Autopsied: Honda Application, Napa Gold 1334

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Napa Gold/Wix 1334 after 7800+ miles and 18 months in a '00 Honda Accord V6. Fairly boring autopsy, no problems found. ADBV still supple. No sludge or buildup in canister. Note the removable threaded end bypass. This fitler was purchased approximately three years ago. Replaced with P1 #PL14459 purchased approximately a year ago (KMart store closing, heckuvadeal!)

HNpoilfitler.jpg

Great pic, thx for posting.

Is it just me or does Wix filters seem "beefier" inside... even though the design cuts down on media.

They are beefy. I think there is plenty of media. Average filter efficiency (BETA 2/20=22/40). IIRC, this filter is larger in circumference than the factory filter. I have autopsied them too but can't find the pics and I recently emptied my cut open filter "morgue." Likely it evens out. I believe the Fram built OE Honda filters uses the fiber endcaps, so that leaves lots more room for media. I haven't cut open a P1 yet. See me in about 18 months!

I never liked the beta ratios for the 51334. Only 50% @ 22 microns and 95% @ 40 microns. Holds up well, though.

Quote:
Is it just me or does Wix filters seem "beefier" inside... even though the design cuts down on media.
If by beefier meaning it's seems solidly built I'd agree. However, my first thought when looking at it was, I'd like to know the 1334 total media area, to compare it to a comparable Purolator PL/L 14459.

Also, just curious if the apparent space in the media is the joining seam area, and if it's as wide as it appears, or is that the camera angle?

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
I never liked the beta ratios for the 51334. Only 50% @ 22 microns and 95% @ 40 microns. Holds up well, though.

+1. That's what I have against the Wix is the low efficiency rating, that and they are a little pricey. The price would be good if the efficiency was higher. I guess if the efficiency rating is lower you don't need the extra filter media for holding capacity that the baseplate-end bypass takes up. They seem built faily well and I like the idea of the baseplate-end bypass but I'm not sure the WIX is worth giving up efficiency and media area.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
If by beefier meaning it's seems solidly built I'd agree. However, my first thought when looking at it was, I'd like to know the 1334 total media area, to compare it to a comparable Purolator PL/L 14459.

Also, just curious if the apparent space in the media is the joining seam area, and if it's as wide as it appears, or is that the camera angle?

+1 on knowing what the media area is on that 1334. I think the Purolator 14459 is around 85 sq-in.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Quote:

+1 on knowing what the media area is on that 1334. I think the Purolator 14459 is around 85 sq-in.

Well, I'll let that media drip dry for a while longer and, if I remember, I'll cut it loose and make a rough measurement.

Here's what I use to get a very close estimate without having to cut the media loose. Pleat depth x #pleats x 2 x media width. Based on doing it that way and comparing to actual measurement, it's real close.

That said, actual measurement will work too.
thumbsup2.gif
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Nice to know it's a well built unit.
thumbsup2.gif

It's well known WIX,NG are top notch in construction shouldn't be anything new to you.
56.gif

Here's what I use to get a very close estimate without having to cut the media loose. Pleat depth x #pleats x 2 x media width. Based on doing it that way and comparing to actual measurement, it's real close.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks.

I'll give this a shot, thanks. From whence did this pearl of wisdom emerge? I just love little things like this that add so much spice to my obsession! ( : < )

wow I never thought to do it that way... I collect the new filters i cut open, which is why I didn't do media area in my posts.

If I have a few drinks I might have to go and update my cut open threads with media area

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks.

I'll give this a shot, thanks. From whence did this pearl of wisdom emerge? I just love little things like this that add so much spice to my obsession! ( : < )

I think it emerged in PM exchanges with another member ZeeOSix, regarding finding the media area of the PL/L14459, without cutting the media off. Counting/recounting the pleats can be somewhat tedious, but not too bad. And I generally try to take the pleat depth in a few spots just to confirm the most accurate depth.

Can't say if it qualifies as a "pearl of wisdom", but I like the expression and it sounds good.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Good filter, that one. It works on my John-Deere (Yanmar) diesel, various motorcycles, etc... Nice to know it's a well built unit.
thumbsup2.gif

Those fit my John deere as well but the J.D. dealer sells the J.D. filters at about half the price of the local Napa store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back