NapaGold 1356, cut open ~6200 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topic filter run 6 months 2.5L Rogue with some Havoline ProDS 5w20 closed out at O'R. This filter application used to be the spec filter for Hondas before Wix redesigned baseplate. I purchased it around the time of the changeover just never got around to using it. Made 3/11 stored inside. For information only, topic filter inlet holes bigger and baseplate slightly convex to engine block as compared to 7356. Worked fine on the Rogue and no start up rattle like the adbv defect Gonher oem I pulled off awhile ago.

Because it's such a hard working 2.5L suv I used Rotella Gas Truck 5w20, $10/jug AZ.
56.gif
Also used a Napa Platinum 47356 I got for $5 on sale awhile back. Though I use the Gold, thought at that price try one on the Rogue. Just to note, this not my vehicle, but in the family and I help maintain.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This filter ticks all my boxes except efficiency which im not sure even matters.

Big inlet holes, metal end caps, big round tube holes, big ol stiff spring, silicone adbv

This filter looks as new..with 1000 miles a month this would easily make it a year or more by the looks of it.

Looks just fine to me, as NAPA Gold/Wix always do.
Does the new design still have the thread end bypass, or did it get moved to the dome end?

Although I have a few filters in my stash, I still wish I had bought a few of the $5 Platinum filters (then I could run Pennzoil Platinum with a NAPA Platinum filter!
laugh.gif
).
I had put a few in my cart, but never ordered.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
This filter ticks all my boxes except efficiency which im not sure even matters.

Big inlet holes, metal end caps, big round tube holes, big ol stiff spring, silicone adbv

This filter looks as new..with 1000 miles a month this would easily make it a year or more by the looks of it.

Efficiency rating on the normal WIX and NAPA Golds is 95% @ 20u. That's not bad, and what I'd consider the low end of the high efficiency range in filters (ie, 95% - 99% @ 20u).

Sayjac ... filter looks good, nice C&P - thanks.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Looks just fine to me, as NAPA Gold/Wix always do.
Does the new design still have the thread end bypass, or did it get moved to the dome end?

Unit on the right in the last photo is the base end bypass valve assembly.

Originally Posted by blupupher
….Does the new design still have the thread end bypass, or did it get moved to the dome end?.
When I mentioned new design, I was referring to the replacement 7356 and yes it uses thread end bypass. When introduced started as dome, but rather quickly switched to thread end. Afaik topic filter still the same construction, just no longer spec for Honda. Yes, at $5 thought the Platinum worth a try, so purchased with the Rogue in mind.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
..Sayjac ... filter looks good, nice C&P - thanks.
You're welcome Zee.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

... This filter application used to be the spec filter for Hondas before Wix redesigned baseplate. I purchased it around the time of the changeover just never got around to using it.

This filter model would bottom out on a nut on the filter boss of one generation of Honda Civic, maybe another model as well. You would tighten the filter down, think it was tight, but the filter was bottoming on the end plate, not the gasket. And it would leak. BADLY.

Wonder how many engines WIX replaced before the redesign of the base plate ... ?!?!

You're welcome MParr, 53'.

Strictly for reference purposes, Wix redesigned the baseplate (2011/12) on several applications beyond that of topic and created new application numbers for them. 'Not scientific and it's been some time' but I personally never saw any anecdotal complaints about leaks posted this subforum when it was spec for Honda. Perhaps a newer vehicle(s) design change necessitated the modification. Be that as it may, one would think a company looking to improve it's product, and that warrants it, a good thing. I would. As it relates to this specific anecdote application though, irrelevant. As noted, worked well as designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back