Auto-Rx and moly / zinc "plating"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, Moly and Zinc additives in motor oil "plate" surfaces with a super thin layer to add wear protection. Will Auto-Rx remove this plating, since it is a metal cleaner.

Anyone have any info here?

Molekule has addressed this ( can't find the post). From my observations in looking at 100's of reports of RX being used in moly added oils it isn't an issue.

Of course almost every oil has a ZDDP add pack so that eliminates any issues with it. It does clean residue of cheaper highly volatile add packs left behind.

Auto-RX is going to attack stuff that ain't supposed to be there, odd ball relatively lighter weight carbon deposits or scavange wear particles that are loosely trapped in or adhering to internals bonded by carbon ooze or corrupted and cooked polymer/dirt coatings.

Terry

every post about Auto-RX seems to praise it quite highly. Which is very impressive, and I don't doubt that it is a good product. But does it have any possible negative effects?
I've got an 87 Accord that doesn't have any real problems, no aparent oil leaks, doesn't burn oil, but it does have 140K miles on it. I'm almost convinced into getting some Auto-RX in hopes of cleaning the engine out, and maybe getting it to run a little smoother, but I wonder if anyone has ever experienced any negative effects from it? I mainly worry that removing buildup will create some new leaks that are being plugged by 15 years worth of crap.

The buildup you speak of is the build-up of sludge, especially around the seals.

Technical papers from industry show that the number one cause of seal leaks is sludge, because the sludge creates a polymer that burrows into the seal material and causes micro-cracks.

Better to clean the sludge ("crud") before more deteriation occurs and let ARX condition the seals to slow or stop leaks after cleaning.

Great thread both as far as content and the fact that it is in plain (understandable) English!

If someone told you they would SAFELY clean up some (or most) of the accumulated crud in your 100+K engine's lubrication system for $50 plus the cost of a few oil & filter changes WITHOUT having to take the motor apart, I would think many would jump at the chance.

If there was an effective $50 purge system that was guaranteed not to affect the gaskets & seals (or they would tear down & replace them) I think that it, too, would be warmly received.

I still can't see the downside of Auto-Rx (or Neutra) properly applied as it effectively does most of the above. One sticky lifter silenced, one elusive seal or gasket leak gone, one filter full of junk removed from my motor without having to wrench around or drop the pan (and the obligatory two or three trips to the auto parts store) is more than worth it to me.
bowdown.gif

At the worst you still should have a cleaner environment to work in if mechanical attention is warranted.

cheers.gif

So far the only negative to Auto-Rx is the $25, if you didn't really need it in the first place....so far I think I didn't really need it and $25 would buy me 5+ qts of Amsoil....but it is really early in my test.

I keep an open mind and I WILL cut the oil filters open at 1K miles to see what I see!

I need someone near with a nasty motor that needs cleaning...
grin.gif

acranox your engine sounds like my Mazda engine. No leaks etc. I have done 3 cleans with Auto-Rx and the engine is just better. There is a downside to Auto-RX and thats the two speeding tickets I collected in 3 days recently!!

I try to visualize it this way:

Recall the commercial with the large cleaning "scrubble" bubbles moving around the toilet bowl scrubbing everything?

Think of the Auto-RX as large cleaning scrubble bubbles grabbing large particles of carbon.
While the esters in Auto-RX have an affinity to metal surfaces, the affinity is greater for carbon globules of sludge. For the Moly and ZDDP, the sulfur ions have a greater affinity for the metal than do the ester polar molecules.

Bottom line, there is a low probability of Auto-Rx interferring with the adhesion of ZDDP or MoTDC. IE, ARX will not lift the ZDDP or MoTDC from the metal.

[ May 08, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

But the stuff is not a cure all. I recommended it to a friend with a '91 Camry that smoked badly each morning at startup. This is typically caused by leaky valve stem seals. AutoRx did nothing to solve the problem and he reports that the car does not run any differently than before. So he is now going to replace the seals and he is *issed at me for wasting his $50.

From what I understand of the chemistry, the product should do what it is indented to do. And it should be safer that most other solvent type cleaners if used as directed. But some engine problems are beyond chemical solutions.

Drstressor you hit the nail on the head; Auto-RX is an effective cleaner NOT a miracle cure for a mechanical problem. It won't replace material ( seal or metal) after being worn away.

If anyone that frequents this board thinks any pour in the crankcase product will fix mechanicals in an engine they need to read more.

MOST ALL MECHANICAL PROBLEMS ARE PAST CHEMICAL SOLUTIONS !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back