Nissan OEM 15208 9E000 filter pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSV

Hello my name is Greg and I'm addicted to cutting up oil filters.....

-

This is the Nissan 15208 9E000 next to a Purolator 14610 and a bottle of GC for size comparison. Both filters are suitable for the KA24DE engine as well as other Nissan motors. Notice the plastic wrap around the unbutchered Nissan filter. FWIW the Nissan shell seemed unusually hard as I needed more than 1 dremel cutting disk to open it.
 -

Both the Nissan and Purolator have good overall build quality. I was expecting to see a string wrapped around the Purolator as mentioned in some filter reports on the Net. Notice how densely packed the media is on the Purolator.
 -

Here is a shot comparing components. Again, both are nicely made. Silicon ADBV on the Nissan. Both ADBVs are well shaped and look like they would seal well against the baseplate.
 -

The Nissan filter (left)looks like it would flow particularly well.
 -

Bypass valves, both are interesting designs.

I have never used either filter. The Nissan filter is made in Japan and cost $5.83. The Purolator was less than 3 dollars. I use the oversized Wix 1344 (or Napa Gold equiv) but found both of these to look like decent products.

I'm going to cool it on cutting up brand new filters for a while but I hope the pictures have been usefull for the board.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
Hello my name is Greg and I'm addicted to cutting up oil filters.....

The first step to RECOVERY is to admit you have a problem. Now, what OTHER oil related probelms do you have? And remember Honesty IS the best policy!

BTW nice PICS... Next time you get the urge, do some Toyota v. Lexus okay?

My name is Chuck and I understand too.
lol.gif
My problem with the 9E000 is that Nissan puts filter media of only average efficiency in one of the best-built filters you'll find anywhere.
frown.gif

GITW gave me the idea for this shot.
 -

The Nissan {left} has thicker media with fewer pleats. Check out the holes in the center tubes.

Al the shells are almost identical in thickness.
 -

-

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Oh yeah. Almost forgot, the other problem I have with Nissan is the parts guys at my nincompoop local Nissan dealer charge a different price for the same filter every different time you buy one. On Monday George will sell it to me for $5.83 like you get Gregg. On Tuesday Billy Bob wants $6.95. And on Wednesday Big Boss parts manager only sells it for $5.83 if I buy a case of 6, otherwise its $7.50 each.

They pull the same number on me for filters, antifreeze, you name it. Any part they sell. Thieves!
nono.gif

So I've resorted to buying K&N on line for just a couple of bucks more. No shipping. No sales tax. No inconsiderate Nissan boobs. Just great customer service.
smile.gif

GSV nice RCBS caliper. Noticed the pistol brass in the blue box in the background as well!! Nice to see their are a few reloaders on the site!!

GSV: These are great pic's -- thanks!!! I just bought some PureOne's, so your post got my attention. I had several observations:

1. I assume the PureOnes might be even more packed than the Premium Plus shown, but I'm of the opinion that there's still plenty of room for oil to access those pleats. When you think about it, there's actually wasted opportunity with the Nissan pleats, or most filters for that matter...

2. No more stupid assembly string? Cool! Who needs the thing cutting into the pleats?

3. A 0.019" thick Purolator shell? Cool! In the old Mini-Mopar study they were 0.011", while Mobil 1 was 0.022". Looks like lil' Puro's been workin' out!

4. If you want a really good laugh (or scare), compare the number and size of the Nissan center tube's inlet holes to the tube from any Fram. Night-and-day. The Purolator tube is typical of most; the Nissan's a veritable flow machine but is vulnerable to crushing (worst case scenario) unless it's thick steel -- there's no knurling.

5. The bypass valve plunger for the Nissan (the black, dime-sized dot) looks about standard sized. I can't really make out how the Puro bypass valve is constructed or how it works. Please tell me that little silver dot isn't the plunger! I'm really curious as to how it opens, what components move, and how big the plunger/hole is. Thanks for the nudie photos!

[ November 20, 2003, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: TC ]

Hello Greg (as said in the obligatory group response from any addiction session
smile.gif
)

My name is Mike (all together now-hello Mike) and I'm an oil nut too!

I cut apart a 9E000 awhile back and was equally impressed. Still gonna give a Baldwin (not Alec or any of the other pretty boy kind
grin.gif
) a try and see what happens to my insoluble #s.

Robbie-Have no fear, I'm in the process of cutting open 3 of the Toyota filters I discussed on my other post, a 02011, YZZD1, and the YZZB5. When I get pics I'll post and we can compare them to the 20004.

JohnB-add me to the list of reloaders, love my Dillon!

JohnBrowning and shortyb,

Yeah, I'm a reloader.
grin.gif
A bullet caster too for the big revolvers (41 & 44 mag + 45 Colt) and the big bore lever guns 45-70 etc.. The tin cans are full of hardcast bullets, I make my own bullet lube too. Winter is casting season, spring is loading season.

I have a Dillon 650XL and a Lyman single stage press. Calibers loaded are .30-06 for most things, .338 Winmag for Elk (the worlds finest big game critter IMHO), the aforementioned calibers plus .308 for the Fulton M1A NM and .45 acp. I used to compete in high power service rifle plus UDPA and steel plate/bowling pin tourneys with the .45 1911s but I have far less time these days.

I need to go blast something this weekend!

take care,
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

GSV...

Does the Nissan filter fit Honda's. You mentioned using a Wix/Napa Gold 1344. I to use that filter (1344) on my Honda's, but the Nissan LOOKS well built.

Just curious...

...And nice pix

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
GSV: These are great pic's -- thanks!!! I just bought some PureOne's, so your post got my attention. I had several observations:
3. A 0.019" thick Purolator shell? Cool! In the old Mini-Mopar study they were 0.011", while Mobil 1 was 0.022". Looks like lil' Puro's been workin' out!

Yes great pics. I have real difficulty believing that thickness. I used a ball micrometer to discount the curvature of the case and also keep away from the end. I guess I'll need to buy one today and cut it up
rolleyes.gif

K&N's were .019" the Mobil 1 was about the same. The other Champions rang in at about .014" and the Purolatirs were .009"

Does anybody know how that Purolator bypass valve works? Looks like somebody accidentally stuck one of those old LP record hole inserts into that filter.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
GSV nice RCBS caliper. Noticed the pistol brass in the blue box in the background as well!! Nice to see their are a few reloaders on the site!!

JB and anyone else interested - I started a thread in the Off Topic forum to see how many shooters and reloaders we have here...

geeeman,
If the 1344 fits your Honda I would assume the Nissan filter would as well. I have one 15208 9E000 and I'll probably use it when I run some Group III oil this spring/summer.

Frankly, it seems to be a very well made filter but for nearly 6 dollars I'll stick with the bigger (and also well made) Wix 1344.

TC,
That funny looking spring is rivited to the center of the grey disk. When the filter goes into bypass mode the disc is driven down towards the filter base. Some Toyota OEM filters use a similar spring and bypass valve.

Regarding the thickness of the shell I'd suspect the distorted metal near the cut may have bumped the numbers up. Neither case feels anywhere near as stiff as an M1 or K&N but as I mentioned the Nissan shell was very hard. I burned out a brand new dremel cutting disk and I only went 75% around the shell. I can cut a fat Wix 1344 open with one disc. Maybe they heat treat the shell?
dunno.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back