Automotive oil fast facts guide

Each subject matter (in the left column) has some "fast facts" about it ... think that was the goal.

thanks! a great source of info, got to pg 20 + saved to finish later. one thing i never seen anywhere but machinery lubrication is how every 10C doubles oil degradation, + looking to see how drastically non real synthetics thicken compared to real man made synthetics also seen on machinery lubrication.com. its amazing the things i always remember compared to my forgetfulness of things i care little about at 74 YO's

Engine oils have a relatively short shelf life, due to the complex additive pack. The specification sheet
will usually state an acceptable use time, which tends to be in the region of 2 years.
(see Additives entry)

I don't think that statement is true. We have numerous used oil samples taken out of engine sumps that were 5, 10, 15, 20 yrs
old and the numbers were usually good. Same goes for a VOA on a new/not used old bottle of oil. Shake up the bottle to
remix the chemicals, add to your engine.

Engine oils have a relatively short shelf life, due to the complex additive pack. The specification sheet
will usually state an acceptable use time, which tends to be in the region of 2 years.
(see Additives entry)

I don't think that statement is true. We have numerous used oil samples taken out of engine sumps that were 5, 10, 15, 20 yrs
old and the numbers were usually good. Same goes for a VOA on a new/not used old bottle of oil. Shake up the bottle to
No idea for other flavors, but for Castrol, Shell, P66 and Chevron it's 5 years. 3 years for grease.

Shaking doesn't mix it. It's separated chemically.

(see Additives entry)

First, shaking the bottles only puts those additives back in suspension if they have precipitated out.

If the additives have broken down, shaking the bottle doesn’t accomplish much.

If the chemical compounds themselves have broken down, then a UOA will not show that.

The elemental analysis of a spectrograph will only show the presence of the component elements of those “chemicals” - not their arrangement. Not their performance. Not whether or not they still work.

So, as an example, a particular additive contains calcium, and it breaks down chemically over time.

The spectrographic UOA still shows exactly the same PPM of calcium, even though that additive no longer exists in the oil, only the broken down remnants of it exist.

So, I don’t think you can read anything more into your UOA than viscosity stability.

Performance may be severely degraded, but your UOA will not show that.

First, shaking the bottles only puts those additives back in suspension if they have precipitated out.

If the additives have broken down, shaking the bottle doesn’t accomplish much.

If the chemical compounds themselves have broken down, then a UOA will not show that.

The elemental analysis of a spectrograph will only show the presence of the component elements of those “chemicals” - not their arrangement. Not their performance. Not whether or not they still work.

So, as an example, a particular additive contains calcium, and it breaks down chemically over time.

The spectrographic UOA still shows exactly the same PPM of calcium, even though that additive no longer exists in the oil, only the broken down remnants of it exist.

So, I don’t think you can read anything more into your UOA than viscosity stability.

Performance may be severely degraded, but your UOA will not show that.
Finally, A voice of reason. Some prominent members would have us believe we could use 40 year old oil & all that's needed is a quick shake! LOL I'd never use oil that old or even remotely close to it.

Back