Autopilot and Self-Driving cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motor Magazine editor's report in the September issue mentions these:

First auto pilot aftermarket add-on device in the US?

http://www.getcruise.com/

Insurance Information Institute: Self-Driving Cars and Insurance - August 2014 update

http://www.iii.org/issue-update/self-driving-cars-and-insurance

several predictions about technology adaption included in that piece. some talk about insurance and manufacturers.

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=2235

I enjoy driving, as I suspect that most of you do too...

Yes. I'm not looking forward to driverless cars. The news stories are probably already written about how a driverless car went out of control and crashed, so the occupants of said car are going to sue the manufacturer.

But I already share the road with cars that are all but driverless, considering the other "drivers" are yakking on a cell phone, or texting.

If you don't want to drive, do the rest of us a favor and ride the bus, or carpool.

Last edited:
I do not believe all driverless cars will start as driverless cars.

They will likely start as advanced cruise control that let you "tag" along the car in front of you, and use both wireless communication and sensors to detect any other cars or road condition around you. That way, you can outsource your driving to the 1st car in the chu chu train.

Only when all cars on the roads are driverless or has aftermarket wireless beacon that tells other driverless car "I'm here, don't crash into me", will these cars start becoming truely autopilot.

That'll likely take another 20-30 years IMO.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
They will likely start as advanced cruise control that let you "tag" along the car in front of you, and use both wireless communication and sensors to detect any other cars or road condition around you. That way, you can outsource your driving to the 1st car in the chu chu train.

We're getting there. Adaptive cruise control uses this concept, where it seeks to establish and maintain a relative following distance from the vehicle ahead. My parents' 2014 MDX has this and it's interesting to see in the graphical display between the speedometer and tachometer when the outline of the car cartoon lights up (to let you know that it's "acquired" the vehicle in front of you). You can toy with it and slow down and change lanes and see when it's "lost" the vehicle ahead. It's got some rather intelligent programming where you can merge in behind a faster-moving car, with not nearly as much following distance as you've set in the system, but it won't slam on the brakes if it recognizes that the other car is moving much faster and it'll achieve that set distance in a short period of time.

It also has lane keep assist, which means that it'll actually STEER the car to maintain the lane. It has limits. (And the system is actually quite annoying, so it's usually turned off, but it demonstrates the concept.) You can drive completely hands-off. It'll steer you down the road maintaining the vehicle in the "center" of the lane within a tolerance. It allows the car to wander within the lane boundaries to the degree that you naturally would if you're piloting it yourself. And if your hands have been off the steering wheel for more than 5 or 8 seconds or something, it'll beep at you, alerting you to provide steering input. All that really requires is that you touch the wheel and then let go again. If you get too close to a lane marker (and force it over), or if you don't provide steering input when it asks you to, it'll give up and the system will disengage. I think there's a potential issue here: it doesn't give you a warning that it's actually disengaging. Even as attentive as I am, and certainly as attentive as I was while playing around with it, I sometimes didn't realize that it had given up on me until it started to wander too far to one side (and I then figured out that it wasn't doing anything).

Driverless cars are not something I look forward to. What we have now is fun to play with, but it's a novelty to me. Adaptive cruise seems to be nice, but I don't care for the adaptive steering at all. These two features are really only relevant on the interstate. We have a lot of "progress" to make, still, if we're going to go completely to droids in urban environments.

So if all the cars become self driving, what of motorcycles? Will they be banned from the roads since they require a biologic with a brain and skills to operate them? Sooooo dangerous. Can't have that. Must. Protect us. From. Ourselves.

A world of fully automated transport, people hauled around like cattle by carbots and planebots.

If I'm still alive by then maybe I'll be an insurgent. Just blow up automated stuff though, no harm to biologics. Property damage only.

What you guys describe sounds to me like the engineers are designing these systems to mimic what drivers already do in highways. Surely we have all been part of or lead packs of cars on the highway... Everyone kind of hangs together with the lead car basically acting as the lookout for the fuzz.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I do not believe all driverless cars will start as driverless cars.

Only when all cars on the roads are driverless or has aftermarket wireless beacon that tells other driverless car "I'm here, don't crash into me", will these cars start becoming truely autopilot.

That'll likely take another 20-30 years IMO.
Or less...
Although you did say *all* cars...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: babbittd
Surely we have all been part of or lead packs of cars on the highway... Everyone kind of hangs together with the lead car basically acting as the lookout for the fuzz.

This is exactly what leads to multi-car crashes, and it's why I get incredibly antsy running in a pack of any size.

The new S class already is self driving, the S class always leads in automotive technology, look to see its technology filter down to regular cars in the next 10 years.

Cars have more sensors than people.

The S class also monitors the driver, so its not to far away from say taking control and bringing the car to the side of the road if the driver passes out or has a heart attack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: babbittd
Surely we have all been part of or lead packs of cars on the highway... Everyone kind of hangs together with the lead car basically acting as the lookout for the fuzz.

This is exactly what leads to multi-car crashes, and it's why I get incredibly antsy running in a pack of any size.

Good advice, run your own race.

No one of any real intelligence wants to run closely at higher speeds with someone they do not know...

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I want NO parts of this technology.

It would be nice to be able to refuse it, but even the PU trucks I am looking at have lane departure warnings, blind spot warnings, collision avoidance systems, etc.

No real driver wants any of this carp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back