likely you are to warp the steel plates. Don't waste your time with ARx on that one, it could cost you.

Exactly!

The problem in any kind of slow cleaning is just that, slow cleaning. In the meantime while the cleaning is going on the clutch is slipping and burning out or glazing over. I'd change it, not knocking A-Rx but IMO you are going to end up changing it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back