Napa Platinum 47356 cut open, 5400mi

This one run 8 months 2.5L Rogue, with RGT 5w20. Made 1/2019. Same oil with P1 PL14610 found on promo on Amazon, went back. Tried this Platinum on sale, ~$5, vehicle I help maintain. Appearance alone, seems a quality Wix made filter.

P1020236.JPGP1020246.JPGP1020239.JPGP1020238.JPG

Which puts it right between the price of the Tough Guard and the Ultra and their regular everyday Walmart price!

not for cartridge filters :sneaky:

The XG10246 is $14.47 at Walmart
The TG10246 is $11.94

Cartridge filters are usually priced higher than the spin-on type. Even at Napa, the regular price of the cartridge filter is more than for a spin-on, but when they're on sale, Napa puts them at the same price.

The TG10246 is $11.94

Cartridge filters are usually priced higher than the spin-on type. Even at Napa, the regular price of the cartridge filter is more than for a spin-on, but when they're on sale, Napa puts them at the same price.
I'm only interested in spin on filters I wouldn't own a car with a Cartridge. Beside isn't the filter in question a spin on in the opts first post in this thread?

The TG10246 is $11.94

I never understood why the cartridge filters are more expensive when they have less material.

I never understood why the cartridge filters are more expensive when they have less material.
I'd say the answer generally has to do with "economies of scale". There's significantly more spin on/canister filters produced so significantly lower cost per unit.

While I normally use the NG7356, always been satisfied and will continue, I thought for $5 Plat. worth a try specifically for vehicle in OP.

Last edited:
Is the micron rating still a mystery?
It's still "Proprietary" per WIX. 😄

But you can see the tested efficiency here - the WIX XP and NAPA Platinum are the same filters:

~63% @ 20u

Generally cartridge filter elements are cosmetically better built. No excess glue, uniform pleats without gaps, etc. ya know made the way they should be made regardless of if they are hidden inside a can or not. This is my guess why they cost more. More time spent on the details.

Back