Auto RX questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hi fellow Bitgoers,

I just ordered two bottles of Auto RX. I was searching both here and on the Auto RX website. I have a 98 Toyota Sienna with some mild sludge around the edges of the valve cover and some varnish. See the photo album link for details.

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/charkinson/library/98 Sienna Under the valve cover

Following the OCD of most loyal Bitogers, I want some feedback of what I should do in an effort to best remove most of this crud.

Option 1 - Should I run one bottle for the first phase, do the rinse for the second phase and then use the second bottle after the rinse phase.

Option 2 - should I just use two bottles for the first phase.

I know it seems kind of dumb, but on the Auto rx website, the instructions don't say replace one quart of oil with one quart of auto rx at your next oil change. I'm assuming that I would be replacing equal parts oil/auto rx with the total of oil volume required which is 5 litres.

One final question, for the rinse phase should I use dino or can I swap back over to synthetic? I normally use full synthetic during the winter months, since I'm up in Canada.

Current Oil fill is Mobil Super 5000 5w-30.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
Try the search function. This subject is among the most covered subjects ever in this forum.
Don't expect any real info from the auto RX site. Its edited for content and only positive posts make the cut.

Oh yeah......
18.gif
coffee2.gif
coffee2.gif
coffee2.gif
35.gif
36.gif

Clevy,

I did try the search function, but the pages were buried pretty deep. I think when you type "auto rx" you hit 50% of the posts with the word "auto" in them.

I'm going to try it for myself and see what all the hoopla is about!

Thanks, JC.

I just went to the pics on your link.
What exactly are you trying to clean. I see some varnish however nothing that should affect the running condition of the engine.
I would just use a hm oil and forget about it. Or some m1 or pp. stay with a synthetic til the engine is varnish free and call er done.
Or even an mmo run or 2. Its cheaper and works.
Please take pics of your results

Clevy,

Thanks for the feedback. The engine runs well and doesn't burn any oil. I guess I'm just a little obsessed with that look of engines treated by M1 and PP.

I will give it a try anyways and see what happens with it. I will post pics after the first treatment.

Regards, JC.

Go ahead and use the Auto RX since you have already purchased it. But it looks like nothing PP wouldn't have cleaned up with a few short OCI.

Use one bottle of Auto-Rx with Pennzoil Platinum for your normal OCI.
Then run PP for your normal OCI as rinse.
Repeat.
This will provide all the benefits that Auto-Rx has to offer for your vehicle.

You can run a group III syn oil for clean and rinse cycles. It is a good product. Just run it per the RX instructions. I have done that and it works well.
I've been doing the maintenance dose for years.

You probably know that Arx is a contentious product here.

I look forward to seeing pics of your results.

Is there still a money back guarantee on the product?

2 bottles RxP, ester free oil (check), clean filter, and run at least 6,000 miles or better 8,000 miles. If the engine runs cold FIX IT! Take a compression test before and after.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat

No supposedly people were committing fraud by not sending back the product for a refund.
Originally Posted By: Quote from ARX
We have had purchasers who bought and used 4 bottles of Auto-Rx than felt i should give him a refund after he used all 4 bottles and had no product to return.

This is exactly why i took down the guarantee this was a lot of the type of "Refund Requests" we get They have used all the product they bought have nothing to send back and we should except there word and give them a refund. Originally we honored that ( true)

than it became evident these people who wanted a return and had no product to return as they used it all were scam artists.

I guess you need to strain it out and rebottle it. They still keep pushing the 2 bottles are better than 1 so some guy bought 4 for two cars how can he send it back? Shady? Naw.
No surprise they had a lot of returns.
lol.gif

Edit: OP this product has been beaten to death just do a search over the last three of 4 years, you will get the whole story. Its not pretty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: expat

No supposedly people were committing fraud by not sending back the product for a refund.
Originally Posted By: Quote from ARX
We have had purchasers who bought and used 4 bottles of Auto-Rx than felt i should give him a refund after he used all 4 bottles and had no product to return.

This is exactly why i took down the guarantee this was a lot of the type of "Refund Requests" we get They have used all the product they bought have nothing to send back and we should except there word and give them a refund. Originally we honored that ( true)

than it became evident these people who wanted a return and had no product to return as they used it all were scam artists.

