Auto Extra 61851358

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, hearing good things about Auto Extra filters on the net and that they are made by the same company that makes Wix. I bought a 51358 equivalent from a local parts store for my next oil change for the Nissan Rogue. Upon further inspection of the oil filter I noticed if you look through the hole there is glue at the bottom of the filter. Basically the whole bottom of the filter is covered in glue, except for the middle part that might of been stamped on afterwards. I didn't see this with my Purolator Classic filter that I used on my last oil change. Also, this filter is shorter than the Purolator Classic, but it's the one recommended for my application by Auto Extra. I didn't go with a longer one as it might void warranty.

So, is it normal to see glue like this at the bottom of the hole, is it something I should be worried about? Anyone else see this, knows what I'm talking about?

Can you get a photo of the glue? Typically, there will be some glue around the end cap where the pleats are glued to the end cap, but never heard of the whole bottom being covered in glue. Might be worth looking at some other Auto Extra filters at the parts store to see if they are all that way. If so, then it's probably by design.

Actually, I was able to find a photo of a similar wix filter which shows the glue as well. It's the brown stuff.

DSC_1078.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ ... Pretty much normal. That's a nice glue seam ... a little on the large side, but I have seen the same with other filters.

I guess it's not a cause for concern then? No chance of that glue dislodging and getting into the engine?

Originally Posted By: mickey_g
I guess it's not a cause for concern then? No chance of that glue dislodging and getting into the engine?

High doubt it. It's all one big mass of glue that just doesn't "chip off".

Well, it's good to know. I'm sure a big company like Wix has done many tests before they released this design.

You're fine ... every filter with a metal end cap has a seam of glue around it. Never seems to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back