Automatic oil change system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article in SAE's November "Automotive Engineering" issue to be interesting. I currently do not have web space to host images that come with it.

quote:

Specialized Enterprises (SEI) has developed an automated fluid exchange system that dramatically reduces the time required for oil changes. "Our system is the fastest oil change available," said David
McKin, SEI President, as he accepted the 2005 Kruesi Award at the Spirit of Innovation luncheon held in Chattanooga, TN, in July, presented this year by Ford Chairman and CEO Bill Ford.
Every year in Chattanooga, the award is given to recognize area businesses that exemplify an innovative spirit. It is named for the local family whose Swiss ancestor, John Kruesi, came to America to work with Thomas Edison. Kruesi made the first phonograph in 1877 and was the principal mechanic on many other patented innovations including the incandescent light bulb.

The SEI technology requires that a patented quick-connect fitting replaces the original oil drain plug, and once installed, it never needs to be removed for service with the automated system. The fitting is backed by a warranty against leakage for the lifetime of the engine. A standard wrench or socket can remove the fitting if a manual drain is the only option.
Used oil is evacuated via a vacuum pump, and fresh oil is injected back through the same connection. The closed-loop system virtually eliminates oil spills, reducing potential accidents and environmental problems. The process is clean and automated, and accomplished without the technician handling used or fresh oil. An optional oil sampler can extract 2 to 4 oz (0.06 to 0.12 L) of used oil after about 10 s of the evacuation process.
Speed is the other main benefit. Changing the 44 qt (41.6 L) of oil in typical truck class 8 diesel engines can be done in less than 5 min, while a 4-qt (3.8L) oil change on a typical passenger vehicle can be done in less than 1 min.
Two basic versions of the oil change machine are available: a permanently mounted shop unit for service areas and a mobile unit that can be mounted in a vehicle. Service speed can also be enhanced with the optional Service Pal wireless data collection device, which allows paperless service records to be collected and maintained.
A three-grade unit has been installed at the TA Travel Center south of Atlanta, GA, and it has generated a lot of interest in the process. In August, Capital Toyota in Chattanooga installed a system in its service department. Initial experience has been sufficient for the dealership to order a second system for Lexus of Chattanooga.

Their plug looks very much like FRAM's SureDrain, but it serves slightly different purpose. The machine is just a big cabinet with hoses...
The concept is interesting indeed. But think about all the cases when technicians forget to change the oil filters... Because the process is so quick and straightforward now.

Sounds complicated. Now a shop needs to lay out capital and increased shop maintenance so oil changes can go a few minutes quicker? I hate to think that time has become so valuable as to stoop to these measures. As if quickie lube workers aren't rush as it is.

I suppose the trucking industry sees a need for this. Does the automotive service industry reaaly need this?

I can see more problems with this technique. What if something goes wrong and for whatever reason (blockage, valving problems) the oil isn't changed? I like to SEE the old oil go out and new oil go in. Plus the get-every-last-drop folk would shudder at this technique.

Yeah, this concept appeals probably more to high-volume heavy truck shops. I wonder how long it takes to change the oil in 18-wheeler. What is it, 5 minutes vs half an hour? Then it probably makes sense.
Although some efficiency (read profit margin) obsessed quickie lube operators might consider that as well. Imagine the "touchless oil change" signs, would that not attract some people?
And again, I see the technician under an increased temptation to leave the old filter on to save some time.

Great if your hood latch ever fails.
grin.gif

I think the "every last drop" people could be appeased by clever marketing, eg "we suck every last drop out of every last corner".

Could you imagine if it measured what came out and automatically put the same amount in? Idiots who come in a quart low would leave with that same quart low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back