NAPA Gold versus Platinum Construction - and Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased three oil filters, in anticipation of my first DIY oil change on my Honda Crosstour V6 3.5l (I've done many oil changes on many other cars before). I know all about the Honda 15400-PLM-A01 vs. -02 thing. I know Wix makes some of the best filters out there, including the NAPA Gold, Platinum, and probably others, and also the Super Tech (Wal-Mart) ST9688. I bought a Platinum, Gold and the ST9688 for $8.49, $6.75 (both on sale), and $2.84, respectively.

All are Wix filters. I assumed the dome-end bypass valve design of the ST was the low end, and found an up-front safety bypass valve, and silicone ADBV in the Gold filter. Then, to my surprise and dismay, I found a dome-end bypass valve in the Platinum filter!

I assumed that the up-front bypass valve was superior construction.

I would be sold on Platinum if it had the construction features of the Gold plus the wire-screen backed, synthetic media.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

jv

Personally the efficiency of the Wix platinum is a turn off for me. For the price of a Platinum I can buy a Fram Ultra with much better efficiency. I say this as a guy who traditionally used Wix filters and avoided Fram. In a Wix filter my go to is the Napa Gold for it's excellent construction, decent efficiency and affordability. I don't bother with the lower tier Wix filters like the Napa Silver and ProTech or whatever the name of their entry level filter is.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Personally the efficiency of the Wix platinum is a turn off for me. For the price of a Platinum I can buy a Fram Ultra with much better efficiency. I say this as a guy who traditionally used Wix filters and avoided Fram. In a Wix filter my go to is the Napa Gold for it's excellent construction, decent efficiency and affordability. I don't bother with the lower tier Wix filters like the Napa Silver and ProTech or whatever the name of their entry level filter is.

Well said sir
smile.gif

The Platinum is a great filter that will be good for a very long OCI, but probably overkill for following the OLM

How much were the Proselect and Silver at Napa? The ST is the same as Proselect, but Walmart's line is consolidated while Napa has the full line of Proselects. The Silver is like the PS but with an extra pleat or two. Any of them will be fine for the minder-suggested OCI, as would the Gold.

If you were to only change the filter every other OCI (which is actually what Honda recommends), then I'd use the Platinum.

What are the date codes on the filters? Perhaps the Platinum is a slow-moving product and is older. Sometimes they do change the filters from time to time. For example, the Wix 57356 (and Napa Gold 7356) originally had a black ADBV, then later it became silicone. There are other cases where Wix changed the bypass design from the dome end to the thread end. And of course, Wix filters that use the slotted center tube now had round holes in the past.

The only Wixes I have on hand are a 51040 with no bypass (because the engine already has a bypass in the block), and a 51315 (has an anti-siphon valve which prevents you from seeing into the filter)

I been using the Napa proselects with zero issues. The efficiency of the OEM isnt that high either so I doubt any issues with the proselect, not sure why some are afraid to use them. Lower efficiency sure, but very well built. Id use Fram Ultras on long drains but I dont plan to extend my drain intervals out too long.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

thumbsup2.gif
FlyNavyP3, this is very well-stated and very good advice. My thoughts are the same as yours on this.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The ST is the same as Proselect, but Walmart's line is consolidated while Napa has the full line of Proselects.

I don't understand this, can you please elaborate?

BTW, the PS is $4.05, Silver $4.50, both on sale.

Originally Posted By: jviss
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The ST is the same as Proselect, but Walmart's line is consolidated while Napa has the full line of Proselects.

I don't understand this, can you please elaborate?

BTW, the PS is $4.05, Silver $4.50, both on sale.

Sure
thumbsup2.gif

For example, Napa offers the Proselect in part numbers 27356 and 21334 (analogous to Fram 3593A, 9688, and 7317)
But Walmart will only offer a ST9688 for all three applications

Does that help?
smile.gif

Not really! For example, how do two Proselect part numbers correspond to three Fram p/n's, and how does the one ST filter satisy all of these applications?

Think about it this way, while XP is a full syn, the Gold and reg WIX are glass blend, like a M1, advertised for the same distance as XP. And does just fine in 15k applications. As far as wire backing is concerned, I think the syn media is prone to collapsing (fine, cloth like mesh) hence the need for backing, vs a rigid cellulose material. I can't think of a good reason other than it being a band aid for a shortcoming. So the price, lack of efficiency makes me not even consider the XP for any reason.
Proselect/silver I don't trust the combo valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back