Automatic Transmission Fluid Blend question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if automatic transmission fluid comes in a blend like engine oil. I've seen conventional and synthetic ATF but never a blend.

Is there a reason for this? Or does it exist but I've just never seen it?!

Is it alright to blend your own transmission fluid (ie: 4 parts conventional plus 4 parts synthetic) provided they both meet the specification for the car?

Thanks everyone

Like an engine, are there things to look out for with a transmission that might indicate it isn't suitable for a switch to synthetic?

If you have conventional in your tranny now, you're blending it by putting in fill syn. Unless you drain or flush the pan and torque converter together
wink.gif

Mobil 1 is synthetic and is great. Red Line is synthetic and is better than M1.

Just changed my manual transmission fluid with Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90. Even thou the manual states 75w80, I thought 75w80 being so close might as well be straight weight, and went with Mobil 75w90. Went with M1 since I had those $5 off coupons at O'Reilly Give-a-away and bought them back in July, instead of paying full price for Redline.

M1 75w-90 LS is not the lube to use in a manual trans with synchronizers. The Redline is the one to use for better shifting and longer syncro life.

Yes, there are syn blend auto tranny fluids. Ususlly, the fluids that meet Mercon V are at least a blend, and the Multi Vehicle ones are at least blends.

GM's Dex VI is also a blend, although the aftermarket fluids that meet the spec are typically full syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back