Nissan 15208-65FOE Adbv Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter a dealer installed Gonher made oem off a Rogue. It was on ~4700 miles, ~6months. Had a wide pleat at seam pleat, but no tear(s). Biggest issue as topic noted, the adbv. Prior to opening the can I had noticed the Rogue had a start up rattle and very little if any oil came out of inlet holes when I opened a couple to further drain the filter. I didn't think much of the rattle as 2.5L ime not the quietest. I did think it a little odd no extra oil drain as I generally get a fair amount to drain. With new filter installed, no start up rattle. Replaced with 5qts AAP close out Idemitsu 0w20 and PL14612, less than $7 all in.

First few pics show how I found the adbv when the can was opened. It was convex to baseplate, same as another recent Nissan filter posted here. I first thought the adbv had been installed upside down until I saw how easily the adbv popped into the correct concave to baseplate shape. So, I suspect sometime after assembly the oil pressure on adbv is pushing the adbv down the outlet flange, making the adbv useless. Even though there's an adbv collar, the flat compression spring seems to have just enough pressure to hold the internals in place. It also means that there's a potential area of bypass where the uncovered outlet flange meets the baseplate. Found another topic Nissan posted here, same issue.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This pic shows how adbv should look in proper form.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

^^^^^Indeed. As I said, at first glance I thought it installed upside down. Then as noted, touched it to remove and it popped to correct shape. Of course, it would have to be moved to end of outlet flange with adbv collar over it to be in correct position. And, you can see the two other linked Nissan Gohner filters, the same way when opened. I suppose it could be happening in assembly, but I think my speculation more likely.

A "clicker ADBV" that only "clicks" on time and stays there ... not good, a design flaw for sure. Wonder if Nissan would care to know. Thanks for the C&P Sayjac.

On WIX / NAPA Gold, the ADBV has standoffs which limit the travel of the ADBV so this can not happen. Motor Craft and Fram do the same thing.

Thanks for the well done C&P .

If you look at the last two pics in OP, you can see the adbv collar that's supposed mount and seal the outlet area. The adbv was/is very flexible and kinda thin, I really think the main issue is the flat compression spring doesn't keep enough pressure on the collar area. That and perhaps the indented collar area could be a little thicker.

The just posted Napa Gold 7356 collar area isn't that much different, however it uses a coil compression spring that really exerts pressure on the element, internals. So much so that when you cut one open, the internals just about pop out of the can. With topic filter, at can cut the baseplate side and dome side basically rest on each other after cut. Perhaps tomorrow I'll post a pic of the difference between the two filters side by side.

As noted though, while rattle is annoying perhaps bigger deal is oil bypass in the outlet flange end, baseplate area. Seeing three similar Gonher Nissan AFs now, I think there's a design issue.

You're all welcome.

Thanks for excellent pictures and description. It may be good to send the pics to Nissan for their information. Maybe the material is too soft and the end cap neck pushes through the sealing area. But the chance of bypass due to defect is as bad as no adbv. Looks like the maker didn't test all the functions well.

Design issue on the Gonher filter. I have a virgin Gonher 15208-65F0E that I had cut open. I can easily move the ADBV into the open position that is shown by the OP. I also have a virgin ST4386 that I have cut open. The ADBV on the Supertech will not move into the open position as shown on the Gonher. Another reason that Supertech filters are now my filters of choice. I also looked at a couple of Fram filters and a Toyota filter. The Nissan Gonher filter is the only one that the ADBV will move to and stay in the open position.

Some extra pics further explaining the issue. First pic shows adbv in proper position, when adbv pushed down like as would happen with oil pressure through inlet holes. As long as it stays up on top outlet flange, adbv closes, goes back to proper non operation position. So no problem there. Issue happens when adbv moves past flange end even the smallest amount, then adbv can flip either way(pics 2&3). With oil pressure, the rest position then becomes the last one shown.

As for telling Nissan, have a feeling they and/or Gonher would say that I caused it by opening the can. Frankly, if I saw the Rogue regularly this would not be a concern as I wouldn't use topic filter. Ironically, I advised daughter to go to dealer thinking that best and safest choice, even though a bit more expensive. Oem parts, filter here, are supposed to provide an added level of confidence too. In this case, not so much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

^^^ Bad design that allows the ADBV to slip over the raised collar on the end cap. Never seen such a large raised collar that simply pinches the ADBV around the center tube hole.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Bad design that allows the ADBV to slip over the raised collar on the end cap...
Agreed. And, once that happens the bigger issue imo is then the silicone seal between unfiltered and filtered oil at the flange end is gone. How much bypass, who knows but shouldn't have to think about it especially with oem. Had I not seen it up close combined with the resulting factors( start up rattle, no inlet hole oil drain) I would have thought nothing wrong with the other two Nissan Gonher filters linked in the OP. Imo, safe to say there's many folks that get dealer service running these filters with the same issue/results.

That's why it would be a good deed to show Nissan, and they also know it came from their parts supply so no question their vendor has a defect.They are installing on under warranty cars so hopefully they would care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back