AutoRx Directions for Group III Oil w) Car Under 100,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJH

For cars under 100,000 miles, I am pretty sure the directions are to mix it with your regular oil. If it is dino, leave it in for 750 miles. If it is synthetic, leave it in for 1,500 miles. Then you do the "rinse" for 1,000 to 3,000 miles with dino being preferred.

The oil I have in my car now is Shell Rotella T 5W40 which is a group III oil. Shell calls it "full synthetic" but people on here call Group III oils "fake synthetic". I am going to do the "rinse" with dino, so no issue there.

Question is: "FOR GROUP III, DO I LEAVE AUTO RX IN FOR 750 MILES OR 1,500 MILES? I am thinking maybe go 1,000 miles, then do the rinse (I am 600 miles into the Auto Rx treatment phase right now). Anyone have an opinion?

[ August 24, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

You plan for 1,000 miles is good. For others with interest about this topic please go to www.auto-rx.com and check out the newly redesigned FAQ page just put up today which will answer questions on "synthetic"/"non-synthetic" oil and mileage requirements. It will also answer many others questions about correct usage of Auto-Rx.

Great! Thanks for the quick response.

quote:

Originally posted by The Pammer:
You plan for 1,000 miles is good. For others with interest about this topic please go to www.auto-rx.com and check out the newly redesigned FAQ page just put up today which will answer questions on "synthetic"/"non-synthetic" oil and mileage requirements. It will also answer many others questions about correct usage of Auto-Rx.

OK, I had 7,200 miles on the Rotella T 5W40. Had a UOA done. The oil had thickened to a 50W and insolubles were 0.6% (lab said 0.7% was max acceptable).

Added Auto Rx to the Rotella (along with a fresh filter) at this point and ran for 1,000 miles. Then changed the filter and oil to dino. I plan to run it for about 2,000 miles.

I cut open the filter used for the Auto Rx treatment. The filter element was black, but otherwise no signs of any deposits anywhere on the filter.

So I am wondering...if the high calcium level in the Rotella T cleaned out the engine which resulted in the 0.6% insolubles? This would mean the engine was clean and there was nothing left for Auto Rx to remove.

The car uses about 1 Qt of oil per 2,000 miles. I am anxious to see if this improved after the Auto Rx treatment.

Anyone have a comment about what might have happened?

[ August 30, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

Look at what comes out of filter and oil after 2000 mile rinse.Calcium readings
should be taken again after Auto-Rx treatment is finished. Oil usage will go down after treatment
during first regular oil change out (no Auto-Rx)
using your original oil.

Thanks Frank, I am watching closely.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
should be taken again after Auto-Rx treatment is finished. Oil usage will go down after treatment
using your original oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
using your original oil.

I am 500 miles into the rinse, and there is no sign of any consumption of the rinse oil and it still looks medium amber in color. While this is indeed a very positiive sign that Rx did its thing, I have sometimes been fooler before by drawing a conclusion too quickly. So for now, let's just say it is very encouraging. I will continue to watch the oil level / consumption very closely.

I got to say that in order to eliminate any confusion over the ARX instructions.KISS ( keep it simple stupid) ( Not directed at anyone here) I am just going to run the clean cycle 1000 miles and the ruinse 1000 miles ..and then do the same againe with my second bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back