Self Driving Semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
New jobs will be created that don't even exist today. Who will make and design all this new tech? As far as GDP is concerned trading off trucker jobs for high end tech jobs is a major win.

Yep, because everyone is born a rocket scientist, and only goes into a profession because there's not enough "room at the top".

This tech will help create jobs for Lawyers, as the distinction of who is actually driving the vehicle (and therefore is responsible for the fatalities) has yet to be explored.

BTW, GDP doesn't necessarily reflect the conditions of the "average" citizen.

^^^Amen, bro. I'm lucky that someone like me can be strongly in the middle class. Trucking is about all I know, and I'm 56 years old. Not enough decent paying jobs to go around. This "service economy" isn't working for a lot of people.

I know it sounds cold. I don't want people to lose jobs. But this is the way of the world. At some point telegraph operators had to hang it up, too. But tech is one of our best money makers/exports. Even our manufacturing is starting to come back thanks to fact we have the best automation tech in world. And not everyone has to be a coder. There will probably be more trucks than ever on the road thanks to self-driving tech driving down fuel and insurance costs. That means we'll need more mechanics, technicians, maintenance people, etc.

The problem is that manufacturing is leaving the country for low wages, but the end product costs just as much. A good example it the new Chevy Silverado, which only has a 45% domestic content yet it is more expensive than ever. The consumer saves little or nothing. The jobs could be here, but trade deals are written against the interests of our country and Americans in general. There should and could be full employment here.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The problem is that manufacturing is leaving the country for low wages, but the end product costs just as much. A good example it the new Chevy Silverado, which only has a 45% domestic content yet it is more expensive than ever. The consumer saves little or nothing. The jobs could be here, but trade deals are written against the interests of our country and Americans in general. There should and could be full employment here.

Exactly. The corporations are saving big bucks with cheap labor, but the costs to the consumer haven't reflected this. I'm sure some things are indeed cheaper for the consumer than in the past, but not in a big way. There is a reason all the CEOs have helipads on their yachts. The jobs haven't moved overseas just because the wages are lower, but also the other aspects of employment. No healthcare, labor laws, etc. Why do you think they had to install suicide nets around the Apple factories in China? Because there are laws here preventing employers from doing what they are over there. Not to mention the environmental factors. Here in the US it is extremely expensive to get rid of the waste associated with manufacturing. Go to China and it looks like a wasteland in some areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back