PL14610 Cut Open

This one run on a Rogue 2.5L for 8600 miles/13months with RGT 5w20. Didn't plan on going that long, but OE battery had to be replaced, thus the oil change notice reset. There was a sticker on the window, but checking that apparently not a priority. ;) However, between oil and filter, seemed handled well. Same oil and Napa Gold 7356 back on. This one made 10/2019. Very satisfied with results. Even though I rarely see anything, included media pic which I might have seen a few flecks along the length
P1020274.JPG P1020276.JPGP1020277.JPGP1020281.JPGP1020282.JPG
P1020288.JPGP1020289.JPG

Looks about perfect...

Plenty of filter media in it too. These filters are now "rated" for 15,000 miles. Definitely can handle that no problem.

Hope you are doing well Sayjac.

Always good to see you on here.

^^^^Back at you bbhero. Yes plenty of media, tight and uniform and seam pleat area spacing very good. And no slits in adbv because it's properly designed, not resting on inlet holes. (Too bad Puro doesn't follow with all applications.) Have a Bosch Prem. 3323 here waiting to post and the topic filter now has the same number of pleats, 52. If they are not identical, very close.

Looks good. Thanks for c&p
You're welcome.

Looks like the P1 filter media has been upgraded from the plain cellulose that tore. Hopefully this has fixed the tearing issues.

Looks like the P1 filter media has been upgraded from the plain cellulose that tore. Hopefully this has fixed the tearing issues.
Can't really tell if the media has been changed just by the way oil soaked media looks. Most of what keeps the media from tearing is pleats that are not spaced super wide open. The pleat spacing looks good here, and if Purolator and others manufactured filters with decent pleat spacing you wouldn't see any torn media on any filter used in a normal OCI.

Thanks for the C&P. My favorite photos for any Oil filter dissection is the inside of the bottom of the can. How much crud the filter was trapping.

I rarely if ever a include shot of bottom of can as I rarely if ever find anything significant to show, ie., no/very low residue of note. And I always drain the filter by opening a couple inlet holes and letting it sit in funnel for awhile before cutting open. Also, I'd say the vehicles I work on well maintained, both likely reasons nothing of note to see.

As for topic, though I quit using Puro made filters switching to Napa Gold during the tear spate posted here, I never had a media tear in any 14610 series filter. And I used many. Agree that biggest issue I saw posted was poor spacing, too wide around seam pleat. Since wading back in with Bosch Prem. 3323, PL14612 and 14610, like topic, spacing has been good. Thus no tears.

Last edited:
Can't really tell if the media has been changed just by the way oil soaked media looks. Most of what keeps the media from tearing is pleats that are not spaced super wide open. The pleat spacing looks good here, and if Purolator and others manufactured filters with decent pleat spacing you wouldn't see any torn media on any filter used in a normal OCI.

The Media for the 15k P1 certainly looks different from the previous 10k P1 filters, used or unused. It has more of the synthetic/spin glass looking blend (similar like the previous fram ultra) than the previous cellulose blended media.

I agree with most of what you have stated. Spacing and brittle/weak media both contribute to tearing. If you had stronger media, it could help with the spacing disparities and tearing. If you had better spacing, media strength wouldn’t be as big of a concern. It can go either way. However the filter should be designed in such a way you shouldn’t have to worry about either.

Last edited:
^^^ True that media strength and flexibility is also a factor. We've seen some Fram EGs with gigantic pleat spaces and contorted pleats from the oil flow, but no tears in the media. If it would have been weak brittle media it would have torn easily.

The Media for the 15k P1 certainly looks different from the previous 10k P1 filters, used or unused. It has more of the synthetic/spin glass looking blend (similar like the previous fram ultra) than the previous cellulose blended media.

I agree with most of what you have stated. Spacing and brittle/weak media both contribute to tearing. If you had stronger media, it could help with the spacing disparities and tearing. If you had better spacing, media strength wouldn’t be as big of a concern. It can go either way. However the filter should be designed in such a way you shouldn’t have to worry about either.

Great observation volk06...

I think this 14610 15k filter media looks rather similar to the Wix Gold filter media.

The new 1410 Purolator 15k mile Pureone and the Wix/Napa Gold 7356

Attachments

• full-23702-39923-p1020170.jpg
    full-23702-39923-p1020170.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P1020276.JPG
    P1020276.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 37
They do look very similar. Isn’t the gold’s efficiency worse than the P1 99% at 20 microns?

True...

However I don't think 99 vs 95 percent at 20 microns is a big deal.

The Wix filters claimed 99 percent at 23 minrons.

Based upon those pictures... I'd bet old Wix filter media is now in the Pureone filters. And... There may be a change to the 99 percent at what micron size coming to the Pureone filters.

True...

However I don't think 99 vs 95 percent at 20 microns is a big deal.

The Wix filters claimed 99 percent at 23 minrons.

Based upon those pictures... I'd bet old Wix filter media is now in the Pureone filters. And... There may be a change to the 99 percent at what micron size coming to the Pureone filters.
I sure hope not. 99% at 20 microns gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Dunno know man....

Those pictures look a whole lotta like each other.

I believe 95 percent at 20 microns and 50 percent at 6 microns is fairly good.

10-20 microns typically cause the most wear in a motor.

Now... The air filter needs to be 99 percent plus in my opinion. The STP premium air filters are 98 percent but... They use the fine dust testing for that result. Which is a far tougher test vs coarse dust testing. That is a great air filter. Only air filter I see saying that it uses fine dust testing. Almost all others say 99 percent but no mention of what size dust testing was used.

The Fram ultra air filter was reported to have used fine dust testing too... That would be another good option too.

I believe 95 percent at 20 microns and 50 percent at 6 microns is fairly good.

10-20 microns typically cause the most wear in a motor.
That's why a very efficient filter like the Ultra that's around 80% @ 5u seems like a good way to go if anyone is concerned about wear from particulate in the oil.

Yes, the Fram Ultra air filter specs are based on the ISO fine test dust, per Fram customer support ... I mentioned my on-line chat with them in the past where they told me that.

Back