I guess you need to strain it out and rebottle it. They still keep pushing the 2 bottles are better than 1 so some guy bought 4 for two cars how can he send it back? Shady? Naw.
No surprise they had a lot of returns.
lol.gif

Edit: OP this product has been beaten to death just do a search over the last three of 4 years, you will get the whole story. Its not pretty.

K. Chief. Lemme get this straight.
Product has a guarantee that if the buyer is unsatisfied a refund will be awarded. Buyer uses product as directed in 2 vehicles,they are unsatisfied but no refund is given because there is no product to return.
You cannot be serious. What's he want? The used oil the stuff went into? The empty bottles?
If a consumer uses the product as directed which iirc is a full bottle,then regular oil for an interval,then another bottle. And after using as directed there is of course nothing left. A valve cover inspection shows no improvement so customer wants refund and this in some way makes the buyer a scammer?
Absolute insanity.
Awesome money back guarantee. Be sure to read the fine print I guess,and don't hold your breath for any refund so OP I hope the product works for you because if it doesn't apparently this money back guarantee isn't even worth the bandwidth it takes up.
Hilarious.

Unbelievable eh.
He said this..
Quote:
They have used all the product they bought have nothing to send back and we should except there word and give them a refund

So i guess he wants the product back.
I know someone edits these things out over there after its been posted but i capture a copy just so no one can say i/we never posted that..
13.gif

Originally Posted By: JC1
Hi fellow Bitgoers,

I just ordered two bottles of Auto RX. I was searching both here and on the Auto RX website. I have a 98 Toyota Sienna with some mild sludge around the edges of the valve cover and some varnish. See the photo album link for details.

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/charkinson/library/98 Sienna Under the valve cover

Following the OCD of most loyal Bitogers, I want some feedback of what I should do in an effort to best remove most of this crud.

Option 1 - Should I run one bottle for the first phase, do the rinse for the second phase and then use the second bottle after the rinse phase.

Option 2 - should I just use two bottles for the first phase.

I know it seems kind of dumb, but on the Auto rx website, the instructions don't say replace one quart of oil with one quart of auto rx at your next oil change. I'm assuming that I would be replacing equal parts oil/auto rx with the total of oil volume required which is 5 litres.

One final question, for the rinse phase should I use dino or can I swap back over to synthetic? I normally use full synthetic during the winter months, since I'm up in Canada.

Current Oil fill is Mobil Super 5000 5w-30.

Regards, JC.

IMO, I would do option 1.
Use non-synthetic for clean and rinse phase.
Just follow the instruction.

No, you don't need to replace the Oil with ARX.
Use regular amount of oil. ARX will mix in with the oil.

Yes, you can go back to Full Synthetic after the treatment.

Disclaimer: I don't get any kickback from ARX or any other entity.

I hope this help as supposed to criticizing your decision.

Thanks to all that replied. I won't worry about getting a refund.

I will try the one bottle cleaning first to see the results. I'm planning on using PYB 5W-30 and a Napa Gold filter.

I will be taking pictures with the valve cover removed before, mid way and at the end of the treatment phase as well as pictures during and after the rinse phase.

Regards, JC.

The one recommendation I might make is to find a conventional or group III oil that doesn't use moly. The AutoRX will likely prevent the Moly from laying down on metal like it was designed to do.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The one recommendation I might make is to find a conventional or group III oil that doesn't use moly. The AutoRX will likely prevent the Moly from laying down on metal like it was designed to do.

Please forgive my oil ignorance. Badtlc, Can you recommend a conventional or group III oil that doesn't use moly?

Regards, JC.

I wouldn't go out of the way to find one, but it might help. I think Valvoline conventional tends to be low in Moly.

I'm just guessing based on the fact that ARX's esters like to cling to metal surface areas which is exactly where Moly wants to get to. It may not be an issue. Redline uses esters and I think they also have high levels of Moly.

Thanks to all that replied. I won't worry about getting a refund.

I will try the one bottle cleaning first to see the results. I'm planning on using PYB 5W-30 and a Napa Gold filter.

I will be taking pictures with the valve cover removed before, mid way and at the end of the treatment phase as well as pictures during and after the rinse phase.

Regards, JC.

thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure we all look forward to your results.

Any idea how long it might take?

Do you have the 'New Improved' Arx or the old stuff?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Please forgive my oil ignorance. Badtlc, Can you recommend a conventional or group III oil that doesn't use moly?

Regards, JC.

Valvoline doesn't use much moly however wouldn't any anti-wear layer be prevented from adhering because "that's what it is supposed to do".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back